Best type of string for a bowlback?

1. aconnormartin
    aconnormartin
    Recently got a bowlback and just put some medium gage strings on so i could play it (i knew it would sound bad) but i want good strings for it now. Any suggestions?
    Cheers from Dallas!
    Connor
  2. akumite
    akumite
    After I Purchased my bowl back I took it to a local luthier and had him do a set up. Which Includes Neck adjustment, setting actions, radiusing action, and calibrating nut, minor fret work, adjust tuner screws and nuts lubricate tuning machines, and general cleanup and resting. The strings he recommended where D' ADDARIO J62 Light Phosphor Bronze Wound. It sounds great.
  3. aconnormartin
    aconnormartin
    alright sounds good. Also.. the only place with people who know anything about stringed instruments where i'm from is an old guitar shop. Not sure if there are any luthiers of people who know anything about mandolins let alone bowlbacks there! Thanks so much for your help! I have D'Addario mediums on it i think so i i'll switch to light strings!
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    The lighter the better. Those necks and tops can't take a lot of tension. I use GHS ultra light on my bowlbacks.