Week #117 ~ Scatter the Mud (IT)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner, by a landslide, is an Irish Trad tune, Scatter the Mud, which is a jig.

The Session has these alternate names for it: The Noonday Feast, Doran's Fancy, Frehan's, Jack Walsh's, The Maid Of Tramore, Maids Of Tramore, The Maids Of Tramore, Neil Killeen's, Noon Day Feast, The Noon Day Feast, Noonday Feast, Rambles With Rory, and Scattering The Mud.

Here's a link to the tune on thesession.org

Here's the ABC from that site:

X: 1
    T: Noonday Feast, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Ador
    Bd|:eAA BAG|EAA ABd|eAA BAB|d2A Bcd|
    eAA BAG|~E3 AGE|GAB dge|dBA ABd:|
    eaa g2e|dBG GBd|eaa g2e|dBG ABd|
    eaa g2e dBG AGE|GAB dge|dBA ABd|
    eaa g2e|dBG GBd|eaa fga|bag a2b-|
    b^ab g2e|dBG AGE|GAB dge|dBA ABd||

Here is a link to a slightly different transcription of the tune. This is the ABC from that site:

X:1267
    T:Scatter the Mud
    T:The maid of Tranmore
    T:The White Crow
    C:anon.
    O:Ireland
    S:Based on various versions posted on Internet, mainly a transcription by John Walsh
    R:Jig
    Z:Transcribed by Frank Nordberg - http://www.musicaviva.com
    F:http://abc.musicaviva.com/tunes/irel...er-the-mud.abc
    %Posted September 19th 2000 at abcusers by Frank Nordberg.
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:Ador
    "Am"eAA "G"BAA|"Am"eAA "Em"ABd|"Am"eAA BAB|"G"dBG GBd|\
    "Am"eAA BAA|"Am"eAA AGE|"Em"GAB d2e|[1"G"dBA "Am"ABd:|[2"G"dBA "Am"A3||
    |:"Am"aba "G"g2e|"G"dBG GBd|"Am"aba "Em"g2e|"G"dBd e3|\
    "Am"aba "G"g2e|"G"dBG AGE|"Em"GAB d2e|[1"G"dBA "Am"ABd:|[2"G"dBA "Am"A3|]
    W:
    W:
    W: From Musica Viva - http://www.musicaviva.com
    W: the Internet center for free sheet music downloads.
  2. mculliton123
    mculliton123
  3. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    I figured this one was a lock so I learned it last night. Here's a link to the tab:

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/se...er_the_mud.htm

and the tune:

Played on my recent ebay acquisition - a '51 Martin...

Chris
  4. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice job Chris, and that Martin sounds lovely as well!
  5. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Sounded great Chris. You're a quick learner. I sorta knew this one, but don't really have it up to speed yet. Here I'm playing with my Collings MF5-V mandolin and I'm wearing my new Mandolin Cafe hat! There was a recent special on these, but the only color left was red.......and it's bright red!!

Jim
  6. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Oh, that Collings does sound nice, doesn't it? Well done Jim, and personally I think the red Cafe caps look great!
  7. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    I don't think I've ever played this tune, but I've fallen in love with it! I could only get through once without a major screw-up, but I hope to continue playing this, and maybe record it a little later!

I got a new ball cap, too! I'm playing my Collings MT2O mandolin....

8. Toycona
    Toycona
    Here's my extremely quick learning of this song. See you all in a few weeks!!

9. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Nice, Toycona.... tell us about your mandolin! I see it just has markers on the edge, not in the middle of the fingerboard... Sounds great!
  10. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Hey Barb.......Nice hat! and nicely played! We could be in the same band!!

T.....nice picking ......I like the version you played....and even the wind chimes were in tune in the background!!

Jim
  11. Chris Ferreira
    Chris Ferreira
    Great tone and playing everyone! And Barbara - what mistakes? The Collings really rings! BTW, Tom is playing one of two Mann's that have made their way to the SF Bay Area (I have the other one!)...
  12. Toycona
    Toycona
    Chris, Thanks for the props. And David, you sound great on that huge thing!
  13. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    David!!!!! So that's where it went. I look forward to hearing you on the Sobell. You saved me a lot of $$$ buying that! And you play it very well. Great tune!
  14. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    well done everyone - great versions! And it sits particularly well on the OM I think.
  15. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Nice playing everyone. This version is from 8notes -key of C on a Savannah.

16. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Saddle the Pony / Scatter the Mud / Pull the Knife Out and Stick It In Again. Another psychedelic YouTube rendering.

17. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Mike, your video is private. Make it public so we can view it.

Thanks,

Jim
  18. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Thank you, Apple OS upgrade. I could kick myself for installing it. ("Automatically" puts Quicktime vids on YouTube.) Will fix. Thanks for the heads up.
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Hey, Mike, it's still private! I think you can make it public just by going to youtube, and changing it on the video. I want to see / hear it, because just reading the title made me come up with something to play~
  20. Clement Barrera-Ng
    Clement Barrera-Ng
    Lovely playing David, and the Sobell sounds great. Your version reminds me of Gerald Trimble's version on First Flight (I think it was First Flight.. ) where I first heard the tune from. Cheers
  21. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Ah, that Gerald Trimble version is the first time I ever heard the tune as well!
  22. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Some fantastic vids this week, puts me to shame! I rushed mine a little, just restrung so it felt a little weird but it's a great tune and I had to have a bash......

23. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Great job everyone! I'm really enjoying all of the submissions for this week.
    It's a great tune, and you all have played it beautifully!
  24. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Sounds great to me Tosh - well done! I must get cracking on it when I get a moment!
  25. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great playing by everyone. David, you sound great on the Sobell. Congrats! Mike, enjoyed your set and your fiddling. At times in the video, it looked like your head wasn't attached to your body. Tosh, sounds great.
  26. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    This is a great tune! I've been working on it, hopefully I can retain it well enough to record it this week Good job by all!
  27. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Again, Great job everyone!
    What a fun tune. Here are my entries: The first on my Highland Strings 2-Point mandolin, and the second on my Weber Hyalite D-hole Octave Mandolin.
    Hope you enjoy them!

28. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Nice job Ed! Sounds great on both instruments!
  29. Tosh Marshall
    Tosh Marshall
    Ed, I agree with Jill, both sound fantastic.....
  30. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Ed. This tune seems to fit well in both registers. I got started on it last night. But watching you and David I started working out my little finger on my GOM. Maybe it'll be good enough to tape a little later.
  31. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Still trying to catch up after many weeks of mando abstinence:

32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    Lovely playing there Manfred, well done! What mandolin is that?
  33. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Very nice playing Manfred! Also, your mandolin sounds wonderful.
    Is that a Brentrup V6?...Nice!
  34. Toycona
    Toycona
    Wow, Manfred. What a great sounding mando.
  35. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Manfred!!!! That was wonderful, we've missed you! Aren't you somewhere here in the US these days? I'm in the Houston, Texas area, and man, it sure is hot and dry.... hell, it's a drought! So sad to see all the dying trees!
  36. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Jill, Tom, Ed, and Barbara,
    Ed, it's indeed a Brentrup V6 Stealth. Have had it for a month only. It's most likely the last custom mandolin Hans Brentrup built. I waited for almost two years. It has a German spruce top, which Hans suggested as being the wood that creates a more complex tone. I wanted this for the variety of music I try to play. Hans said the real potential of this mando will start to show after about 6 months. Already now it can be played with a very light touch and still sounds great.

Life is short and why not get old with the best instrument one can afford.
    Hans' goal, according to his former Webpage, was to build instruments that one can cherish for the rest of their life. This is what I intend to do. I will just have one backup mando for camping trips and such.

Yes, Barbara, I am now in the Washington D.C. metro area. We had record temperatures here 3 weeks ago.
    I will now post more regularly again. The past few months have been taken up with work, preparations, househunting, and moving to Northern Virginia. My Eastman mandolins and guitar and household goods were in a 40-foot-container for 6 weeks. So it was quite a lucky coincidence that the Brentrup was finished while I was sitting in an empty house without instruments.
  37. Toycona
    Toycona
    So I guess I won't be visiting you in Munich in 2014. Well, welcome to the states. If you ever make it out to the San Francisco Bay Area, give me a shout!!!
  38. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I like your take on 'Scatter the Mud' Manfred. And, it sounds all the better on your new mando. What a nice instrument. I'm with you. I've been putting together a small cache of nice instruments I won't be able to afford when I retire in a few years Then I'll sit back and play till my fingers wear out.
    It's nice to have you in the neighborhood. I live in Washington [State]. I know that's a long distance, but it's continents closer than before. Welcome.
    Gary
  39. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Tom and Gary.
    Gary, my version is from the intermediate Greg Horne book. I particularly like the pull-offs, which start with an UPSTROKE. This is awkward at first but becomes a very nice tool once you master it.
    Send me a PM if you are interested in this version.
  40. cwboal
    cwboal
    I'm going back through the catalog of tunes and trying to learn and contribute. I know this one is from waaaaayyyyy back, but it is a great tune despite my playing. Played on a Keith Newell mandolin.

41. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Good job, cwboal. And some other nice vids above.
  42. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Very nice cwboal. I haven't played this in years. Pretty cool tune. I think I may have to revive it.
  43. cwboal
    cwboal
    Thanks Frithjof and Robert. I've been away a while and know I'm rough, but I'm trying to get back into it.
  44. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    well played CW, i'm glad you brought this one back to life, i thought i knew this tune but had given the name to a completely different jig , the mug of brown ale, which actually goes well after this one. a quick run through of the bare bones of it on the shippey 10 string, i snapped a tuner off it about a month ago and its still in tune

45. Robert Balch
    Robert Balch
    Well done gortnamona.
  46. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Great picking, Lawrence, and sweet sound of your Shippey.
  47. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Simon - here you go - a terrible rendition, but should be worth a couple SAW points

My apologies to all you great jig players on here.
  48. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Nice job, Bad Habits. I like your strong right hand. What's a SAW point?
  49. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Really good BH, you probably get the full 97 points. I think Ginny, Dennis, John or Bertram or Barbara or Frithjof or David or Robert or Bbcee or Mike or some of the others sign the points out.
    Your post, by the way, that’s actually a good rendition (because all posts are )

You’ve got good timing, so I’d say about four days of strict jig Dud,Dud with a metronome set to swing time should do it.
    Your marriage too.
    But then again probably better to ask the others rather than me because I’m a crazy right hand pick pattern fanatic!

Are you a foot tapper?
    Bertram is probably the most energetic foot tapper we have here.
    And if you have any questions about music theory I think John would probably give you the most eloquent answer.
  50. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Mike - thank you, I work hard on right hand technique, as I really believe that is where the tone comes from. As far as what an SAW point is . . . . I'll let Simon explain.

Simon - whew, at least you grant me some points! And no, I am not really a foot tapper as I don't want to stir up the vermin in the basement

Thanks for the kind comments guys.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast