Week #108 ~ Lonesome Moonlight Waltz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is Lonesome Moonlight Waltz. Another tune I'm not familiar with! This was submitted as bluegrass. It seems to be a Bill Monroe tune.

Here are some videos:

Here is a link to some notation submitted in 2005 here on mandolincafe.

Here is a link to a page with a couple of tef files (note: when I downloaded one, and opened it in Tab|Edit, I had to go into settings and change the spaces between the lines, as it was all scrunched up)

Here is a link to another transcription

I'm pretty rusty on recognizing great famous musicians.... that video with all the mandolins... who all is in there? I recognize Mike Compton and Roland White....
  2. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Yo Barbara..in the first video in order of appearance: 1) Mike Compton; 2) Skip Gorman; 3) Richie Brown; 4) Roland White; 5) Butch Waller; 6) Jody Stecher; 7) Tim O'Brien. Gawd I love that video and have been looking for it since the first time I've seen it but couldn't seem to find it. Glad you did!!!

Here's a link to the past thread first started by jamann in June of '09.

Can't wait to see some new versions!
  3. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    No new version, I'm afraid, just reposting the one I did on my Ajr back in December from the old thread for this tune, so that it's all in one thread. It's a great tune, and fun to play!

X: 1
    T:Lonesome Moonlight Waltz
    O:Bluegrass
    B:from mandolin tablature by John Baldry
    N:http://www.btinternet.com/~john.bald...lt/moonlt.html
    Z:ABC by Moshe Braner
    R:waltz
    Q:1/4=110
    M:3/4
    L:1/8
    K:F
    A2 |\
    "Dm"{c}d2-df (3dcA | {c}d2-df dc | "F"A2-Ac (3AGF | "Dm"[A,4F]-[A,F]A |
    "Dm"{c}d2-df (3dcA | {c}d2-df dA | "G"[G2B]-G^F "E7"G^G | "A"[A6^c] |
    "C"{B}c2-cc (3G^GA | {B}c2-c{^c}d GA/G/ | "F"F6-|F2 "F7"[A,F][A,F] [A,F][CF] ||
    "Bb"D4 (3DFG | F4 G2 | "F"A2-AF Ad | c4 A2 |
    "G"[G2B]-GG Bd | B[GB]-[G4B] | "C"[c2e]-[ce]c (3cec | "A7"[^c6e] |
    "C"{B}c2-cc (3G^GA | {B}c2-c{^c}d GA/G/ | "F"F2-FF (3{G}Acd | [A6f] ||

Martin
  4. cjprince
    cjprince
    Ok....it is going to take me a lot longer than a week to learn that one.
  5. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Such a great tune. I'm going to try to work this up this week. Stock up on your health insurance for the incoming ear damage.
  6. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    I must say that I think this is a great tune and I have much respect and admiration for those who can play this well.

7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    David, that was wonderful! You make it look easy, and I know it's not!!!!
  8. pickloser
    pickloser
    I loved it, David!
  9. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks, Martin and David, for your contributions! This has quickly become one of my favorite tunes, and I hope to be able to play it like David H some day.
  10. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    That was my first video here, and several miracles had to occur for my tech-awkward self to even do this much. But why is mine larger than everyone else's? Is there a way I can fix it?
  11. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    David, that sounds great! Nice!

Kay, you're video is listed as private at the moment.
  12. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Love this tune. Nice work everyone. Yes, David makes it look easy. It seems like it would be an easy tune to play, but it isn't. Love your tremolo and double stops, Kay. I've got part A down, still working on the B part. It's gonna take a while, but you all have inspired me to keep at it.
  13. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    That was great Kay, way better than me. It sounds like a bluegrass tune when you play it. If you want to resize your video you need to use the "Reply" button and not the "Quick Reply" button to post. For some reason it goes haywire when you use the Quick Reply.

Here's your video in standard reply mode.

14. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Martin, David, Kay - Very easy in the ears. Dynamite first video, Kay. I loved the tremolos and your relaxed presentation. Thank you all for sharing.
  15. pickloser
    pickloser
    Very nice, Kay! (And congratulations on jumping that technology hurdle.)
  16. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    WOW, KAY! That was KILLER. Way to join the group with a BANG! Great sounding MT (I presume?).
  17. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Thanks for the compliments everyone! David, thanks for the tip and for reposting it for me correctly. Rob, thanks for letting me know about the privacy issue. It was actually more difficult to figure that out than to post the thing. Yes, it's my wonderful MT, thanks.
  18. Ten_or_Fifths
    Ten_or_Fifths
    Great job Kay! Welcome to the group. I'm looking forward to this song and everyone's sounding great.
  19. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    The previous video I reposted above from last December was deliberately rather slower and more mellow than this tune is normally played. I've revisted the tune today, speeded it up to something more like normal speed, with crisper and more aggressive triplets, and played on something more usually recognised as a "bluegrass mandolin". Here is the result:

Martin
  20. jamann
    jamann
    Here's the original version I submitted back when I first joined this group back in '09 along with the tab I used. I really love this tune and it's nice to revisit it. It's been a while since I played it and I'll have to give it another go. Nice to see the new submissions and some bluegrass for a change.

21. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Your version, Jamann, is the one I'm using to learn this tune. It ain't easy for me, but Kay got me hooked on it ... so I'm persevering. I love how how slide up, then down in the first measures ... your double stop placement and how much you really get into this tune.
  22. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The Lonesome Moonlight Waltz is one of my favorites. I started learning it last August and I'm glad it made it to the song a week. This is a work in progress. Enjoyed all the versions posted so far... except the one I posted here (so I took it off). Check further down for a version I like better...
  23. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's awesome, Michael. You are amazing. And Kay, really smooth and expressive. Great to see you posting.
    I intend to keep lugging away at this one, but here's what I've got so far. It's on a Gibson A3

24. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Wow, Michael...always impressive! Marcelyn, I always love your take on these tunes and this is no exception!

I took a quick run through this one again this afternoon while I had some down time. Hope to record another version later this week with a couple of others I've been playing this tune with as of late.

25. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Rob, that's just plain outstanding. I love all the feeling you get into it.
    Martin, I listened to both of yours while practiceing, and while I like each, I'm biased toward your Gibson. It sounds really great.
  26. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks, Marcelyn -- your Gibson sounds great, too, and your video has a great waltz swing. I also prefer the sound of the Ajr, but I like to get the Washburn F out every now and then as it's a pretty good instrument, too (way better than the current Washburn models), and sometimes it's nice to have a bit of tonal variety. I probably haven't played it enough recently as the tone on this clip isn't as open and rich as it is when it's properly broken in.

Martin
  27. pezdork
    pezdork

My first try...my first Monroe tune... totally fun to play. I heard a few different. Versions of the b part... this one is easy for me to play. sorry about the poor quality...i was trying this on my phone...ill do it from home next time.
  28. Kay Kirkpatrick
    Kay Kirkpatrick
    Hey, pez, congrats on your first successful post! I had mine on this tune, too, and like you, I found this tune easier than so many of the others, so it was a good place for us to start. This tune, more than many of the others, really comes across differently with each player, and I've been enjoying that. Marcelyn, your post was great as always, and thanks for the encouragement. Ten - thanks for welcoming me, I like it here!
  29. pezdork
    pezdork
    This song has some great soul. I'm on my train. Home. And I'm dying to play it and learn the fancier
    Versions
  30. pezdork
    pezdork
    This song has some great soul. I'm on my train. Home. And I'm dying to play it and learn the fancier
    Versions. . FYI this is the hardest song I know. Never done trills or double stops before. Not looking back now. : P
  31. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Nice first post pezdork! Thanks for the kind words, Marcelyn!
  32. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Well done everyone. This is a fun tune to play and to hear. It inspired me to actually post something this week. It's rough, but hey, so am I...and it's good to lay down a marker, right?

33. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Amazing work here. The great versions just keep coming. Impressive first post, pezdork! I also agree with Michael that Marcelyn's take on music is always right on the money. Michael and Rob ... wow! Eric ... rough ... like a new bowling ball, lol.
  34. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Awesome posts so far guys, it'll take me a while to learn this so I will miss out this week, but love everyone's vids and the feel of the tune........
  35. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    What a lot of really good versions of the Lonesome Moonlight Waltz! Good job everyone.
    (Well, I revisited my previous version of this tune and it's just way too fast.)

Here's another take, this time played at a slower tempo. I like this one better -- it has more feeling I think...

36. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Michael, I'm jealous, to do it once is great, twice is rubbing it in!!!!!! Hahahahaha.........Love it.......
  37. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Michael - Very relaxed, great guitar, another super contribution. Thanks.
  38. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Eric, your tremelo is anything but rough. Really nice.

Michael, I loved the first one you put together, but I think you're right, this one is even better. The feeling really comes through at this speed. That's top notch.
  39. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Thanks all! Feels great to check in here for the encouragement. The tremolo is tricky to sound smooth and musical instead of a shotgun tat-tat-tat-tat type of sound. David Grisman's tremolo, in the video posted by Barbara, is sublime and lyrical. Great tune and a good exercise to coax music out of the instrument.

Nice work all, great versions. Michael, on top of everything else, your sound quality is just so sweet.
  40. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Michael I would agree that this second video outdoes your first---even though that one was a great production, also! Eric, your tremelo did sound great, btw. What great-sounding mando are you playing, btw?
  41. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Moose Bumps! Your second video has a slide guitar, almost Hawaiian feel ... then, here comes the tremolo! Your technique is awesome and delightful to watch also. Gives me something to strive for.
  42. Eric Charles
    Eric Charles
    Thanks Rob! I'm working on getting that tremolo smooth and lyrical. The mando is a Weber Yellowstone Varnish. Sitka spruce top, maple back and sides, bought in December last year. It has just opened up this last month and is evolving from sounding good to great.

I like it so much that I ordered a red spruce top Weber Yellowstone HT build on the collection.
  43. pickloser
    pickloser
    Wonderful job, Eric, and your Weber is sounding great.

Daggum, Michael. I was blown away by both versions.

(I'm hoping to make a move on a camera this weekend.)
  44. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    Here's mine- audio not the best.
  45. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Audio sounded fine to me Amandalyn, Poe sounds great and well played.....
  46. Tavy
    Tavy
    Can I just say this is an awesome tune - so far I've only had about 15 minutes to give it - but that was enough to know that I want to play this one - and that it's going to take some time!!

Serious kudos to all these great versions worked up in such a short time!

Way to go guys!
  47. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Sound was fine on my end! That's a wonderful version ... inspiring and keeps me practicing to be able to play that well; thanks, Amandalyn!
  48. pickloser
    pickloser
    Better late than never. This wasn't an easy one.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...536#post933536

I've really enjoyed the versions heretofore.
  49. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Amandalyn, that was some mighty fine pickin' with a lot of feelin'....
    Pickloser, your version was worth the wait. Very, very smooth... I'm not sure but I think I heard a bit of split string picking in there at times -- what ever you did to get that sound was really cool.
  50. pickloser
    pickloser
    Thanks Michael. Your version is the standard. No split strings; I wish I could. What you heard was probably one of my fracks or an odd sound attributable to old strings. (I hate changing strings.)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast