Bagpipes to Mandolin; anybody near Philly?--newbie introduction

1. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    Hi all.

I'm new to mandolin. So new, in fact, that I don't have one yet.

I've been working with a local store owner who is also assistant conductor of a local mandolin orchestra. He is steering me in the direction of a Kentucky 150, an A model. Not that great looking, but it sounds OK and the reviews are pretty good at the Cafe, from what I read.

I've played a few instruments over my lifetime. My main ones were guitar and Great Highland Bagpipe. However, since picking up the bagpipes, I haven't done much with the guitar. I am interested in a quieter instrument and I remembered that I used to love listening to Vivaldi's Mandolin Concertos as a kid, over and over again.

Taking up the mandolin is the fulfillment of a childhood dream.

I'm interested primarily in playing it in a church choir to fill out the sound of the instrumentalists. As I will be competing with two guitars and possibly a flute or drum, I'm looking at the Kentucky 150 mainly because it has f-holes to help with projection. However, I am also interested in celtic music (for obvious reasons), so I recognize that the Kentucky won't exactly be aesthetically pleasing to others should I join a session.

So, anybody near Philly? What is the Philly mandolin scene like?

Nate the Deaf Piper
  2. Garden Music
    Garden Music
    Welcome to the Cafe and to the Newbies, Nate! I have a Kentucky KM505, which is also an A style with F holes. I like it a lot so far.

Karen
  3. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    I thought of getting something a little better, like a Loar, but the funds aren't there (something about Christmas coming), and I want to play it safe in case I discover that the mandolin is not for me. Anybody know if the KM-150 has decent resalw value?

I listened to a video on YouTube of the KM505, it sounds nice!
  4. Ladyfingerpicker
    Ladyfingerpicker
    Hello, Nate:

Yes, I live near Philly! The mandolin scene around here is rich and varied, with many jams and seisuns! I'd like to name a few but I don't yet know what the rules are in this Forum; am I allowed to give the names of bars and other venues where there are jams? If not, I can send you a private message.

I just joined up yesterday (finally), though I'm not a newbie to the mandolin. Still, for as long as I've owned one and noodled around with it, I only decided to actually PLAY the mandolin (and purchase a couple of well-made mandos) five or six years ago. Even now, I am at amateur level, having taught myself and thereby having developed a playing style full of bad habits such as picking without a pick. So, I'm a newbie at playing the mandolin properly!

Anyway, Nate, best of luck as you choose your mandolin. I advise you to play a lot of different makes and models to find not only the sound but the size, neck shape and nut width that's the right fit for you!

Sharon
  5. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    I am just starting out, so I don't know if I'm ready for a seisun yet. Hope to meet the Philly crew at some point, though.
  6. Ladyfingerpicker
    Ladyfingerpicker
    Understood, Nate. Okay, then, here are a couple of places to get started:

Philadelphia Folksong Society www.pfs.org
    Send them an email detailing your situation, and they may be able to direct you to some places in the city, such as.....

The Mermaid Inn www.themermaidinn.net
    In the Mount Airy section of Philly, just off of Germantown Avenue. Their seisun is once a month on a Wednesday (check their calendar for the dates -- it's earlier than usual in November because of Thanksgiving!). Open to all levels of performers. Even if you don't feel that you could keep up with their music, they are definitely the "crew" you want to meet, so it's a good place to "network".

If you are willing to drive farther afield...

Bucks County Folk Song Society, Wrightstown, PA www.bucksfolk.org
    Meetings once a month in the school building on the grounds of the Wrightstown Friends Meeting House (first Sunday of the month, unless there's a holiday, then the meeting gets bumped to the second Sunday). Meetings begin with either a circle (one song per participant) or a featured performer, then snacks and jamming. Jams include a fiddle-tune gathering in one room, and all performance levels are welcome; in fact, most participants are still learning the tunes and playing at a relatively slow tempo, so this is a good place for beginners to go. It's a very friendly and welcoming club. I am the current President as well as the perpetual Newsletter Editor, so I attend virtually all meetings. If you decide to attend, let me know and I'll make sure there's a mando available for you to borrow... bring your bagpipes too!

Celtic Cultural Alliance (events in the Bethlehem, PA area)
    Go to www.cca.us.com and click on “CCA Calendar"

Godfrey Daniels 7 East 4th St., Bethlehem, PA
    Go to www.godfreydaniels.org or call 610-867-2390
    Their Irish seisiun is the 1st Wednesday, at 7:30 pm (free admission).

Finally, here is a web page with Celtic venues in Pennsylvania. Contact the ones local to you and get to know the musicians who play there: http://www.scmatx.org/specsvcs/venues/pennsylvania.htm

Good luck, and I hope to meet you!
    Sharon
  7. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    Thanks!
  8. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    Hey guys.

I'm having some trouble with getting a mandolin. I have what I want picked out, but the person I am dealing with to order the mandolin (who also would be a potential instructor) just hasn't followed through with getting back to me about getting a mandolin. I understand that this person has been busy with music shows lately, but I haven't heard anything and apparently others at this person's store are not allowed to order the mandolin.

I'm going to give it until the end of the week. After that, do you have any suggestions for instructors and luthiers in the Philadelphia area? I would probably order a mandolin from one of the sponsors here and get it set up by a local luthier and begin instruction somewhere around here. I am particularly interested in mandolin instructors in Delaware County, PA (near Philly).

Thanks.
  9. Ladyfingerpicker
    Ladyfingerpicker
    Hi, Nate:

What is the model you decided on? I'm a bit surprised to hear that you intend to order a new one, since you're just starting out on the instrument. You could most likely find a better-made mando, used, for the same amount of money. Also, have you tried out a lot of different makes and models so that you'll know that the mando you're buying will be the right fit for you? Have you played mandos with different nut widths, neck styles, body shapes, etc.?

If not, I recommend a field trip for you before you make a commitment. Go to Staten Island and visit the Mandolin Brothers store. Website: www.mandoweb.com They have the most comprehensive assortment of mandolins to try out, rooms to try them out in without background noise, a superbly knowledgable staff, and a reputation that can't be beat. You may even decide to purchase a mando then and there, although of course the sales tax is higher than in PA, and you may well find the same model at a better price on the internet or, as you say, by ordering from a sponsor here.

But don't just buy a new instrument from the owner of a local store because he says it's right for you. Remember, he's the one who will be taking your money, so be sure he isn't also taking you for a ride. He might be steering you toward a particular model because of the commission he'll get, not because of any concern he has for his customer. From your description, it sounds as though he doesn't have much concern for you as a customer anyway!

Since I'm not from the Delaware County area, I don't know of anyone personally whom I could recommend. I will, however, advise you again to get to know more of the players in the area and ask them your questions about local instructors and places to get your mando set up.
  10. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    I worked out the differences and now am the proud owner of a The Loar 400VS. Lessons start Friday.
  11. Ladyfingerpicker
    Ladyfingerpicker
    Congratulations! Good luck, and have fun!

Sharon
  12. Nate the Deaf Piper
    Nate the Deaf Piper
    Thanks!