Where are you?

1. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Hey, if you live in Ireland & you would like to meet other Mandolin players who may be passing through your area, then why not give folks here an idea of where you live.

Also, if you play Irish Music on your Mandolin & find yourself heading to Ireland on holiday & would like to meet up with Mandolin players while you are here, then perhaps this thread might help you.

As for me, I live right up here on the Causeway Coast of North Antrim & we have sessions here, every Thursday, Friday & Saturday night, throughout the year, to which ALL passing musicians are welcome.

For details, check out these Blogs:

Thursday night: Springhill Bar, Portrush

Friday night: The House of McDonnell, Ballycastle

Saturday night: The Bushmills Inn, Bushmills

Cheers,
    Dick
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well I've got a foot on either side of the Atlantic - I'm living in the States for the time being but am hoping to get back home (I'm from Dublin but home is currently a ramshackle farmhouse in East Galway) for a visit some time this year. My place is only about a 35 minute drive from Tom Cussen's banjo shop in Clarinbridge, one of my favourite places to while away an afternoon - tenor banjos, tenor guitars and mandolins - what more could you want?
  3. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Thanks for joining me!

" .. a ramshackle farmhouse in East Galway) ... 35 minute drive from Tom Cussen's banjo shop in Clarinbridge .. "

That sounds pretty idyllic to me!

Cheers
    Dick
  4. DaveL35
    DaveL35
    I'm based in the West Midlands, England, but I travel regularly to Ireland and play in sessions, as there's not much going on at home.

My usual destination is Co. Clare, and I tend to visit such places as Ennis, Lisdoonvarna and Doolin. The mandolin made for me by Andy Tobin is my normal choice for sessions.
  5. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    Hi Dave, glad to have you with us.

If you ever fancy taking the scenic route to Clare, round by the Giant's Causeway, give me a shout!

Cheers
    Dick
  6. DaveL35
    DaveL35
    It might happen some time, Dick. My g/f has friends in Limavady; if we visit them, I'll try to arrange a stopover in your territory.
  7. Ptarmi
    Ptarmi
    I'll look forward to that!
  8. M.Marmot
    M.Marmot
    Am currently lolling about County France, but i do visit the Limerick city from time to time... goodness knows when the next time will be though
  9. Goodin
    Goodin
    I don't live in Ireland but I have been playing trad. Irish mandolin for a few years now and I play backing guitar, zouk , and some mandolin in my trad. Irish band here in Knoxville, TN, USA. I am working up a trip to Ireland for a few weeks next year, and I hope to stop by many sessions while I'm there. Maybe I can meet some of you!
  10. Shelagh Moore
    Shelagh Moore
    I'm originally from Co Sligo but grew up in England and currently live in Scotland. I've played Irish music and mandolin from being a child and am a regular visitor back home. Looking forward perhaps to meeting up with some of you when I'm over.

Cheers,

Richard
  11. fingersbill
    fingersbill
    Ok, I live near Houston, Tx but plan on going to Ireland in the near future. I play Irish mandolin and have for about a year now. I normally play Irish Tenor Banjo.

Billy
  12. SeanQ
    SeanQ
    Hi there, originally from Belfast now living in Glenavy Co.Antrim. I dont get much chance to go to sessions but play the mandolin regularly in a group that I play with.
    Sean
  13. Francis J
    Francis J
    Hi folks, From Kilkenny, just comming back to mandolin after a long break playing various other stringy things!
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Currently living in L.A. Originally from Limerick and I get back there from time to time... I've been thinking of organizing a "Mandolin Tour" to Ireland if I could get a week's sessions set up in advance in various parts of the country? Anyone interested in hosting a session for a tour?
  15. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    hows it going Dick
    another Belfast man here, so not to far away from ya, will have to get a scalp up to one of your sessions some night. i've been messing about with the mandolin for around 5/6 years now but would be nowhere near session stardard, improving slowly but surely though.

all the best
    Lawrence
  16. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Just noticed this group - how could I have missed it so far?
    I live in Argyll in Scotland, on the shores of the Holy Loch, and originate from Campbeltown in the Mull of Kintyre, which is only about 20 miles from County Antrim as the crow (or in fact the gannet) flies.
    In 2008 and 2009 I played with my band at the 4-day Ulster/Scots Festival in Cairncastle (just outside Larne) and had a great time and made many friends there. We loved our time and sharing music, especially with the young players who were being tutored by, among others, Willie Drennan. We had a lot of good sessions outside the official events.
  17. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    I live in England and have never been to Ireland (although I have every intention to change that). But my area is quite well stocked with sessions playing Irish music, exclusively or among other folk music. If you really want to and have suitable means of transport, 2-3 sessions a week are not a problem.

I don't often go to sessions because I'm still learning to build a repertoire and get up to speed. But it's coming together.
  18. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    I'm in Aurora, Illinois, and have enjoyed learning Irish and Scottish tunes; first on the Mandolin and now on the Fiddle.
    The Cafe has many great resources.
  19. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    From Co. Down, but lived in Belfast for 10 years before moving to the Isle of Man in 2008. Recently took up mandolin but haven't been brave enough to unleash it on a session.
  20. Aran
    Aran
    I'm in Dublin, playing mostly Bluegrass!!
  21. Curley
    Curley
    This thread seems to have gone cold but maybe it's not beyond rekindling.

I'm from the States but I live in Roscommon. There are a few regular weekend sessions around and in nearby Athlone. Could be a good stop on any of your coast-to-coast tours.

I'm still in the beginner stage with the mandolin; working on fundamentals and splitting time with different genres. I'm not overly shy about about my playing but it may still be a while before I jump in on any session.
  22. Urbo39
    Urbo39
    Bonjour à tous !

My first name is Bruno.
    In first I ask you to be lenient with my English whom I practise moderately.

I am French, and I live in the mountains of the department of the Jura which I like! I am 55 years old, my wife has the same age and we have 2 girls and 3 little girls!

I have played of the mandoline for 3 years. I began with “The Loar 370 VSM”. I am fond of the Irish airs particularly. I played of the guitar for a long time and in particular of rhythmic in Irish! I also tease Bobro and occasionally the bodhran!

I do not play any more groups some but I start to attend “slow folk session” of rish.

My musical tastes were mainly influenced by the years rock'n'roll & folk of the 70 '

Greetings with all, and the pleasure of reading you.

Bruno.
  23. Posterboy
    Posterboy
    I'll resurrect this thread. I'm in Galway City, and would love to meet up with other Bluegrass mandolin players, though as a beginner they may not want to meet up with me