Week #94 ~ Aura Lee (Old Time)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Marcelyn.... that was awesome! I love kids.... so keep those kid videos coming! Your daughter needs a belt!!! :-)
  2. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Barbara Who? Could you please identify yourself before making comments in this group.

Yes, awesome, Marcy. And great contributions by everyone else, too.
  3. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Manfred and Barbara. I plan to keep the kid videos coming. First, home movies are the only non-copyrite footage I have in abundance, and second, I hope the video might possibly distract attention from some of the less than perfect audio.
  4. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred, yes, it probably seems like I'm more of a lurker, than the great leader (hahaha!)....
  5. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Just to prove I'm still alive.... here is a very quick video of me playing the chords on my tenor guitar. I have been so busy these last couple of months, that my playing time has been seriously compromised.... my callouses are almost gone.... I NEED to start playing something every day, as we've got St. Pat's day gigs coming up...

This is recorded on my laptop webcam, with no video editing. Not so great, but wanted to contribute SOMETHING!

6. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok... here is the melody played along to the youtube video I just made of the chords, played on my Petersen mandolin.

7. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Very nice Barbara.
    Your arrangement has a very nice, warm, more modern feel to it.
    Excellent.
  8. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a beautiful arrangement, Barbara. If it's true that great art is born of great pain, I think your returning callouses added that extra twinge of soulful expression.
  9. Dean Fields
    Dean Fields
    Marcelyn, your playing was terrific. Not only are you blessed with a family band but wonderful kids. Well done put all together for us.
  10. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Sounds great Barbara! I'm almost ready for my first post...
  11. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira

OK, I think I got it this time. Had to do a trial run with Devil's Dream as a new discussion. So officially, this is my second post but first one for the official song of the week. Tom S -thanks for the the encouragement! I have a new found respect for all of you video pros out there in Mandoland. Can't believe how stiff and jerky I came across! (Something else to work on...) Chris F.
  12. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby
    Your playing sounded great though, Chris! Many people don't have their "Game Face" perfected for their videos here. I think I look downright angry in my video for last week. Part of that is the frustration of retakes. I've gotten to the point where I've fantasized about simply setting up a good camera and recording every minute of my practice sessions so that I have "the magic" on camera when it happens, rather than trying to create it on demand....and I've only made two videos

Of course, being able to create it on demand is a necessary skill if you plan on playing in front of anyone, ever
  13. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Thanks! And I completely agree about just leaving the camera on. That might be a lot easier - just get Garageband to keep looping in the background.

Chris
  14. Toycona
    Toycona
    That sounds really good, Chris. I like the 2nd/3rd position verse. And the production values (roll credits...)
  15. Bernd Bannach
    Bernd Bannach
    Marcelyn, that was outstanding. A family band, what a luck you have.
    Barbara that is a lovely arrangement, perfect for this melody.
    Chris, another different playing and all up the neck great.
  16. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    So many great vids this week and I guess if you can't beat 'em, join 'em......

17. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Nice job. I like the extra pair of strings!
  18. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Excellent job Chris & Tosh!
    Really enjoyable videos - And both of your instruments sound and look awesome!
  19. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here is a late entry:

20. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Manfred, that really swings, great work. Tosh I especially like your hammer-ons. Nice work everyone!
  21. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Manfred; great job! Those upstrokes really do give you a nice swing vibe! Excellent!
  22. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    I had big chord melody plans for this one, but they didn't pan out.

Instead, I'd like to dedicate this one to the teachers and public employees of Wisconsin.

On a 1920's Regal tenor guitar.
  23. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Great job 10or5ths! a very sweet and gentle rendition...Perfect for this tune.
    Nice job.
  24. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    After my tenor guitar version from last week, here is my promised mandolin rendition. Played on my Ajr, which is a good mandolin for old-time. Twice through, first with doublestops, then tremoloed.

Martin
  25. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    So many different ways to play a tune. I particularly liked Manfred's swinging version and Marcelyn's jazzed up one. Here it is in the crosspicking style; key of C on a Savannah.
  26. Bernie Daniel
    Bernie Daniel
    I really enjoyed listening to all the great versions of Aura Lee -- you are all so talented and presented the song is so many different ways! Fun. So it was a challenge to come up with something different -- I thought about the mandola but then it hit me I could call up my buddies over at TablEdit and get them to come by for a jam. Luckly they were not working today (actually not too lucky because they never work anyway). They are all non-union so the did it for free.

So I am playing along with a little band, the TablEdit Quintet that I created using TablEdit software -- using published notation I "wrote" a guitar, fiddle, bass and percussion part and then I (the band's weak link) play along with my mates on the mandolin. Its not great sound balance but then I am a retired biochemist not a sound engineer. The mando is my 1920 F-2 with D'Aquisto lights (M21's).

How do you like that "face" at the end?

27. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    As Arte Johnson would say...... "Very interesting" (but not Schtoopid!)
  28. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    since I didn't see anybody else do it, I decided to tackle that chord progression on the sheet music Ed posted on the 11th. Once it's loaded into youtube, I'll post it up. Whoever came up with that must have been a sadist, though. Hahaha. I spent so much time doing the G-B7-Em-G7 over and over and over again, it almost drove me crazy.
  29. Michael Thompson
    Michael Thompson
    here we go. Aura Lee play on a The Loar LM 700 WITH--wait for it--a small vocal part. Haha. The chord progression was pissing me off so much, though, that you only get the first verse. Plus, I don't know the lyrics to Aura Lee and didn't want to have to read them all.

...anyway...here ya go!

(P.S. is it sad that I go look in the mirror and make sure my hair looks okay before I post these videos? :-P)
  30. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Hah! Love the part where you sing; the song really comes alive in that part! Lovely!
  31. billkilpatrick
    flub-less ... that's what i wanna' be!

32. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Very nice job Bill, great singing, great breaks.

So I can't work out why the 2 people standing behind you aren't tapping their feet?
  33. crisscross
    crisscross
    More than four years without Aura Lee?
    I found an arrangement for tenor banjo in Mel Bay's TB method that I jazzed up a bit and added a ukulele to.
  34. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Nice, I like it, especially the syncopated melody.
  35. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice CC. This was probably my very first favorite song.
    Gary
  36. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I hope you don't mind that I post one of your Videos, Frank, but it really inspired me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqEcAb68CKo

I recorded the same melody using my "Cremonese" mandolin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMo11kn6ymU
  37. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Thanks for your nice versions, Frank and Christian.
  38. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    Nice version Christain! I always check the " list" but forgot about " Aura Lee", Thanks!
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Two quite different versions, especially in tempo, gents. Nice to see the tune revived after six years, with your plinky banjo style delivery being the last one back in July 2015, Christian.
  40. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    Thanks Frithjof, Frank and John!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12