Introduction....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    A social group.... but no discussions yet! I'll start.... I've got a Weber Bridger A mandolin, and I don't play bluegrass, I play melody in mostly Celtic, Old-Time, New England fiddle tunes. The mandolin was my first stringed instrument (I played piano as a child, and pop organ as a teenager).... I started with the mandolin just 4 years ago (how time flies!)... I've branched out to include the octave mandolin, mandola, cittern & tenor banjo!

I live, most of the time, on a farm in central Iowa, but also have my home (where I'm from) in Texas, just south of Houston.

Next.....

Barb
  2. Gerry Cassidy
    Gerry Cassidy
    I got my first mandolin (not a Weber) back in 1977 after hearing Nancy Wilson play one on Heart's Little Queen album. I didn't start taking it seriously until about 10 years ago. I was back home, in North County and played a Bridger OM hanging on the wall at Buffalo Bros. The fire was rekindled.

I was playing enough to justify getting my first Bridger F4 about 4-5 years ago. Last year when my F4 was back at Weber for some warranty work I was given a loaner. That turns out to be my Bighorn that I just couldn't give back. Also, while my F4 was in the shop, the opportunity came along to get the original, prototype Bridger F4. I traded my F4 for it and have enjoyed it since.

I play ITM, Contra, and Americana. Don't know a lick of Bluegrass. In ITM I switch back & forth between Mando, Octave/Zouk, and Tenor Banjo. I play Mando and Bass in the Contra, and Americana stuff.

Next...
  3. CBeaver
    CBeaver
    Im only a shy 22 years old, so my mandolin background is meager compared to some of yall. I got my first mandolin around 7 years ago, a Fender A style and then a few years later a Fender F style. I eventually began to crave a hand built American instrument and happened to stumble across a 99 Gallatin F in great shape. They wanted under 1k for it so naturally I immediately traded in my other two mandos and paid the difference. I could not be more pleased by the tone of the instrument along with the overall fit and finish. It speaks volumes about the company that even one of the lower models has the attention to detail that is second to none.

Chris

Next...
  4. JeffD
    JeffD
    Hey all.

I have a Weber Aspen II, which has proven to be able to handle any kind of music I throw at it. (i.e. the mandolin is never the limiting factor - the player on the other hand...)
  5. Bob Andress
    Bob Andress
    Hi Folks!
    Just like the Beav, I started about 7 years ago with a Fender A. Around Christmas I upgraded to an Eastman 515. I recently played a Weber Bitterroot at a show and fell in love. The wide neck and the big frets are the opposite of my Eastman and just what I needed. I've paid my deposit and the folks at Weber are building me a modified Coyote (sold exclusivley through The Mandolin Store.) That's an F style, buckskin/matte finish and I'm havng them put on tortoise binding all over, black tuner buttons and a black filled tailpiece. I won't have her untill late June, early July but couldn't wait to join this group! It is my hope that my Coyote meets all expectations and no matter the severity of MAS, it will always stay with me and I always stay in this Weber group.
    You all have a great day!
    Bob
  6. Gerry Cassidy
    Gerry Cassidy
    Slim, it looks as though your Coyote is going to be just the perfect mando to have a bunch of fun with!

My opinion of Weber is Bruce and his folks work hard to produce excellent mandolins at affordable prices. Professional level playability and performance at a price that some of us can spend without breaking our bank accounts.

Dennis is another great guy to deal with. I bought an Eastman 814 from him about 5 years ago and that was just the beginning. He's such a great guy to work with.

He has sold a whole ton of Webers and has had the chance to hear feedback on what people like, and don't like about them. That's why he comes up with special editions' like HP's in the pics, and Slim's Coyote. If you've never spoken with him, give him a call and he'll talk your ear off about mandos!

A Weber may not be your first mando, may not be your last, but from my experience, time spent playing a Weber is as fun as about any out there.
  7. Bob Andress
    Bob Andress
    Mr. Cassidy,

Comments such as yours do not make my wait any easier. They do, however, make me feel great about my choice. Thank you.
    And I love that photo of you with Mike and Chris. Nice!
  8. Omer
    Omer
    Hello all,

I picked up the mandolin for the first time 2.5 years ago to restart my attempt at playing music, mostly Old Time and Irish. I had been trying to learn the fiddle for about 10 years without much success, when I realized that at 54 time was an issue. Knowing both instruments are tuned in 5ths and have approximately the same scale length the mandolin seemed like the obvious choice. I have always liked the sound of the mandolin and so now I find myself practicing dutifully and having alot of fun. My Weber Hyalite may be humble but is beloved. Every time I pick it up I'm amazed at the craftsmanship of those folks at Weber. Funny, a well made instrument almost seems to endorse being played.

Omer
  9. Jon Hall
    Jon Hall
    Hi y'all

I've had my Absaroka for about 10 years. It has met all of my expectations. I play mostly old time, celtic and rag time. Recently I've been learning some bluegrass and world music such as South Ameican, Mexican and Russian.
    Although there are a lot of mandolins played in my part of Texas, mine is the only Weber I've seen in my neck of the woods.
  10. Eddie Sheehy
    Hello Everyone,
    I've had 2 few Webers and a pancake flatiron and a Gibson F5L made by Bruce. The Webers were: an Absaroka, a Gallatin Mandola (mahoganey),. The only Weber I currently own is a Big Sky Octave Mandolin. I'll play just about any kind of music on it, from Blues to Irish Trad with a little BG and Classical thrown in. I nearly have as much joy out of gazing at it as I do playing it.
  11. Capt. E
    Capt. E
    I bought my Weber Bighorn for my birthday last year. I started learning mandolin a year ago when I was seduced by a Mid-Missouri in a pawn shop. Then I found a very nice 70's vintage mahogany body "Shiro" A. Still have the Shiro.

The mandolin is my first serious attempt to learn a string instrument, my other instrument is a one-row Cajun button accordion. I tend to play traditional folk, old-time, celtic/Irish, and a bit of bluegrass. I also play cajun fiddle tunes: though mandolin is rather rare in that genre it works fine. My musical interests tend to come out of the folk revival of the 1960's. Why I didn't start playing 40 years ago, I am not quite sure. I have always "fooled around" with instruments of various kinds.

I guess you can tell I steer away from the ordinary. Two-point mandolins and cajun accordions are both rather uncommon. They do get attention, plus both are high quality instruments. That really speeds the learning process. My Weber is my favorite.
  12. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    I got my Custom Weber Aspen 2 back in March (used from Elderly) and it's so comfortable and easy to play that it kinda feels like I've always had it - I've played it so much since it arrived that it really is hard to believe that it's only been in my possession for about 6 weeks!

I started seriously pursuing mandolin playing about 9 months ago - prior to that I really considered myself more of a tenor banjo player (and prior to the banjo I played guitar in punk bands for years...). I play Irish trad stuff.
  13. Bluman
    Bluman
    Hi to all. I started with a Washburn Jethro Burns and then last spring I purchased my Yellowstone. It has a mat finish over a cedar top and maple back and side. I mostly follow bluegrass but like all kinds of music.
  14. dulcillini
    dulcillini
    Good Evening Weber Fans ! I own a Yellowstone "A" mandolin and a Bridger "A" mandola. I play mountain dulcimer as well. Relative newcomer to mandolin/mandola, but loving every minute I spend with these two guys. Weber people have been so nice to deal with, answering every question. I hope to visit the shop one day.
  15. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    I have been playing banjo for the past 32 years, but was diagnosed with Focal Dystonia in my right hand. It's a weird neurological condition that affects the signal between my hand and brain. It's the same condition that affected several great players like Tom Adams, Steve Dilling, and Nick Hornbuckle. Anyway, I decided that I needed to learn a new instrument. I decided to learn to play mandolin. I bought a used Eastman 615 from another Cafe member in November, but quickly decided that I wanted a world class instrument. After playing a couple different brands of mandos (Collings, Gibson, etc), I decided that I wanted a Weber. I talked to Tony at Weber and to every music store that I could. I finally contacted Kyle at the Mando Shop in Florida, and he was able to help me buy a new Weber Yellowstone within my budget. This thing is great. I've since been learning a ton of fiddle tunes and am scheduled to attend the Monroe camp at the end of summer.
  16. Gerard Dick
    Gerard Dick
    Hi I am 57 years young and have been playing mandolin for 4 years. I played piano as a kid and was good but didn't like it. I got into guitar around '74 but never got past chords. I just couldn't figure it out. An industrial accident cost me half an inch of index finger on my left hand and wrote off guitar playing. A friend got me started by loaning me his spare mando and within a week I knew I had to have one. My first was a KY 350 off ebay and I got lucky. It had no major issues. My second one was a Fender OM. Last year I went to Elderly's with intent to adopt a used Gibson but when I played it it, did not like me. It refused to sing. It being a 6 hour drive one way I thought I might use the time to get acquainted with a few other mandolins. After trying 5 other used instruments I picked up a new Weber Yellowstone. What a surprise. I begged me to take it home and promised to make me happy . It has not disappointed me yet. and it cost considerably less.
  17. Sheryl McDonald
    Sheryl McDonald
    My first mandolin was a Kay that our neighbors gave to us when they moved. I think I was in the 6th grade at the time. I kept that mandolin until I got to college, then acquired an F style Alvarez and gave the Kay to a friend who wanted to learn. I now own 3 mandolins: a 2001 Weber Absaroka, a 2008 Jade A style, and a 1939 Levin Oval Hole (which is my avatar).
    I'm currently playing the Levin more than the other two {celtic}.
    I found the Weber on an Ebay sale -- the seller lived only 20 miles from my house, and I convinced him to let me try the mandolin for a weekend. That was a big mistake, as it never made it back home to him. Although I play a lot of mandolin,
    my main instrument is fiddle.
  18. Wesley
    Wesley
    I qualify for membership. However I just traded my Bridger - a 1999 - for a National RM-1 that I love. I just wasn't using the Bridger that much anymore. However I still have my Fern which is my primary stage instrument. The rest of my collection is as follows:

Weber Fern
    Brentrup 21V
    National RM-1
    Smart mandola
    Davy Stuart Octave mandolin
    1967 Martin D-18
    Collings OM2G
    Collings 000-3
  19. Leigh Coates
    Leigh Coates
    Hi:

I got my Weber Bitterroot A Oval 6 months ago, and I love it. Before this I played an older Aria I bought second hand from a music store that was closing down. It turned out to be a not bad instrument! I guess I fooled around on that one for about 5 years. I still have it and often play it when traveling or other such situations.

My Bitterroot is beautiful: buckskin matte finish with tortoiseshell binding. I'm playing in a band with a fiddler, flute player and a guy who plays accordion, banjo and guitar. The Weber is loud and sweet, and fits in well.

Now I need (yes, I believe it is a NEED) an octave mandolin. That is definitely the next thing to happen to me!!

Leigh
  20. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Welcome, Leigh! I have a Petersen OM, a Petersen Cittern and a Petersen mandola. I do love them all!

Barb
  21. MandoManic
    MandoManic
    The wife and I had never attended a bluegrass festival. The first festival we went to, I caught a bad case of the mando "bug." I bought a Michael Kelly Dragonfly, had a few lessons, loaded up some stuff and drove from Iowa to Camp Bluegrass in Levelland, Texas. A fellow camper was kind enough to give me a test drive on his Weber F5 Fern. I thought man...some day! I was able to hang with the Dragonfly for a while but I eventually traded it for a Lebeda F5 Premium Plus. The Lebeda served me well, but again acquisition syndrome got the best of me and I added a Weber Yellowstone to the stable. Finally, I decided to give up the Lebeda and the Yellowstone and moved up to my Weber F5 Fern. I haven't looked back. It's an incredibly fine instrument all the way around. I have been at it four years now and wear my callouses (all four fingers) like badges of honor.
  22. Tony Polecastro
    Tony Polecastro
    so here I am reading all of your introducitons thinking, well now would be a good time to introduce myself...
    I am Tony Polecastro and spend my days as the sales guy for Weber mandolins and teach and play dobro by night. I own a Weber Bandit Squareneck Resophonic guitar and have the luxury of playing some of the coolest mandolins on a daily basis.
    If you all ever need a hand or have a quesitons feel free to call me at the shop.
    It is great to read everyone's comments and stories on how they became a Weber player.
    Cheers!!!
  23. Chris Wofford
    Chris Wofford
    I have been playing about a year. I started with an Austin F model. I decided that I would buy cheap to begin with and if I stuck with it I would upgrade. I finally got ready to upgrade and were looking at various import models that fit my budget. I really wanted an American brand. I stumbled across an Aspen II that was a better price than several of the imports I was looking at. It sounded better than anything at that price point. While I still have scroll envy, I love it. I will cure it one day with another Weber I am sure.
  24. David Westwick
    David Westwick
    Hi all:
    I have a Weber Abasaroka Mandola, with a D-soundhole and a radiused fingerboard. I don't play it nearly as much as it deserves, though.
  25. Ken Olmstead
    Ken Olmstead
    I am still hacking away on my 2003 Weber Fern! I have owned several Webers and they have all been really great. I am supposed to sell the Fern upon the completion of my new Brentrup, if it actually happens it will be a sad day! I am scheming on how to keep it since it is as good as anything else I have played! I miss my Bitteroot Mandola that I sold due to a hand injury, well that is fine now and I wish I had it back! Webers become a part of you and grow with you as a musician. Great instruments by a terrific guy! Thanks Bruce!!
  26. Wesley
    Wesley
    Ken - I own a Fern too. They are great instruments but wait until you get your hands on the Brentrup. It will be easier to say goodby. Even Brad Pitt had to say goodby to Jennifer when he traded up for Angelina.

What's your "Angelina" going to look like? Are you getting an A or an F?
  27. Ken Olmstead
    Ken Olmstead
    Thanks Wes! My "Angelina" will be a Stealth. Here is the lastest picture:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...7&postcount=80 I am pretty excited but the prospect of letting go of old faithful ("Jen" in this case huh? ) does not excite me. Like I said I amy be able to keep it. After all the Stealth is half paid for! It will all be fine in the end! Life is a road I like to travel!
  28. hank
    hank
    Hey Ken, I enjoyed your video. I went thru the process of trying to let go of my 04 Fern after purchasing another great mandolin but decided to keep her. Now three years later I still play and love them both. It's a hard decision but maybe give yourself some time with both instruments. If your new Stealth(beautiful, I agree) gets all the attention for a year or two it should be easier to let your Fern have a new home.
  29. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    Considering that I am a Weber owner, I don't like them very much in general. To me Webers have no soul, no character like Gibsons (which are all over the place as far as sound goes) or even a signature sound like the Collings.

But I did buy a Bighorn and after a period of buyer's remorse (I had to trade my L-00 tenor guitar in for it) I am falling in love with the instrument.

I think that the problem a lot of Webers have is that they take time to mature. I have played a few older ones that sound great, but most of the new ones I play are good but don't knock your socks off right away.

No question about how good they look, by the way.

When I bought my Bighorn at Spruce Tree Music in Madison, I A/b'd it against every other oval hole mandolin in the shop. I had intended to get an Eastman but every time I checked the most expensive oval hole in the shop against another mandolin (including a few Gibsons) the Bighorn was clearly the best one. My buyer's remorse is gone forever now and about 5 months ago the instrument just blossomed in both sound and volume.
  30. H.P.
    H.P.
    On June 5 mikeyes wrote:
    "I think that the problem a lot of Webers have is that they take time to mature."

I like the idea of an instrument that gets better and better over time.
  31. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    On June 5 mikeyes wrote:
    "I think that the problem a lot of Webers have is that they take time to mature."
    On June 6, H.P. wrote:
    "I like the idea of an instrument that gets better and better over time."

I like to think of myself that way, too!
  32. Gerry Cassidy
    Gerry Cassidy
    Mike Keyes wrote:
    "...To me Webers have no soul, no character like Gibsons (which are all over the place as far as sound goes) or even a signature sound like the Collings."

With all due respect, I couldn't disagree more. To my ear, Webers' exude soul, and character. It's their own character which I would have to assume was something Bruce and crew were/are going after.

I find it refreshing to be able to choose a high quality instrument that doesn't sound like a Gibson.

Gibson being the standard, and Collings having perfected copying Gibson, I think it's great Weber has taken off in a different direction.

I am also finding it true that every quality instrument I've owned has sounded better, and better with time. I understand this may not always be the case, and some sound better than others when new, but it seems to me it's a facet of a good instrument to progress this way.
  33. Bob Andress
    Bob Andress
    Well folks - I'm officially a member of the Weber club. I posted a pic of my brand new Custom Coyote. I am in love. So much so that I'm done typing - It's time to pick!
  34. Gerry Cassidy
    Gerry Cassidy
    Slim,

Oh-My-Gawsh! MORE pics please! Is that tortoise binding? I'd also like to see a close up of the headstock. It looks to have their new way of finishing them with tung oil instead of the glossy stuff.

I sent my Bighorn back to them a couple weeks ago for them to look at what I thought may be a seam separation (6% humidity in Az wreaks havoc!). They are taking care of that, and Bruce offered to refinish my headstock in the new fashion. Talked with Tony yesterday and he says it looks awesome.

Enjoy!

Gerry
  35. Bob Andress
    Bob Andress
    Alright Gerry, more pics are up per your request. No gloss on that headstock - I love that look and I'm sure you will too (now keep it nice and moist!). Yup, tortoise binding, you can see some nice color on the headstock shot. I know she looks great but the sound is blowing me away. It moves me and makes me sound as if I almost know what I'm doing. Weber Fans - we are in a great group and I'm proud to be in it with you all.
  36. Gerry Cassidy
    Gerry Cassidy
    Excellent! Thanks for the great head shot. I hope my Bighorn looks that good.

Have you put it down yet?
  37. Bob Andress
    Bob Andress
    Have I put it down yet? Well, I haven't won the lottory yet so I have to spend 9 hours away from her each day. My wife made me promise that once I git it, I wouldn't forget about her and our two kids. I can tell you, however, that I go to bed much later these days than I did before she showed up. Thanks for the compliments.
  38. Cliffdweller
    Cliffdweller
    I am a brand new member of the Weber group and owners club. About 3 weeks ago I wandered into Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana and wandered out with the Weber 10th anniversary limited edition, Number 1 of 10. I have to say I feel totally unworthy of this piece of art. None the less, I have been playing and enjoying this instrument ever since. It is "waking up" very nicely and I feel so fortunate to have acquired No. 1. If I get some free time from picking, I'll post some photos on the site even though this is the mando shown on Weber's website. Cheers, everyone.
  39. Susan H.
    Susan H.
    I am also new to the Weber Group. I've had my Weber almost a year now and wouldn't trade it for anything...well maybe another Weber. I've been playing for almost 2 years now and love it. I started out on banjo about 8 years ago and graduated to mando. I fill in for someone in a bluegrass band from time to time, and play at my church about once a month. And I play in a mandolin orchestra here in Colorado Springs. Challenging for a "newbie" like me, cause everyone else has years of experience with music under their belt. I feel like I'm always playing catch up. But, it's working...we record next month. The mandolin is one of the most versitle instruments out there next to the guitar and piano IMHO.
  40. tburcham
    tburcham
    Slim,

How's the new Coyote? What do you think of the tone, volume and playability?

Tim
  41. Bob Andress
    Bob Andress
    Sorry y'all. Been a while since I last dropped by. Tim - It's amazing. It's very easy to play, it feels great to me. The volume is perfect, it's sounds great without even having to dig in too much. And the Tone is great. I think I said it before that the bass on this thing blows me away. The Coyote is everything I was looking for. It's a keeper!
  42. saintandsinnerguy
    saintandsinnerguy
    I'm officially in...Greetings. My name is Jeff and I have been a guitar player for the past 30 years. Recently I have wanted to get into mandolin due to my love of bluegrass. I had borrowed an old Kentucky oval hole/flat top mando from a friend and had been slowly learning. When it was time to give the mandolin back to my friend I decided to jump in with both feet. I played a Weber A shape at my local shop, but when I checked back it had sold.....I was so sad, it was so amazing to play. I decided right then and there that it was time to grab a Weber as my first real instrument (and probably my instrument for life). I called The Mandolin Store and after a lot of talking and listening, I decided to buy the Special Edition Weber F shape with the wider nut. All I can say is WOW!!! My thought process was to go big right away, and grow into the instrument. I had played some good Michael Kelly's at the local store and could have been very happy with them.......but after grabbing a Weber to try on a whim, I couldn't get myself to going back to the lower level instruments. I feel crazy to drop 2 grand on an instrument that I am still very much learning, but at this point in my life I can afford it and after a bout with some serious illness and a recent surgery, I realize that life needs to be grabbed my the horns and lived with gusto. I have 2 very nice guitars and after acquiring a taste for quality and sound, I knew I would never be happy unless my mandolin met those same standards. Someone told me that a $500 guitar = $1000 mandolin = $2000 violin. I tend to agree with them. With that rule, the 2 grand Weber mandolin fits right in to my experience in the guitar world.
  43. Chernott
    Chernott
    Hello! I've been pickin' a 1920's era Strad-O-Lyn A type with F holes (spruce/maple), but have a Weber Custom F Maple Gallatin on order.....should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to get it. My SOL is in mint condition (was never played until I got it), loud and has great tone. I've been told that my new Weber might not sound as good, but I just had to give into my scroll envy and from my research a Weber was the way to go. What is it with collecting string instruments??? I have three stand-up basses, and now will have two mandos! Anybody wanna' buy a good bass???
  44. Chernott
    Chernott
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/pi...pictureid=3848
    Got my Weber today from Acoustic Vibes. It sounds wonderful and was set-up and tuned perfectly right out of the case. I would highly recommend dealing with Jeff Looker at Acoustic Vibes. I am soooo excited about pickin' this baby!
  45. Rodney Riley
    Rodney Riley
    Recieved my Weber Gallatin f-style as a combined birthday/Christmas gift from my wife. She loved the sound of it over my Godin A-8 that I've been playing at church for the last 4 years. Now I just have to find a way to mic it and let it sing praises to the Lord too.
  46. Marcus CA
    Marcus CA
    Congratulations, Riley! I think that the Gallatin is a great mandolin that is often overlooked due to the higher Weber models. I have the mandocello version, and I've played the mandola. Both of them truly soar! Be sure to play yours a lot so it opens up, which they do quite nicely. Enjoy!
  47. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Another Gallatin fan here - I think mine is awesome, it's become my main mandolin now. Congratulations Riley and enjoy!
  48. Onesound
    Onesound
    Greetings, all. I'll chime in, too. Been playing mandolin since the early 80's when I picked up a cheapo hanging on a local music store's wall and fell in love. Had a bunch of different ones over the years (a Goya, Kentucky, OldWave, Eastman, among others), including a Flatiron pancake that I could kick myself for ever selling. I'm now waiting on my first Weber, a Bitterroot A. My primary musical tastes on mandolin are Celtic, with a pinch of classical on the side.

Cheers,
    Brian
  49. Picker Jim
    Picker Jim
    Hi all. I don't have a Weber yet, but am planning on buying one soon. I play folk, a little bluegrass and some rock on my Mandolin. I also play the guitar and have 4 at this time.
  50. Little Ed
    Little Ed
    I've played guitar for over 40 years, Campfire Christian, Old Country, Bluegrass. Several years ago I decided to branch out and bought a Michael Kelly. I learned a few cords and then it generally just sat around. Over the years it spent a lot of time in the shop trying to get a sound out of it that I liked. I gave up a while back and started looking. I have (USPS has) a Yellowstone Fern someplace between Arizona and Iowa Waiting patiently I've been playing the pudding out of the Michael Kelly for a couple of months now and it's just now starting to open up Oh well, I'm stuck with the Yellowstone when it gets here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast