Mandolin Tasting

1. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Hey,

Nolan and I are looking for mandolins for our tasting on Saturday at Bluegrass from the forest. Let us know if you want Alan Bibey to play your mandolin as part of the tasting. Word has it he'll have his Loar. We want to get a wide variety of instruments. The tasting will start at 11:15 on Saturday.
  2. tango_grass
    tango_grass
    How'd it go?!
  3. mandopete
    mandopete
    Heya,

The mando tasting was excellent (although I could have used a little mustard).

Not to sound too trite, but all of the mandolins sounded good. A fact I attribute to the comensurate talents on Alan Bibey! I took some photos and recorded some of it and I'll to post them down the line.

I really liked Gail's mandolins, those A models sounded great.

Now, if we only could have gotten rid of Banjo Boy - perhaps if we had a gorilla...hmmm?
  4. mandopete
    mandopete
    Let's see if this works....

Here's Alan Bibey playing Gail Hester's F-5 (#3).
  5. tango_grass
    tango_grass
    Sounds and looks like it was a great time!
  6. Nolan
    Nolan
    Nice pic Pete! Can you send me the video?
  7. mandopete
    mandopete
    If I can figure out how.
  8. banjoboy
    banjoboy
    Mandopete...glad you had a good time at the mando tasting...I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment....I have no knowledge of any primates past, present, or future.
  9. mandopete
    mandopete
    Okay, here's a video of Alan Bibey playing a couple of Gail's mandolins. I don't recall if these were ones that she built or what.

Gail - can you fill in the details?

10. mandopete
    mandopete
    And here's Alan again playing Gail's A-style F-hole mandolin. This one sounded fantastic!

11. Gail Hester
    Gail Hester
    Wow Pete, thanks for posting those.

The first video is of one of my tribute A4 mandolins, wide grain Sitka spruce from Bruce Harvie and red maple. This was featured on the Christmas mandolin thread and belongs to our son. The second mandolin is our 1924 A0 that I rebuilt from destruction a few years ago.

The second video is one of my Loar A5 replicas, red spruce and red maple.
  12. mandopete
    mandopete
    My pleasure Gail! All of your mandolins sounded great and it looks like Alan got a kick out of playing them too.

Here's the F-4

13. tango_grass
    tango_grass
    Dang, Bibey's got some tasty licks!! Very nice mando's too, I'm way overdue to play one!!
  14. Nolan
    Nolan
    Nice videos Pete... Thanks!
    Bibey is amazing.... wow. I like the part when Alan is playing the Hester oval hole and I say, "Gail claims these will chop too.." and he chops and looks a little suprised when they actually chop.

Sorry Gail... I shouldn't have put your mandolins on the spot like that! I knew it chopped though.....
  15. mandopete
    mandopete
    Yeah, but I missed the part where the tree fell down.