#4, #71, #83 Here

1. John Beck
    John Beck
    Howdy Folks,

Just discovered this group, and I figured I ought not keep all this awesomeness to myself. I uploaded a photo to the group of my three little darlins. Despite appearances to the contrary, I don't have any particular affiliation with Ben, and it's purely by chance that I own three of his mandolins at the same time (well, good workmanship may have something to do with it too). I have owned quite a few other mandolins over the years . Anyhow, It all started with a re-fret job he did such an excellent job on for me years ago before I had ever played a BRW. He did such a good job that when the opportunity came...

I have owned #4 (August 2000) for about 6 or 7 years, she is a real hoss. Certainly an early example of Ben's work, and quite different from the more recent instruments. It has a lot of honest bluegrass power and rather complex, bell-like tone an the treble side. Not the same kind of pop as his more recent stuff that I've played, but more dry woody bluegrass 'woof'. Could benefit from a touch more articulation in the high end for my tastes, but not muddy by any means and she has a surprising clarity in the low-end fundamentals. When I got her, she was in pristine condition. Oops. Has a higher neck angle than the other two and sports a high bridge. Not entirely sure about all the appointments - probably laquer on red spruce, but never verified. Color is a bright yellow sunburst -over the years the front has faded to be more brownish, but the back apparently hasn't gotten as much sun and is noticeably brighter. The fingerboard is flat, and maybe a touch on the wide side.

I had Ben build #71 for me (July 2007). Despite the difficulties posed by the English language in conveying accurate sentiments regarding the nuances of sound, Ben did an amazing job understanding what I was looking for and translating that into a mandolin. She is a real sweetheart, with surprising strength and balance. Not your typical bluegrass mandolin, the sound has Ben's signature pop, and the notes are very fundamental in character. I'm really interested to see how she sounds in a few years. Laquer on red spruce. Radiused fingerboard.

I didn't want another mandolin. But some things you feel in your gut and from time to time you just have to go with that - and an approval period of course! Is this why I'm not married? ...

#83 (august 2008) is my current pride and joy. I acquired her over year ago from some poor fellow who wanted a more traditional looking mandolin. I really like understatement in the looks department (hence the very clean look of 71), but Blondie just oozes class. The sound is really her main attraction, as should be the case. Clear as a bell, with similar overall characteristics as 71, but quite a bit more complex in tone, and maybe not quite as much raw cutting power in the upper end. Easily controlled dynamics. She is quite a bit like a mix between 4 and 71 - kinda dry and sparkly at the same time. Varnish on red spruce I believe. Radiused fingerboard.

All are set up rather low and are very responsive under the pick. One of the tonal similarities between them that is important to me is that none of them are tinny sounding. All of them have real body in the deep end. All of them just make me smile when I play them have their own little subtleties with which they entice me to try to find the appropriate way to exploit in whatever musical situation I happen to be involved in.

In the interest of furthering subjective mandolin science everywhere, I also have to say that #4 is a very different mandolin than when I obtained her. And really much of the change has been in the last couple years. I'm really excited to see how the other two change with age. I keep trying to sell one, and people keep offering to buy them unsolicited, but I just can't seem to bring myself to let go. I guess that's something I'll just have to deal with.

If you're more curious about the sound, check out the Myspace pages for Coal Train, County Line, or Bosco and Whiteford - probably Facebook pages for those too... not my job All three mandolins were used in those recordings. #4 for the Coal Train and B&W stuff, #71 for half the County Line, #83 for the other half. 71 was maybe a week old when the recording was made, and 4 would have been 5 years at that time of the Coal Train recordings, 83 was a year, maybe year and a half old. I can get more specific recordings to anyone interested in the mandolins.

Ben's always been great to deal with. He's a real helpful guy and willing to go out of his way to help me when I've needed it. It was a lot of fun working with him throughout the building process.

It's sure cool to have a place to show off our toys - hope you enjoy getting to know mine a little better! I've certainly appreciated the opportunity to get a glimpse of some more of Ben's mandolins, so thanks and have fun pickin'!
  2. maxlipnick
    maxlipnick
    Hey John,

7 years late to the party here. I was really glad to discover this post. I recently took a trip to Nashville where I was planning on picking up a new mandolin. After many trips back and forth between Gruhn and Carter, I finally decided BRW #4 was the one for me. Its meaty highs and bluegrass tone stood out from all the other F5s I came across in that same price range.

Do you have any videos or recordings of you playing the mandolin? Would love to hear them.

Thanks!

-Max