Week #77 ~ Hewlett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Since it was a tie I selected the Tune alphabetically so Hewlett it is.
    ABCs from theSessions.org

X: 1
    T: Hewlett
    M: 3/4
    L: 1/8
    R: waltz
    K: Dmaj
    A2|D2 D2 FG|AB c2 A2|d2 f2 fg|fe d3B|
    A2 F2 F2|G2 GBAG|AF D2 D2|D4:|z2|
    A2 D2 AB|A2 D2 AB|A2 d2 d2|dc BA GF|
    G2 G,2 GA|G2 G,2 GA|G2 GA BG|AF D3E|
    FE F2 G2|AB c2 A2|fe fg ag|fe d3B|
    A2 F2 F2|G3A BG|AF D2 D2|D4||
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Can not go wrong with a planxty
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    True, true, no losers in that close race. I'm already on it.
  5. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    And just what does that word mean? I think i remember that Boxty is some sort of spud dish. All I can find is that it is the name of a defunct Irish Band.
  6. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    "Planxty" is a word used by the classic harper "Turlough O'Carolan" in many of his works, and is believed to denote a tribute to a particular person: "Planxty Irwin", for example, would be in honor of Colonel John Irwin of Sligo. If he stayed at a persons house, he would write them a tune to pay his way and so on....
  7. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    I have an idea. If there is a tie, maybe make both tunes the winner but must be played as a set or combined some how. Would make for an interesting twist.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    A Planxty is a happy tune usually written by O'Carolan in praise of one of his sponsers or friends... Since there is no X or Y in the Gaelic language the nearest approximation would be Pleancstai - There used to be a Radio program when I was a kid called "Pleancstai Ghearoid". Sin a bhfuil.
  9. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    No learning this week, I've known this tune for a very long time. I usually play this on the concertina or flat pick it on the guitar so playing it on a mando is something I don't do often.

10. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely David! And I quite enjoyed all the visual effects as well!
  11. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Just beautiful!
  12. Grommet
    Grommet
    Nicely done David. I've lately been working on Carolan's Concerto, Loftus Jones, and Shebeeg 'n Shemore, but this on is going on my list also.

Scott
  13. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Very nice version David. I thought I knew this tune but now I need to learn your version. Very nice!
  14. agundrum
    agundrum
    Here's a variation of the ABC version above, classified as a Waltz

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/ir...sic/008153.HTM

and here's a website "The Complete Works of Turlough O'Carolan". MIDIs, ABCs and sheets for each piece! Very nice.

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/occ/tunes.html
  15. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice playing David. Here is my mp3 played on a Savannah.http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...4&d=1287236374
  16. Toycona
    Toycona
    Very beautiful, David. Now I want to learn this one.
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    Excellent David. I've also heard this tune called Slainte Bhrea Hewlitt (The Good Health of Hewlitt) maybe that's where "planxty" came from...
  18. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic David, you make it look so easy! Here's my attempt, not sure where I was near the end!

19. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    I will get to this shortly. Need to focus on small gig tomorrow at fall festival.
  20. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, David, Duncan, and Tosh for the fine examples to practice with. Here's my try at Planxty Hewlett.

21. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Marcelyn that's great, love the slides.....
  22. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Two great versions, two great sounding mandolins - well done Tosh and Marcelyn!
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    As always very nice playing David, Tosh and Marcelyn. Here's my effort at Hewlett using a Gibson F2 and backed up with a George Baeur Parlour guitar.

24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice one Stuche - what a great version!
  25. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    What a beautiful tune! Thanks everyone! It offered me much needed inspiration tonight!
  26. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, Stuche! I can't believe the emotion and expressiveness you get out of that mandolin.
  27. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Funny how there are 442 members and only like 12 or so people voted on a tune. Kind of a representation of how US citizens vote (a lot do not).
  28. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Lovely playing Stuche.
    With regard to the low vote on the poll, as the point of the group is to learn new songs, no-one will vote for a song they already know and how are they to choose between songs they are not familiar with? How do you choose which tune to vote for?
  29. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    @jhuesgen and MM, At any one time there may only be 15-20 'active' members. Folks seem to drift in and out, mainly due to outside distractions. Myself, as i am learning the fiddle at the moment, have not been as active as i was in the past, but still like to vote and learn the tunes "offline" as-it-were. I'm also AWOL during much of camping season, too, but i do play the tunes around the campfire.
    Not to speak for any others but, if i am unfamiliar with a tune, i will try to find it on Youtube or search sites for the ABCs, before placing my vote. There are also some folks who not only know EVERY tune ever written but know them by several Different names.
    What about every body else???

michael
  30. Eddie Sheehy
    Yeah, Mike. Except for the fiddle and the camping bit. That and I always vote (might have missed one or two) and I post most of the tunes - even the ones I know. Sometimes I can't get the tune in my head and then I just pass on those. I'll maybe get to them when they "click".
  31. mculliton123
    mculliton123
    Eddie, i get stuck sometimes, too. Just can't get the tune to 'play-back' in my brain. And ,To tell the truth, i sometimes like the "Other Tunes" that get posted occasionally. Eddie has often inspired me with his eclectic selection of music. Fistfull of Dollars comes to mind
  32. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I tend to vote for songs that I don't know but have heard of. Learning a new song is fun, but I'm picking and choosing with the goal of building up a popular repertoire which others will be likely to play along with. Then, of course, there's the weeks I vote purely based on title. How could you not want to learn Shove That Pig's Foot Closer to the Fire or Cluck Old Hen?
  33. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Stuche, I love the oval hole Gibbo......as for voting, I'm more for the traditional side of things but it's great to try the Old Time and Bluegrass stuff.....
  34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    I usually vote for a song I've never heard before in a style I know very little about. It's really nice to see and hear how others play a song who are versed in that style and tradition. For instance, I don't know any Irish mandolin players and don't really know how they approach things (until I joined this Social Group at Mandolin Cafe.) But now I get to see and hear how they actually play a song in the "Irish" tradition and I can learn from them...what could be better than that?
  35. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for all the great versions and the wonderful playing above.
    My version seems to be different from most, but here is what I found in the Fiddler's Fakebook. (not all ornaments played )

36. Eddie Sheehy
    Slainte Bhrea Hewlitt. Played on a Beard Zouk - GGDDAAEE.

37. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woah, Manfred, I can't imagine which ornament you left out. The rolls really brought that version to life. I'm going to work on some of those.

Darn it, Eddie, would you please stop making me want a big mandolin?
  38. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen
    Great last two posts .
  39. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Manfred & Eddie. I sort of realized that I am neglecting the bottom end of the 10 string, so I had another bash at it on the lower end, and I know I have to work at it a bit more!.....

40. jhuesgen
    jhuesgen

I know they all sound the same, but needed to get mine up. Ignore the buzzing sound in the background during the first few seconds, I had to go to work and this was the best take.
  41. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Any suggestions on a matching chord progression to go along with the .tef file at the top of the page? It seems to start out with a D F# G thing, but I was wondering if there was a complete traditional progression to work on?
  42. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This is what we use for chords on Hewlett
    A: D A Bm G D G D D (repeat)
    B: D D D D Em Em G D
    D A Bm G D G D D
  43. Douglas McMullin
    Douglas McMullin
    Thanks Barbara, I will give those a try.
  44. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a variation on the chords. The really neat thing about this tune are the many ways you can play the backup. These chords are nearly the same as Barbara's. Key of D
    A part: D A Bm G D A D D
    B part: D D/C# G/B D/A G D/F# Em Asus D A Bm G D A D D

(D/C# means play a D chord with a C# as the lowest bass note. (i.e. chord/bass note)
  45. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've just noticed that Hewlett and Lord Inchiquin were both TOTW a while ago -- I had posted versions to the general Carolan thread and now repost them where they should have been to start with:

Martin
  46. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Just trying to catch up on almost two years of missing this treasure. Geez.....what a great learning site. The more videos I do, the more confident I feel about my playing. It sometimes takes me probably a hundred tries before I get a video I can post, but it's worth it. And to be in the midst of such great mandolin talent is such a rush!

Thanks for being here and listening!

Jim

ps....if anyone has a suggestion on how to control my left pinkie I would appreciate it!
  47. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Jim. That was nicely picked. It had my toe a tappin. And, I think your pinkie just wanted to dance.
    Maybe pick a few songs you like that keep your pinkie busy. Then play them every day. Then maybe
    it'll decide to hang around on it's own.
    Gary
  48. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Thanks Gary.....I try that!

Jim
  49. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    I took these photos today walking around downtown in my hometown of Springfield Missouri.
  50. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Sounds good Dusty and nice pics.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast