Week #71 ~ Hollow Poplar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Hollow Poplar, which was submitted as an Old Time tune. I'm not familiar with this tune, so if the person who submitted it (or anyone else) has anything else to add, please do!

I found this on abc tunesearch: http://abcnotation.com/tunePage?a=www.thursdaycontra.com/~spuds/tunes/reels/allreels/0104

which has this abc

X:104
    T:Hollow Poplar
    M:C|
    K:G
    Bc|"G"d4d2 Bc|d2B2 AGAB|"C"c4 c2 AB|c2B2 AGEG|
    "G"DEGA Bdef|g2f2 edBA| G2 BG "D7"AG F2|"G"G6:|
    |:Bc|"G"d4g4|g2f2e2d2|"D"fa-a2 a2 fg|a2f2 edef|
    "G"gfef gfef|"C"g2 f2 edBA| "G"G2 BG "D7"AG F2|"G" G6:|
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Hollow Poplar .tef file for SN and TABs

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...8&d=1283437540
  3. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    It's a great old time tune in G. Clyde Curley and the Oxymorons recorded it on their Old Time Mandolin cd. Good stuff!

Here's my go at it, played way too fast:

4. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    They must make some powerful espresso out there in California.

That's some fine clean picking, Shaun. Way to go. New mandolin?
  5. Eddie Sheehy
    So I guess Clyde is bald? Nice pickin' Shaun.
  6. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    I screwed it up at a slower pace so I just went for it. No more Starbucks before recording! LOL
    The mando is a Collings MF in honey amber finish. Got it in a trade for a guitar I wasn't playing.
  7. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Shaun, the Collings sounds great and well played. I'm not as fast but I'm doing my best!

8. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    sgarrity, I think this is the fastest I have heard you pick so far. And very clean, too.
    Tosh, your new mando has a lovely sound and I am sure it's bound to become even better over time.
  9. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good stuff Shaun and Tosh. I couldn't find too many versions of this out there, but I did get a great one by Marion Sumner on iTunes so I'm going to try to transcribe that.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    I have a version by Norman Blake that I'm going to murder...
  11. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Not having heard this piece before I played it just following the music provided and it has ended up sounding very similar to Tosh's version which, I suppose, is not all that surprising. Here is the link to the mp3. Played on a Savannah.http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...3&d=1283607081
  12. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Well done Maudlin, I used the abc provided and the only thing I did was change the 3rd line to:

X:71
    T:Hollow Poplar
    T:Old Time Reel
    M:4/4
    L:1/8
    R:Reel
    K: G
    Bc | "G" d4 d2 Bc | d2 B2 AGAB | "C" c4 c2 AB | c2 B2 AGEG
    | "G" DEGA Bdef | g2 f2 edBA | G2 BG "D7" AG F2 | "G" G6 :|
    |: Bc | "G" d4 g4 | g2 f2 e2 d2 | "D" fg a2 a2 fg | a2 f2 edef
    | "G" gfef gfef | "C" g2 f2 edBA | "G" G2 BG "D7" AG F2 | "G" G6 :|
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Great playing and sound, David.
    You make it look almost as effortless as Norman Blake on the DVD I have.
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great versions everyone! And David, your mandonator sounds so sweet!
  15. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great as always Mr Hansen, love the mandonator.....
  16. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Never heard this tune before so I listened to everyone's efforts and an old fiddler to come up with this version. It's played on my 1911 Gibson F2 mandolin. This is my first attempt at placing a video. Hope this works. Enjoy!

Here's a link to the video in case the above doesn't work for your computer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWFtBSdXWwg
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Cool Mando, great pickin'. Looking forward to more.
  18. Toycona
    Toycona
    Nice playing, everyone. I set out to learn this, then discovered that in the tabledit files there were two different versions. So,true to form I've been learning the other one for the last two days. I hope to have a version ready for you all in a couple of days. Really nice playing, Stuche!!! And the mandonator sounds great!
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Stuche, I am using Firefox 3.6.8 (latest version, as far as I know) but I can't see anything in your post. No link, no video.
    Anyone having the same problems?
  20. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Stuche and great mando! Manfred, I use Firefox 3.6.8 and I can see it fine.......
  21. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    GREAT first video, Stuche.
    I have been able to see it on my 'normal' computer. It did not show up on my laptop this morning.
  22. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Great job everyone. I have the same trouble when it comes to watching certain videos , Manfred. I always have to wait a while to see Harry and John Tavy's videos as well. No idea why this is. For anyone who wants good instructions on embedding a movie as opposed to just placing a link, see Old Sausages explanation to me at the end of the thread entitled "Issues Posting Videos." I could be wrong, but embedding seems to be the way that works for all computers.
  23. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Stuche - lovely playing there!!
  24. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a cracking wee tune! I must get away from my usual Scottish/Irish/Celtic diet and have a go after hearing all the great and varied versions posted here. All different and all offering something of the players themselves. Well done, all.
  25. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Sorry Manfred! Don't know what's happening but I've added a link to my original post as a work around. Let me know if this works... Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Well, here's what I've got so far. The Gibson A has to copete with antics from my son and dog for a while, but fortunately, everything settles down in time for my signature flub.

27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Nice playing Stuche, and good to see you posting video. If you use the video icon in the Quick Reply to embed your video most people will see it, but not Manfred on his laptop, and a few handheld devices have a problem with it. If instead you "Go Advanced" and use the YouTube icon, and just put the short code for your video in there (e.g. "sWFtBSdXWwg") then Manfred can see it.

Good job, Marcelyn.
  28. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    I thought this tune would suit you Marcelyn being OT. Love how you keep your foot tapping away there with all the family distractions in the background! Who needs a metronome! No probs with your vid I can see it fine and I think if anyone follows OS's advice there shouldn't be a problem......
  29. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one, Marcelyn!
  30. Grommet
    Grommet
    Great job by all the pickers. Thats a truly sweet old mando Stuche. Always good to hear that Mandonator David!

Scott
  31. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Stuche, welcome! Wonderful playing and lovely tone from your F2. David, loved your versions. Marcelyn and Tosh, great stuff as well.

I'm working on Norman Blake's version of this tune (I think Eddie is too) and it's interesting to see how he adds his own twists to the basic melody.
  32. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Marcelyn, great job! Even more so considering all the distractions.

Don, I am also practicing the Blake version. I am glad Eddie reminded me that this tune is on the Norman Blake DVD. I had learned a couple of other tunes from it, but not this one.
    I am sure you can do his speed. I will have to come up with a slow-motion version.

When Norman Blake plays this tune in his relaxed manner, the tempo doesn't sound fast at all. But when I clock him with my metronome it is way beyond what I can play cleanly.
    His Hollow Poplar is played at about 195 bpm (quarter notes).
  33. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great playing by everyone. Looking forward to hearing some of those Blake versions
  34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Great job Marcelyn and terrific concentration. Love your Gibson A mandolin. Used to have one long ago and I wish I'd NEVER traded it away...they are treasures.

Old Sausage, followed your directions on how to post. No luck this time. Will keep trying until it works correctly.
  35. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Stuche, welcome to the group, and believe it or not, you aren't the first to admire my unique powers of concentration. You can check out my earlier videos for an even more concentrated dose of concentration. By the way, once I found a computer that displayed your video, I really loved it. I can't wait to see more of your posts.

Thanks Jill, OS, Manfred, and Tosh. I think I'll go back to recording during nap times. I was actually amazed how quiet the pair of them could be for a while. In the end, they managed to be distracting only during my decent takes.
  36. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn... I don't so much have a problem with kids & dogs when videoing, since my granddaughter & granddogs are gone.... and I do most of my music videoing on my built in computer camera... but when I'm trying to take photos or video other things with my camera... I am usually subjected to one cat or the other, butting me.... creates quite a wobble!
  37. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's funny, I wonder why they don't do that when you're playing mandolin. That's a video I'd like to see. When you think about it, practicing with three year olds, dogs, and cats has got to be good preparation for busking or performing in a noisy pub.
  38. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Stuche, don't know if it's that Gibson or your mic, but the audio quality of your post is outstanding. Awesome sustain. Pickin' ain't bad either!
  39. Eddie Sheehy
    First attempt at Norman's version... needed to lay down a marker in case I don't get a chance to refine it before I go to Ireland on vacation this week-end... Played on a Vega 205 Cylinderback Mandolin.

40. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Very nice picking Eddie, and a good version too.
  41. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Very nice, Eddie. Norman's version sure has a lot of twists and turns in it.

I hope you have a great time in Ireland. Are you going to get some picking in over there?
  42. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Well done sir! Hope you have a brilliant time back home!
  43. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Martin, it's mostly the mandolin although I did use some very nice recording mics to record it.

I once had a cat who would watch me practice and wait til i took a break -- and then pick up my picks in her mouth and run away with them. She especially liked thumb picks. Guess they looked like bugs to her.

Eddie, cool mandolin and nice picking!
  44. Eddie Sheehy
    Hollow Poplar - SLOOOOOW.

45. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a really fun take on the tune, Eddie. I think I can figure it out pretty well from this sloooow one. Thanks. And have a wonderful trip.
  46. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Here's my take. A bit slower than Kenny Baker, but this is based on his playing of the tune off his old County LP Dry & Dusty.

47. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here it is in G on a Flatiron mandola. I played it a little slower this time.

48. Susanne
    Susanne
    That mandola sounds very good!!! And the speed here is perfect for the tune.
  49. jamann
    jamann
    I'm really digging all the submissions so far. Great stuff from everyone!
    Stuche, I particularly like your version there. Great picking and your F2 sounds wonderful. Keep them coming!
    sgarrity, Your mandola sounds great. Fine picking too.
  50. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Here's mine. Played slowly on my Collings MT2O mandolin. A combination of the ABC from thesessions.org and of the Norman Blake transcription on Mandozine.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast