Conor O'Neill's

1. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Hi everyone, Conor O'Neill's on Main Street in Ann Arbor has an Irish session every Sunday, 7pm-10pm. Dinner, beer, music, no cover charge: what more could you ask for? I'm going this Sunday (Aug. 21) for the first time. Join me?? I'll be wearing the MandolinCafe t-shirt.

Anne.
  2. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Hi Anne. Thanks for posting. Are you bringing your mando or tenor banjo? Wish I could join, but that's a 240 mile drive. I hope you find some good craic there.
  3. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Hi Steve, no, I'm not bringing anything to play. Not ready for prime time, as they say. I would like to hear what an Irish session sounds like, how proficient the players are, which tunes they play, etc.

If you're ever in the area on a Sunday evening, let me know & we'll go over there.

Anne.
  4. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    That was a blast! Good food, great beer, and a terrific Irish session. Folks are friendly and fairly proficient, and it looks like anyone can join in. There were about 15 people, 20 instruments, about half were fiddlers, 3 bodhrans (not all playing at the same time, thankfully), accordian, Irish pipes, tin whistle, flutes, couple of guitars, and a banjo (although the banjo player preferred to drink than play). What the hey - no mandos?!
  5. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Anne,
    In that crowd, you couldn't hear a mando! Glad you had a good time.
  6. AnneFlies
    AnneFlies
    Has anyone been going on Sundays? I've gone the past 4 weeks and really enjoy it. Good food, great beers on tap, and terrific Irish music. I also started going to the Detroit Irish Musicians Assoc. lessons & session on Thursdays in Ann Arbor. www.DetroitIMA.org

Where are all the Michigan Cafe folks???
  7. kmfrank
    kmfrank
    I've been to this occasionally - I'm not an Irish player, but I can fake my way through enough fiddle tunes to get by after a turn or two, and pick up the chord progressions.

The coordinator for it is Marty Somberg, he's a good friend of mine, and a great fiddle player - he's well known for his Irish stylings, but I played with him in a bluegrass band for several years.

It's a fun jam, I encourage everyone to go and have fun

The food and beer is also top notch!

Send me a PM if you're going to make it out - I'm an Ann Arborite, so I'll try to make it to the session if I have the time and bring my mandolin!