type of mando

1. Oomati
    Oomati
    Who has a bowl back mandolin
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Greetings. My bowl back is a Herwiga made, I believe, in Markneukirchen, eastern Germany. It has a very slight upward bow to the neck so when I first acqired it the action was awkwardly high. However I lowered the bridge to compensate and put very light strings on and now it plays really well.
  3. Oomati
    Oomati
    Me to but I had to move the bridge higher.
  4. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I have two bowlbacks. One is a 100 yr old Stridente and the other has no identification. The Stridente is made from rosewood and looks nice but the other plays and sounds better.
  5. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Oomati- those are interesting instruments you have posted pictures of-the second one is especially pretty. Can you tell us something about them or post sound clip to see what they sound like?
  6. Oomati
    Oomati
    I use to be in a group of mandolin players and thoughs mandolins arn't mine they were other peoples but one of them was built ages ago.
  7. Oomati
    Oomati
    If anyone waants to send me a picture of there mandolin ill be happy to put it on the page, my email is mati.welsh@hotmail.com
  8. Jim Garber
    Jim Garber
    I have quite a few bowlbacks as well as other mandolins. My favorites tho: one made by Gabriele Pandini of Ferrara, italy in 2003 and a teens Vega style three.
  9. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    I am the very excited and proud owner of a circa 1900 John Brandt Bowlback (style 2, I think).
    I made arrangements for the seller to ship it directly to my luthier who will perform basic adjustments and set-up.
    Very glad to be in the Honorary Order of the Bowl!
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    I have a Martin Style 4 - 1903. Inlaid pickguard, Abalone purfling, BRW staves, Engraved German nickel-silver tuner plate - 1-piece, engraved Cloud tailpiece cover, ebony bridge with (glass?) saddle. Fancy fret inlaid MOP markers.
    And I just scored a 1919 Martin Style 6A - 40 fluted BRW staves separated by ivory strips, dark hardwood and ivory 5-ply purfling, Abalone rosette, Fingerboard is Ebony bound in Ivory (I feel a song coming on)...
    And a very old (1900) Vega with fancy fret markers and ivory-bound fretboard. Unfortunately has an unrepaired split in the top (and a few repaired ones) , but still plays... 18 BRW staves.
  11. Rick Schneider
    Rick Schneider
    Eastman Bowl Back - MDB102MS - Serial # 5075
  12. Bill Lemerise
    Bill Lemerise
    Mine is a Martin 1907 style 5. Recently had the set up done and couldn't be happier with the action or the tone.
  13. Rick Schneider
    Rick Schneider
    I now have a La Bottega del Mandolino (Naples, IT) - Magistrale
  14. Lynn DeWeese-Parkinson
    Lynn DeWeese-Parkinson
    I am picking my first up tomorrow. It was made by Lapini of Naples early in the 20th century and restored by luthier David Hynds of Thaims, France in 2011. I will post a photo asap. I would appreciate any information on the maker, restorer, and/or instrument anyone could provide.