Strad-O-Lin's For Sale on eBay or the Classifieds

1. MikeEdgerton
    MikeEdgerton
    This Strad-O-Lin Artist Deluxe is for sale on eBay. NFI.
  2. dallash43
    dallash43
    Sorry Mike, what's NFI, no idea?
  3. MikeEdgerton
    MikeEdgerton
    NFI = No Financial Interest as in I'm not the guy selling it and it isn't my brother-in-law selling it either
  4. MikeEdgerton
    MikeEdgerton
    Here's an Orpheum branded mandolin built by the same folks that built the Strad-O-Lins. This seller has several mandolins for sale, most are described as Strad-O-Lins, some are, some are not. This is the real deal, I owned one just like it. It now belongs to the banjo player in my band. NFI.

By the way, the Stadium mandolin he has listed as a Strad-O-Lin is a Harmony.
  5. David Newton
    David Newton
    The Orpheum didn't sell at $100. The economy must really be in the tank.
  6. dallash43
    dallash43
    Has anyone had a look at any of these ebay stradolins?

?
  7. MikeEdgerton
    MikeEdgerton
    If number three is playable it has the original pickguard and tailpiece cover. That's pretty cool and is the same as the one on my branded Strad-O-Lin. I've never seen one that was that dark on the back but it does look original. I've had several Opheum branded Strads. Number 2 most likely has a laminated top.

The Orpheum I mentioned above didn't sell at 100.00 but it had a reserve. In looking at it just now (again) I noticed some black around the fretboard on the top. I wonder if that has been repaired? I've never seen that.
  8. Carolie
    Carolie
    I just bought a new mando or I'd be all over one of those ebay stradolins. Auction 1 worries me because one of the bidders only has 1 feedback. I wonder if this person is just trying to drive up the price. The crack on this one concerns me: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3D4%26ps%3D10
  9. Michael Gowell
    Michael Gowell
    That #3 above is very cool, but $245 BIN + $32 shipping? Patient shopping should save you maybe $100. And I'm curious about all the stress marks in the finish on the back of the neck at the heel. Unusual. Compromised?
  10. David Newton
    David Newton
    http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-STRAD-O-...3%3A1|294%3A50

Nothing special here, except it is the first SOL guitar I've seen
  11. Bruce Clausen
    Bruce Clausen
    It's a sixties import? Slotted head and screwed-down classical bridge, but built for steel strings (note metal rollers)-- that was a common type. Mighty suspicious that it's being offered without strings.

In the Classifieds right now is the mandolin WillyG has put in our gallery. Anyone care to speculate when this type was being built? The bridge and pickguard are just like what was being used in the late thirties. But different logo, shorter neck, "dot" soundholes, etc.
  12. David Newton
    David Newton
    Same as the one I had. Probably the last domestic built SOL, had to be 1960's.
    Great tone, those, too bad about the tailpiece.
  13. MikeEdgerton
    MikeEdgerton
    The guitar was an import and had nothing to do with the American built Strad-O-lins.