sharazula marazula

1. billkilpatrick
    middle aged man playing middle age music on a mid-missouri M-0 of indeterminate age - 16th cent. - italian - giorgio mainero (ca. 1535-1582):

2. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Sounding great! I'll have to dig out those horn plectra you sent me a while ago to try them on my M-0. Did you use an open tuning, or is it standard tuning? You seem to strum all four strings throughout but I don't see you fingering full chords.

Martin
  3. billkilpatrick
    grazie martino! - tuning is GDAD with two-finger chords (mostly.) do you know this tune? ... have i spelled it correctly?
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Almost the right spelling: it's "Schiarazula Marazula", and it's the first piece in Allan Alexander's "Renaissance Music For Mandolin". Fun tune -- haven't played it for ages but I'll dig it out again.

Martin
  5. billkilpatrick
    first heard this off a josef ulsamer collegium cd - they spelled "schiarazula" correctly ... why couldn't i?
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've finally got around to recording "Schiarazula Marazula" by Giorgio Mainerio, previously done in great chord melody style by Bill. Mine is rather more conventional. It's one of the best-known Italian renaissance dances, originally published in "Il primo libro di balli" in 1578.

Based on a four-part arrangement by Stephen Hendricks (I'm not playing his bass part):

Link to PDF sheet music

Recorded on (in this order):

Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandola (GDAE)
    1915 Luigi Embergher bowlback mandolin
    "Baroq-ulele" bowlback soprano ukulele/lute (tuned in fifths, GDAE)

Each instrument plays the melody once through and then takes a harmony part while the next instrument takes over the lead.

Martin