Julia Delaney

1. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    For quite a while, I have looked for a good matching reel to place in front of Star of Munster in a set (for because of it's ending, Star of Munster can hardly be anything but the last tune in a set, except you let it dissolve into Gravel Walks, which I refrained from for the time being). I searched YouTube for what other people play before Star of Munster and came across Julia Delaney, which I already heard on a Contratopia CD. So here it is, with one round of Star of Munster to demonstrate the connection.

The ABC on thesession.org is somewhat misleading (you'd have to play each part 4 times from that score), so here is, roughtly, what I play:

X: 1
    T: Julia Delaney's
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: reel
    K: Ddor
    dcAG F2DF|E2DE FED2|dcAG FGAA|Addc d2fe|dcAG F2DF|E2DE FED2|dcAG FGAA|Addc d4:||
    f2fe fagf|ecgc acgc|f2fe fagf|edcG Add2|f2fe fagf|ecgc acgc|f2fe fed2|edcG Add2:||
  2. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Thanks for posting that Bertram - it's a very rainy Saturday here so the perfect opportunity to sit in and learn a new tune! I usually play the Star of Munster in the following set: The Congress/Down the Broom/Star of Munster, but it's nice to have other options so Julia Delaney's is definitely on today's "to learn" list!
  3. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    I'm afraid I'm on a video blitz here today, posting 4 in a row! Ran across this in "other tunes" and glad Bertram posted this one. It's a fun one, although I admit I couldn't video the Star of Munster with it cuz I goofed too many times.....so this is just JD by itself.

Jim
  4. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Good one Jim, it has that drive that makes this tune my favourite. Haven't heard any goofs from you yet, so you roused my curiosity
  5. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Target almost achieved before 9 May!
    Julia Delaney’s is 99th on my list, one more to go.
    -though there are some duds on the list too so I’ll probably have to load you guys down with a couple more, maybe a nostalgic Christmas Carol compilation... if that’s ok.

6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Bouncy-pointed hornpipiness, gives it that light touch of ballet. Good approach, Simon!
  7. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Three interesting versions here.

I came across this tune in O’Neill’s Music of Ireland. It has the same dots (dcAG …) at the first measure and some further similarities but two sharps in the key signature. I don’t dare to name the mode. It sounds quite different but nice, too.
  8. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    No Simon - it's not Ok..stay with 100 - not like 104 - ish ....You said you would make 100 on your birthday and sing Happy Birthday. just my humble opinion.
  9. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok Ginny, sounds good, 100 compete tunes played on the octave mandolin with no doubled up tunes in different keys it is then.
  10. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Here's a "Julia Delaney" version following "Catharsis" recorded with my friend Amy.

11. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Mike - great sound, you and Amy did a wonderful job! First time I've heard the tune Cartharsis -definitely one to learn.

Thanks for posting.
  12. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Wow! You both play so synchronous. Great sound.
  13. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Fantastic! That was really good. And mandolin and fiddle is something we don't get too often here.
  14. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    Wow - that was awesome !
  15. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Aha - this time you were the first one, Amy playing on top of your solid timing and having a reason to laugh at the end. Very good virtual session!
  16. Mark Gunter
    Mark Gunter
    I tried this one shortly after I picked up the mandolin, and when I hear the video it nearly hurts my ears with sloppy staccato playing - but I don't have much time for recording lately, so here is my rank beginner version from back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6VTbOchk6c

17. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Like it, Mark! Mr. Metronome is our friend.
  18. Gelsenbury
    Gelsenbury
    Your sloppy staccato playing is my aspiration...