Anybody with neck issues?

1. dcoventry
    dcoventry
    I have no problems at the moment, but this is a good forum to keep track of any issues should they arise.

Since Rigel's have a Carbon Fiber reinforcement rod and don't have an adjustable truss rod, neck issues could possibly be more complicated. OTOH, with the bolt on recks, a neck reset is not nearly the ordeal that it is in the case of dovetail joints or even mortise and tenon.

In the annals of Rigel threads here on the MC, there has been the occasional neck angle issue, and so this is an attempt to track any and all issues that come up.

Play on!
  2. John Flynn
    John Flynn
    No issues with mine and I've played it hard for over 8 years. I have talked to a luthier about it and his opinion is that with the bolt-on neck system used by Rigel, a neck angle issue would be pretty easy to fix. Unbolt the neck and shim it to the right angle. That's about it. Not much to worry about.
  3. dcoventry
    dcoventry
    John,

My thoughts, too. However, the neck is built with a certain amount of relief, or bowing, to make it easily playable. With the CF rod for stiffeneing, is it common for the neck to aquire even more relief while under tension?

That's my question in a nutshell. I hope that sounds not to ignorant.

Dave
  4. John Flynn
    John Flynn
    It would be better for a luthier to answer, but here's what I think I know about it: 1) CF rods are pretty stiff, they don't move much with string tension. I know my Rigel can take different gauges of strings and not change neck relief as far as I can tell. 2) Truss rods rarely need to be adjusted in most mandolins, at least not like with guitars. I have a mandoliin with a non-adjustable metal truss rod and it's never been a problem, even though I've had all differen gauges of strings on it. 3) I'm sure string tension creates some additional neck relief, or bowing, but as long as Rigel took string tension into account when setting the relief when the neck was made, everything should come out fine. I hope that helps. If not, I would post your question on the Builder's Forum, or even send an email to Pete Langdell at Rigel.

The bottom line is that if your instrument plays well, that's what counts.
  5. dcoventry
    dcoventry
    John,

Thanks for your insight. I'm headed up to Santa Cruz next weel to have Paul H. check out my mando. I know the action and overall set up are a little wonky, and I'll have the neck checked, too.