I like to hear your stories about Northfield Workshop mandolins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. sonnyjammer
    sonnyjammer
    Well I started this group and I don't even have mine yet. I have not played one so I hope this one stacks up as well as others I've been reading about and seen on youtube. I'd like to hear about your impressions of these recently popular mandolins. Please share.

Tanks, Sonny

2. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    SonnyJammer, I'm in the same boat. Mine is due to be delivered in June. Till then all I can do is hope and pray for a Hoss mando! These mandos sound almost too good to be true so I am trying to temper my anticipation. I sure would love to see some photos from harryclark who just received his Northfield... hint.
  3. nickster
    nickster
    I'm hoping to have mine in the next few weeks. I will post photos and a sound file when I get it. Adrian has been patient with me bugging him every now and then. I just hope I get a good one.
  4. sonnyjammer
    sonnyjammer
    I've been tracking the used #43 from Elderly. It arrived in Fort Worth today and is due delivery tomorrow. I have it sent to my work site, so Fedex won't leave it on the porch. I have a really nice Kentucky KM1000 now that will be hard to beat. I bought it in 2009 and sent it to Roger Siminoff for the "Break-in Treatment" which resulted in a more woofy, resonant sound. I don't really know if there was a significant increase in volume or not, but it has always drawn alot of complements. The tone on that one is just very pleasant, You just can't beat Red Spruce that has been carved right and played in. I will let yalll know how the Northfield stacks up against it's less expensive Chinese cousin.
  5. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    SonnyJammer, I will be very interested to see how the comparison goes. I too have an old Stelling that is maybe a 7 on a 1-10 scale. Its only drawback is it tends to be very bright at times. I'll be doing some hard comparisons when mine arrives too. BTW. How do you contact Adrian? I sent him a private message on Mandocafe several days ago and haven't heard anything. I don't think thats the best way to contact him but I don' have any other options.
  6. nickster
    nickster
    Mandosummers, you can contact Adrian at info@northfieldinstruments.com . Is the Stelling you have an earlier one made by Elliott? I have only played one Stelling and it was a little bright also.
  7. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    Nickster, I contacted Stelling a few years back and they said it was made in 1981 by Kim Breedlove when he worked for Stelling. Sometimes it sounds good to me and other times it is just harsh and metallic. I'd really love to have a loud woody mando with a rich balanced tone. Thats what I'm hoping for in the Northtfield.
  8. nickster
    nickster
    If the tone is close to what I hear on all the video and soundfiles I will be satisfied. I sold my Weber Fern (cedar top) about 5 months ago. I've been wanting to get something with a more Gibsonish tone and read about the Northfields on this site.
  9. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    SonnyJammer, Did the mando arrive yesterday? If so how is it working out?
  10. sonnyjammer
    sonnyjammer
    Yes, the big truck came to the shop and I ran over couple of guys that were standing between me and the door. I was hollerin across the room that's for me, get outta my way. MAS madness at its finest. I am very happy with the mandolin, the case interior has a strap across the middle of the neck to hold it down and I brushed against the strings while it was still in the case, and I knew immediately this was gonna be good. It vibrates all over when you play it, the bass response is just amazing, it woofs like old well broke in mandolin. the trebles are clear and ring all the way up the neck. I really like the open two and three finger chords. I have been workinig out of a Jethro Burns Lesson Book and he didn't care a whole lot for the 4 finger Bluegrass chop chords. Cross picking just really gets everything ringing. This could very well be one of the loudest mandolins I have heard and played. to and I have heard most brands of high end mandos. Never really owned a Dude, Nugget, or Gilchrist but this Norhfield can compete just fine with a most of those. Bottom line, IMHO, these are great, so buy one if your lust for the high end sound, looks, but can't justify paying $25,000
    Sonny
  11. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    I'm truly happy for you! Play the hound out of that thing!
  12. nickster
    nickster
    Glad you like it Sonny. Sounds like your fingers are going to be sore this weekend.
  13. ll144
    ll144
    I'm on the list for sometime around June,I'm glad you like yours.
  14. nickster
    nickster
    Melonie at Elderly called me this morning and said my modern F5 will be shipped out today. When I get it I will post some photos and let you know what I think about it.
  15. fmccamant
    fmccamant
    New owner of a lefty A5. Beautiful craftsmanship and wonderful tone and volume. I am new to the mandolin after playing guitar for 30+ years - have a Martin and Fender strat. But, I played the trumpet in high school so reading music has helped me begin to learn the fundamentals of the mando. I think it is going to be a lot of fun!
  16. nickster
    nickster
    fmc congrats on the new A5. If it sounds close to the one in the video recently posted on the Northfield blog page you have a winner.
  17. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    Nick,
    Its getting close!!! Are you tracking it?
  18. nickster
    nickster
    It's suppose to show up tomorrow. I'm going to be sitting on the porch all day waiting on it.
  19. nickster
    nickster
    The Northfield #83 was delivered this morning. After letting it acclimate to room temperature I opened the box and took the case out. Then took the mando out and tuned it up to pitch. The tone really started coming in after a few hours under tension. Needless to say I'm a happy camper. I do have a good one. I think they all are. You can see some photos here: http://webpages.charter.net/nickystephens/Northfield/ The photos were taken in sunlight but indoors with normal lighting the burst on the front & back is much darker.
  20. ll144
    ll144
    Really nice looking,I have the same ordered I hope my comes with the ebony tuners.It will be interesting to hear how it sounds in a few days of playing.
  21. nickster
    nickster
    Thanks, the mandolin sounds great. I can't hardly put it down. As can be expected it is taking a while for the mando to settle under tension after taking 5 days for shipping. My left hand is adjusting to the 1 3/32" nut versus the 1 3/16" mando I played in the past. Also I'm not use to a pickguard but am adjusting to that. As for the tuners I thought they were going to be pearloid but am happy with the ebony.
  22. nickster
    nickster
    It has been one week since the last post. The mandolin has settled in and still sounding great. It's amazing you can get such a great sound and a very nice build for just 2500.00. For one of you guys who are on the waiting list, there is a used Northfield F5 in the classifieds for 2300.00.
  23. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    I too have a Northfield on order. Should be here by the end of May. Can hardly wait. Adrian is a great guy to work with as I ordered the "Big Mon". I have a buddy who has a Stelling and I hope mine is a "Stelling" killer. He is also a Sam Bush string fan. Will post some pictures when I get it. Getting more anxious by the day. dhuttonsr
  24. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    I too am waiting for #99. Adrian is sure a great guy to work with. I hope mine is a "Stelling" killer as I have a friend who thinks his Stelling is so great. He also uses Sam Bush monel strings on it. Getting anxious waiting till the end of May for my "Big Mon".
    Will post some pictures when I get it. Didn't want two post but I guess I messed up again.
    dhuttonsr
  25. nickster
    nickster
    dhuttonsr I know the feeling. I was there a month ago. Still playing mine every chance I get. Look forward to seeing your photos.

Nick
  26. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    dhuttonsr, We must have ordered about the same time. I ordered the standard modern model Northfield in early Feb. Its supposed to be finished at the end of May also. Cant wait. I've played a bunch of mandolins over the years but I've never played a Northfield. The rave reviews and feedback and sound clips made me decide to go for it.

On a side note... I just got back from spending a whole day at Gruhn's in Nashville. They have a whole wall of mandolins.. Gibson, Summit, Ellis, Duff, Collings,... I played every one of them. It was 4.5 hours of heaven! As is always the case, I was impressed with the fact that price is not always linked to tone quality (ie. loudness, rich woodiness, balance... all those things we mandolin players dream about). Oddly enough, the best sounding mandolin I played was a moderately priced Chech Republic "Prucha". I had never heard of them. It was a real "banjo buster" with good balance, nice clear highs and big fat killer G and D!! It had a solid chocolate finish that I wasn't crazy about though. I LOVE the look of the Northfields and, given Northfield's reputation for consistency, I've got a gut feeling our Northfields will sound even better than that Prucha!
  27. kjewell21
    kjewell21
    Hi folks,
    Boy I thought I was the only one getting crazy but I also ordered a Mando and Adrian told me it was #98 and should be gallopping to my doorstep late May. So "dhuttonsr" you and I, and I guess, the bunch of you ordered around the same time. Did anybody get any "extras" on it? I upgraded my "Big Mon" with better wood, the violin neck, the tailpiece etc. BTW what's the case look like?
  28. nickster
    nickster
    kjewell21,

Please post some photos of that Big Mon with extras when you get it. I would love to see them. I wished I would have went with the James tailpiece on mine. The case is just sufficient, nothing special. I've been thinking of upgrading to a better case with mine. It just depends on personal preference.

Nick
  29. nickster
    nickster
    I did a short video that will give some indication of tone with #83. I've had it for month now. The mic on my camcorder has a very thin sound. The mandolin has a slightly darker sound than what you hear. I'm not a good mandolin player yet but enjoy trying. Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYTOAO6QZQ
  30. ll144
    ll144
    I thought the tone sounded nice,Nick. Didn't get to hear much on the bass strings,wondering how it will sound playing jazz ans swing chords.
    Just finished paying mine off.Hope to get it June or the end of May.thanks for the clip,Larry.
  31. nickster
    nickster
    Thanks Larry. I posted one more playing something slower. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBx4J8wyvL4
  32. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    Check out Bobelock fiberglass mandolin cases with hydrometer included.
  33. Mandosummers
    Mandosummers
    Nickster, nice job on one of my favorite tunes! The mando sounds great. There's one spot where I heard a nice fat, woody, open D note... that was all I had to hear to know its a good one. Congratulations!
  34. nickster
    nickster
    Thanks Mandosummers.

dhuttonsr, I did some research on the Bobelock fiberglass mandolin case and the only issue I could find was that it has very little protection for the endpin. But for 200.00 that is a very nice looking case. I'm thinking about it.
  35. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    That's the best I could find..
  36. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    It also comes with a padded cover ,too.
  37. kjewell21
    kjewell21
    OK Folks, I'm going to try to do this. Adrian sent me a couple of photos on my #98 Big Mon. I'm sooo Blown away....!
    Just go to my web site: http://www.jewellsnwood.com/albums.php?id=12
    Enjoy! BTW Nickster nice playin' and sound on yours!
  38. nickster
    nickster
    Thanks kjewell21. That is some serious flame in #98. I bet that is going to be a tone monster. I know you can't wait to have it in hand.

Nick
  39. KennyK5008
    KennyK5008
    i have had my Northfield for about 8 months, love the sound and I play it for a couple of hours every day. It holds the tuning very well and has no dead spots as I go up the scales. On the down side - the finish on my mandolin had not completely hardened when it was shipped so I have a hand size blemish on the back of the instrument but no other problems with it.

Ken
  40. kjewell21
    kjewell21
    Yeah the neck looks like it's on fire!! Hopefully that'll kindle my fingers! ;-)
  41. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    Oh Yea!!!
    Must let everyone know about Blue Chip Picks. The will make any mandolin (especially Northfields) sound a whole lot better and you never hear pick slap.. Go to Blue Chip.com I like the TAD 50 and the tear drop 50.
  42. nickster
    nickster
    I did upload some more short video clips but removed the links after realizing I had some timing issues.
  43. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    I added some pictures of my #99 but don't how to get them from under Northfield Mandolin page. Sorry about the info on cases & picks but I do feel it does relate. Until you have tried the Blue Chip picks you won't understand. However $35 each is still a lot of money but they are worth it for the sound they produce. I have lost several and almost cry when I do but I still reorder 2 more.
  44. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    Hey Nickster
    Show your face when you are playing. That makes it more interesting to watch as peoples expressions also add to the playing.
  45. nickster
    nickster
    dhuttonsr, I've tried blue chip picks for my acoustic guitar, banjo and mandolin. To my ear they are too bright sounding for my taste. They are brighter than real tortoise. I know that some people can get a good tone from them but I can't. As for showing my face, I was trying to zoom in on the mandolin because of the limited resolution with the video.

Nick
  46. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    Did you see the pictures I posted of #99 in progress?
  47. nickster
    nickster
    I didn't realize you started a new group. Yes I just looked at them and that mando has some serious flame. I bet it will sound great too. When you get it post some finished photos and give us your review.

Nick
  48. ll144
    ll144
    Going to see Mt.Heart tomorrow.I hope to get to see and hear Aaron Ramsey playing a Northfield.
  49. dhuttonsr
    dhuttonsr
    My # 99 will be shipped to me next week. Should have it by Friday.. Will post some pictures as Adrian is supposed to shoot some for me this weekend. What's the matter ? No one saying much..
  50. ll144
    ll144
    I talked to Aaron Ramsey after the first MT. HEART set at Gettysburg (which was awesome).He said he was really happy with his Northfield and he said it came set up nice. It was nice to hear him playing it on stage. Can't wait till I get mine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast