New fan here

1. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Well, I've been a fan of Lawrence's for some time, but I'm new to the group!

I live down the street from Lawrence in Hailey, ID, and play with him in a band called Spare Change. I have the privilege of being able to stop into his workshop on a regular basis and see what is going on, play some incredible instruments as they come off the bench, and occasionally add my two cents to what is happening.

Lawrence has been kind enough to loan me his personal demo 10 string fanned fret instrument, and he have been building another one that I hope keep permanently. We stained it together on Friday, and I was able to help design the color scheme and apply the base coat of stain. What an amazing instrument the 10 string is, I encourage anyone who can to get their hands on one and try it out!
  2. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    Hi Chip,

It sound like his current build batch is coming to an end! That's great news since I'm in the next one.
  3. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Awesome Marc, what are you getting? I would guess he has a few weeks to go on this batch. Lawrence has been off rafting the Grand Canyon, lucky dog, but should be getting back to work by late this week!
  4. Marc Berman
    Marc Berman
    So that's where he's been! I was wondering when he was going to let me know that it was time to talk. I was actually slated for the batch he is finishing but it was just after tax time ...
    Anyway I going for a F5. I hoping to get one close to one my friend and teacher Wayne Fugate plays. His is fantastic. Here's a look at his. The differences will only be cosmetic - Nickel instead of gold and a different inlay.
  5. Chip Booth
    Chip Booth
    Wayne's mandolin is a beautiful instrument. I love Lawrence's take on the F5 headstock with the Idaho Mountains, and I really like the flower inlay myself. I have yet to play a Smart instrument that I wouldn't be happy to call my own, so I am sure you will love yours when it is ready.