R: jig
    K: Ador
    |:eAA eAA|BAB GBd|eAA eAA|def gfg|
    eAA eAA|BAB GAB|def ged|BAG A3:|
    eaa aga|bag ged|eaa aga|bag a3|
    eaa aga|bag ged|def ged|BAG A3:|
  2. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Great stuff Martin, it's a great tune. Maudlin Mandolin played this for our group. I think we should resurrect!!
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    Well played Martin. I like the sound of your banjo.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Love that banjo, Martin. I'm glad I got the Song of the Week in early this time. There are so many fun extras coming out to learn.
  5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Thanks folks. I like the way Maudlin did that Tosh. I had to slow it down quite a bit for banjo as we are still in the getting aquainted stage.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    That's definitely the next on my todo list when I am finished with Blodaur Drain. Wonderfully honest and essential rendition on the banjo - who needs ornaments?
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Man, I love this tune. Here I am trying to get ready to hit the road... dare I take the time to try to record it?
  8. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice one Martin - you're making me miss my tenor banjo now!
  9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I dared! Here it is one time through, played on my Collings MT2O mandolin, with my Petersen octave mandolin on rhythm.

10. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Wow, that was fast! Accompaniment and all. It really sounds nice.
  11. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Good golly Miss Barbara, you whipped that right out! Sounds great too! Now, get thee to Colorado!
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Great job there Barbara - that was awesome!
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    Really cool.
  14. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Wow Barb, such simple happiness!
  15. Eddie Sheehy
    Played on a Beard bouzouki - GGDDAAEE

16. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Great work Eddie! Are you shy today?
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    The Zoom Q3 was set to zoom mode... I was hoping to capture the finger-stretches... the zouk is 24" Scale.
  18. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Sounds very good Eddie, though we didn't get to see much. Whatever those stretches were like, apparently you managed.
  19. Susanne
    Susanne
    Sounds great!!
  20. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is one fun jig to practise, though it drove me nuts in the second measure of the A part, but here goes.

21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Excellent Bertram! Love that booming bass at the end. Let it ring!
  22. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Fantastic Bertram, love it and like Martin says, you can't beat the booming bass!!! Great stuff.....
  23. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Thanks Martin and Tosh.
    You've got a potential boomer yourself, Tosh - haven't seen that 'cello in a while
  24. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    With all the inspiring renditions so far, I thought I'd try my hand at this one. I'm playing my Breedlove OF Quartz mandolin. Tried this at 120 bpm, but couldn't keep up, so doing it at 110 bpm. Wish I could add some rhythm background to the recording, but had fun anyway doing this solo with my metronome.

Jim
  25. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice job there Jim!
  26. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    That was great, Jim. I can't imagine it being played any faster than you just did!
  27. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Did a quick Tenpenny Bit version while Monica made supper..
  28. woodenfingers
    woodenfingers
    Hi Marty, that was great. I hadn't heard this tune before so we gave it a go in our trio. We need to pick the speed up a bit and get a better recording but here is what we have:

[mp3=0]http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=121858&d=1406122008=1][/mp3]
  29. James Rankine
    James Rankine
    Great versions Marty and Bob.
    I first came across this tune On the Waterboy's fisherman's blues album (highly recommended) where it appeared as "When will we be married?". It was listed as traditional and I remember it took some detective work to track down the origins of the tune. So thanks guys for reminding me of this tune and taking me back to my original encounter with it. I've posted it here for those not familiar with it. They are still going strong - saw them in concert about a year ago but a bit too much electric rock and not enough acoustic/traditional for my tastes (the mandolin only made an appearance on one song - blink and you'd miss it - oh the fate of our lowly instrument).
  30. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    enjoyed relearning this one , had forgotten how good a tune it is

31. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Very nice, Lawrence. What a great tune. Those strings sure sing under your fingers !!
  32. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine steady playing, I’m still tapping my foot!
    Thanks Lawrence, this is actually the third or fourth tune years ago that I was unable to play... until today.
  33. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Here's a link to when the Ten Penny Bit was a Tune of the Week.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...243&do=discuss
  34. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely stuff Lawrence!
  35. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    What a great sound you are getting out of that instrument, Lawrence - and your playing is a big contributory factor in this!
    Michael, thanks for posting the reminder of the original thread. I had forgotten about this one and have just been back on the thread having a listen to the offerings once again.
  36. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That mando matches the tune and really brings out the mystery tones. I love tunes you can get lost in, and you pulled that off here Lawrence.
  37. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks Lawrence! Great bouncy playing as usual.
  38. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Lawrence, with that mandolin's strength in the midrange boosting the driving parts of the tune, and you knowing how to use it