Mid Missouri and Big Muddy Serial Numbers

1. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I am starting the post to give owners in the group an idea of the Date in which their instruments were built. Mid Missouri started up Circa 1995, the change to Big Muddy came about 6 or 7 years ago.

These are approximate, so if anyone can give the exact dates, please do so. Also if you know when your instrument was built or purchased, please post it here and include how the date is known or surmised.

About 10 years ago I emailed the Mid Missouri Company to inquire about getting a new bridge to lower the instrument's action. At the same I asked about when my instrument was made. Within a year or 2, I read on the Mandolin Cafe Forum that Mid Missouri had suffered a Computer Crash by which it's Serial Number Records were lost.

The date for my Mid Missouri M-4 was given to me from the company records. When I bought the M-1 from the Cafe Classifieds, it was listed as being 2001 by the seller. Of course the company record is more accurate, I do not even have the M-1 seller's address to ask him how he came up with the date.

I welcome anyone to post here in order to get a record of serial numbers by date. if you do wish to post, please give an idea of where the information comes from, ie:

From the builder himself,

From a bill of sale,
    Quoted by a previous owner etc.

Thanks.

My own 2 serial numbers:

Mid Missouri M-4, Serial Number 1557, Shipped from maker in Jan 1998, as quoted by Builder.

Mid Missouri M-1, Serial Number 5346, Listed as 2001 by former owner in Cafe Classified Ad.

This shows a production of 1789 instruments in a period of 3 to 3 1/2 years.
  2. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    I've got 2 Big Muddies.
    MW-OW (walnut/spruce wide neck) ordered and made in March of 2009, purchased directly from Mike Dulak. serial #0431.
    M-0 (mahogany/spruce no binding) ordered and made in October of 2010, purchased directly from Mike. serial #0670.
    (typo?) 3789 in 3 to 3 1/2 years. We could assume that the current production rate slowed a bit, 239 in 1 1/2 years. Mike did tell me that at the peak of production he had 5 or 6 employees and over 20 dealers that he was supplying. Now it's just him and a part time helper.
  3. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Yes sorry, I hit 1 instead of 3 the serial numbers are correct. Mr Dulak had several employees at Mid Missouri, I believe Big Muddy may be his alone.

Thanks for the response Dave.
  4. dougiebe
    dougiebe
    Gosh, I can't even remember when I purchased my M-1... probably 2001 or 2002 but it was used at that time (though like new so I presume it's about a 2000 or a 2001). It's serial number is 2176 and it is marked "Blem." It has become quite "blemmed" since I've had it Great mando!
  5. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Thanks for the response, I would like to get Serial Numbers across the history of Mid Missouri/Big Muddy so we can date them.
  6. johnlisa29
    johnlisa29
    I have a M0 with the serial #1285 I purchased at Dusty Strings in Seattle in 1997. It's a dandy little mandolin with big sound!
  7. johnlisa29
    johnlisa29
    Oh, I forgot, as if the year wasn't enough. . .it's a Mid Missouri.
  8. 8 String Samurai
    8 String Samurai
    Mine is an M-4W serial 5675 bought from Folk Mote music in Santa Barbara, 2004.
  9. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    8 String, is yours a Mid Missouri or a Big Muddy. I am not sure when the date of the change was.
  10. 8 String Samurai
    8 String Samurai
    It's a Mid-Missouri. Sweet sound and the wide neck makes it easy on the fingers.
  11. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    An M-0 serial no. 4170 is in the classifieds. The seller says he bought it in 2001. If that is the case then my M-1 with serial no.5346 is later than the 2001 that the seller quoted in his classifieds ad. I believe he bought it used.
  12. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Serial numbers for Mid-Mos at least are very strange -- don't know about Big Muddy. Look at this discussion thread from 2006, at the time Mid-Mo went out of business (Link). As reported in that thread, there are at least four different Mid-Mos all with the same serial number #3345, and the years and numbers don't add up for anything like chronological numbering. So, these numbers may mean something or may be randomly allocated but only Mike Dulak himself will know.

For what it's worth, my Mid-Mo M-0W is from around 2004 (I bought it used in 2006 and the seller said it was two years old) and has #4328.

Martin
  13. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Thanks for the link Martin, It establishes Mid Missouri's demise as Oct 06 and Big Muddy's startup as November of that year. Also some more serial numbers. If i can gather another 20 or so, it should give a good basis for a chart to give a ballpark for build dates.

I think, despite the irregularities, Mid Missouri serial numbers are generally sequential. perhaps the duplicates are from various workers getting the same number from the register for instruments that each of them had finished around the same time and inking the number in by hand without adding it to the register.

Mike Dulak's reputation for customer service is a refreshing feature of owning one of his instruments.
  14. metcalfenator
    metcalfenator
    Mine is a Big Muddy M-0w with serial number 0044. I was fortunate enough to receive it as a gift this last Christmas. From the serial number and the amount of fret wear (it's a used instrument), I'm guessing it's been around for a little while.
  15. Muscovite
    Muscovite
    I own a Mid-Missouri M-4, 1075 mandolin. I purchased it in Moscow, Idaho at Guitar's Friend and have owned it for long time...it is my main mandolin. Dulak used to live in Moscow and worked on guitars. He moved to Missouri and started to make mandolins. I purchased my Mid-Missouri a year or two after he left Moscow...my guess is about 1996 or 1997. My Mid-Missouri is SWEET! It has a Brazilian rosewood body which really warms up the tone. I did have to do some work on the string height...the outer (G and E) strings were higher than the inner strings (D and A). When I played the mandolin, it felt like there was a trough in the middle of the fretboard and is was like my pick would "get stuck" in the middle. The Hofner mandolin I played previous to Mid-Missouri had a radius neck and this probably accentuated the problem for me. We lowered the outer strings by filing the nut. I purchased a spark plug gapper and laid that across the fretboard to know when to stop filing the nut to avoid fret buzz. After a little unauthorized mandolin repair, it played like a charm! I completely agree...Dulak is a great guy and I think his mandolins are some of the best instruments available for the price. P.S. This is my first post on the Mandolin Cafe! This site looks like a lot of fun.
  16. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Hi again, by the drop in Serial Numbers for METCALFINATOR's Big muddy M-0W at 0044, it looks like the serial numbers from Mid Missouri were stopped and then Big Muddy Instruments started up again. Thanks everyone for posting, it is gradually getting there.
  17. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Possibly this can serve as somewhat of an end date. I purchased Big Muddy MW 0 in mid April from Dusty Strings in Seattle. Not sure when made, but they do turn over inventory pretty quickly SN is 0854. Hope that helps.
  18. Dobes2TBK
    Dobes2TBK
    FWIW, my new-to-me Mid-Mo M-O is SN 4882. The logo on the label is different than yours, dougiebe, in that it's a partial outline of a mando laying on it's side, showing the internal bracing. It shows the company name as "Mid-Missouri Mandolin Co, Inc". Hope that helps.

Kinda cool, I'm seeing a little pick wear on the top near the bridge, and that's about it for wear.
  19. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    That will date the instrument c.2003, by my calculations based on the serial numbers submitted here so far. Thanks for posting.
  20. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    My new one, MW-0 (May 2012) is sn# 0886.

Dave
  21. Dave Kirkpatrick
    Dave Kirkpatrick
    My new (August 2012) Big Muddy mandola, an MW-14, is serial number 889.
  22. bratsche
    bratsche
    Sorry I didn't see this thread before. My three instruments were all purchased secondhand, so I'm unsure of their building dates. I have Mid Missouri M-2 mandolin #3083 (with ebony fretboard, bridge & headstock veneer, as well as a custom dark stain overall). And my mandolas are Mid Missouri M-16 #072 and Big Muddy M-11M #0605 (a mandola version of the M-11; I don't know if it's one of a kind - obviously it was a special order, originally).

bratsche
  23. Shawshank
    Shawshank
    I have a Big Muddy M-1, serial #0134 made in 2007, according to Mike Dulak who built it. I've had it since April 2010.
  24. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Bratsche, your M-16 is really early, probably about 1995, the M-11M is likely 2007. The M-1 would be about 2000.

Thanks for posting everyone.
  25. MK in NC
    MK in NC
    This won't help with dating of the older instruments, but perhaps it will be of use moving forward.

I purchased a new M-11 from Acoustic Corner in Black Mountain, N.C., just a few weeks ago. It's serial number is 0916.
  26. bigyabby
    bigyabby
    Could someone help date this Mid-Missouri mandolin bought second hand in Australia.

Solid Santos rosewood back and sides, Englemann spruce top, Gabon ebony fretboard and bridge.
    Custom M4-W Serial 4842 with chrome Grover tuning gears and tail piece, and herringbone side and back centre strips.

Thanks

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/at...hmentid=102156
  27. bigyabby
    bigyabby
    Thanks everyone. But got my answer from Mike Dulak who says it is likely 1998.
  28. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    bigyabby,

I didn't notice this until today, according to what hasbeen posted here, 4842 should be c2003.

Anyoone else out there care to add, I am building up a database. i have let it go for a while, but still am interested in Serial Numbers and Dates.

Thanks
  29. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I intended to say in my last posting, I am not going to put anyone's name or personal information in the DATYABASE. it is being done in EXCEL.
  30. shanzelka
    shanzelka
    MW-14 (mandola) Serial #1005, bought at Dusty Strings last summer. Susan
  31. FatBear
    FatBear
    Big Muddy MD-0w, S/N 0694. Purchased from Pioneer Music in Portland in 2011. But that was after two years of recession so I have no idea how long they had it before I bought it.
  32. Shawn Heming
    Shawn Heming
    Mid-Missouri M-2 serial #3557. Bought from Appalachian Bluegrass.
  33. big muddy
    big muddy
    Mid-Missouri or Big Muddy mandolin serial numbers as follows:

Mid-Missouri mandolins were started in 1995 with the first serial number as 1001. The last mandolin was serial number 6166 made in August, 2006.

The first Big Muddy mandolin, s/n 001 was made in November 2006 and continues.

Maybe, I'll do the 'big' research and post exact years of serial numbers to clear up all questions. That's a big 'maybe' as I am lazy by nature.

Yup, this is from the big dog, Mike. I am the owner and founder of both Mid-mo and Big Muddy and also the janitor these days. Email me for exact dates if you need to have one and thanks for being a fan.
  34. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Thanks Mike, You may remember me sending you the Santa Claus sign.
  35. liam curry
    liam curry
    Hey Everyone

I'm new to the Café, but have had a Mid-Mo for several years now. I bought it back in 2006? I think.

I have an M-11 Serial number 5378.
  36. Dobes2TBK
    Dobes2TBK
    Found a new-to-me Mid-Mo at Music Go Round this eve. She's seen some use, and a touch of neglect. I'll be sealing her in a plastic bag with some damp sponges here in a bit, but I'll take photos first (& sonically annoy the neighbors ) It's an MM-8, Serial # 426. Somewhere along the line somebody used bolts thru the back for neck join. It's got a top crack on the bass side, near the fretboard, and I believe a thin crack in the back that may or may not have been repaired with superglue. The action's also a little high going up the neck. I'll send it to my favorite luthier repairman, once I've put some humidity back in.
  37. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I believe the MM-4 and the MM8 had bolt on necks. They were a smaller travel mandolin and are discontinued.
  38. Dobes2TBK
    Dobes2TBK
    Yep, I did some research on it, and the Mini-Mo's were built like electrics - neck & body separate, then bolted. It's at the shop at the mo, I may give them another holler tomorrow - I'd like to take it with when I go over east of Springfield MO this weekend.
  39. objectsession
    objectsession
    Just got my new Big Muddy, so I can add another reference point:

Serial #: 1062
    Date: July 2015
    Model: Big Muddy M-2
  40. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    Thanks Everyone for the information.

Here is what I have so far.

Mid Missouri

Serial Number Model Date Remarks

72 M-16 c1995 Mandola
    1075 M-4 c1997 Guitar's Friend
    1285 M-0 1997 Dusty Strings
    1557 M-4 Jan-98 Phone to M Dulak
    2176 M-1 c2001
    3083 M-2 c2001
    4170 M-0 2001
    4328 M-0W 2004
    4842 M-4W c2003 Australia #NAME?
    4882 M-0 c2003
    5346 M-1 2001 Date not correct c2004
    5376 M-11 2006 Date, new or used? c2004
    5675 M-4W 2004 Folk Mote Music

3345 There are supposedly, at least 4 instruments with this Ser. No.
    426 MM-8 c1997 Smaller model, bolt on neck

Big Muddy Nov 2006 Startup

Serial Number Model Date Remarks

44 M-0W c2007 Second hand, date unknown
    134 M-1 2007
    431 MW-0W Mar-09 Ordered by owner
    605 M-11M c2010 Mandola
    670 M-0 Oct-10 Ordered by owner
    694 MD-0W 2011 Pioneer Music
    854 M-0W Apr-12 Dusty Strings
    886 M-0W May-12
    889 MW-14 Aug-12
    916 M11 Oct-12 Acoustic Corner
    1005 MW-14 Jul-05 Dusty Strings
    1062 M-2 Jul-15
  41. Mandochemist
    Mandochemist
    Hi folks -

My M-2 was from a special series that showed off some of the best woods from a tonewood supplier (Old Standard Wood) that MidMo used. It is gorgeous maple and Adirondack spruce. See photo on the main group page. I think I bought it in 2002. The tone is bright and it has good volume. A lovely instrument all around. SN 4121
  42. bwnunnally
    bwnunnally
    Here are two more:
    Mid-Missouri M-0 4481 (unknown, but prob 2002?)
    Big Muddy MW-0 3130 made in 2021
  43. Eric Platt
    Eric Platt
    Another one to add - Big Muddy M-11 - 0706 - about 2011. Just purchased, but Mike said it was made about 12 years ago.
  44. Dave Hicks
    Dave Hicks
    Big Muddy M1X #3279, made "about a year ago" according to Mike, so late 2022-early 2023.

D.H.
  45. Sue Rieter
    Sue Rieter
    Never did add mine here. Mid Missouri M15 mandola - #0133; 1999 per Mike D.
  46. Dave_KC
    Dave_KC
    I have a Big Muddy M-11vw #1168 and a Mid-Missouri M-1 Serial #3393
  47. azyeoman
    azyeoman
    My son has a M4W - #1047