Fret board problems.

1. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    I bought my RM-1 new in 2009. From the very first day I played the mandolin the D string has had a buzz. I have tried a variety of strings, but the buzzing continues. The problem is probably the bridge. I thought from the moment I received the mandolin that an instrument costing $2,000 should not have that problem, but I learned to live with it. But more importantly the instrument has developed additional problems. Let me explain.

The E string when fretted at F# (second fret) makes virtually no sound. The E string when fretted at G (third fret) is barely audible. When fretted at F natural or G# the sound is satisfactory. The A string when fretted a B natural (second fret) is barely audible. These problems, in addition to the buzzing D string have made the instrument useless for performance, or for that matter even simple practice.

I attempted to adjust the neck torsion rod but it would not budge with a reasonable amount of effort. I have been playing guitars and mandolins for over thirty years so I know a thing or two about adjusting necks, nuts and bridges. That notwithstanding, the problems with my RM-1 apparently goes beyond my abilities. The totality of these problems has me very unhappy with the instrument.

I sent a message very similar to this to National Resophonic asking for repair help. I will keep the group posted.
  2. dcoventry
    dcoventry
    Well, what was the outcome for these problems?
  3. liestman
    liestman
    Please take no offense at this, I am no expert and am not questioning your truss rod knowledge - just trying to be helpful here: I know that with some National guitars (not sure about their mandolins, of which I own a great example) the truss rod adjusts in reverse to how you would expect. Is it possible that when you thought you were fixing the buzzing D, you ended up flexing the neck backward with the truss rod, causing the 3rd and 4th frets to come up, giving you the problems with 2nd and 3rd fret notes? Before sending it off, I would try turning the truss rod in the other direction.

I hope it works out well for you, however it turns out. I am a huge fan of these mandolins. I did have to do a significant bridge lowering and a bit of nut slot lowering to get the easy action that I wanted, but I tend to assume this from any instrument made by multiple hands and not for a specific customer.
  4. Yukon_Don
    Yukon_Don
    National was very helpful suggesting that I return it to the factory. In the meantime I considered the truss rod adjustment again. Yes indeed, the adjustment was reverse of what I am used to. The adjusting nut backed off and the neck complied beautifully. The action is once again great and without buzzing. Live and learn!