Week #123 ~ Liza Jane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner by a landslide is an Old Time tune, Liza Jane.

Here is a link to Goodbye Liza Jane from John Chambers' abc collection and the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T: Good-bye Liza Jane (basic tune)
    M: C|
    L: 1/8
    B: Kuntz - Ragged but Right
    Z: AK/Fiddler's Companion
    F: http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/GOO_GOW.htm
    K: G
    |: "G"G2G2 "D7"A2A2 | "G"B2B2 "C"c4 | "G"B2G2- G4 | "D7"F2D2- D4 \
    | "G"G2G2 "D7"A2A2 | "G"B2B2 "C"c4 | "G"B2G2 "D7"A2F2 | "G"G6 z2 :|
    |: "G"d4 "C"e3d | "G"B2 d6 | "G"B2G2 A2G2 | "G"B6 z2 \
    | "G"d4 "C"e3d | "G"B2 d6 | "G"B2G2 "D7"A2F2 | "G"G6 z2 :|

Here is a link to Little Liza Jane from Nigel Gatherer and the abc from that site:

X:583
    T:Little Liza Jane
    S:Friends
    Z:Nigel Gatherer
    L:1/8
    M:4/4
    K:A
    ef | a2 f2 e3 e | fecB A2 ef | a2 f2 e2 c2 | f6
    ef | a2 e2 e3 e | fecB A4 | cBAF E2 F2 | A4 A2 :|
    z2 | Bccc c3 A | B2 A6 | Bccc cB A2 | F6
    E2 | F A3 B3 A | B c3 B3 A | cBAF E2 F2 | A4 A2 :|]

Here is a link to Big Liza Jane from SPUDS and the abc from that site:

X: 1
    T:Big Liza Jane
    M:C|
    L:1/8
    K:D
    |:"D"D2F2A4 |BAF2A3A| d2d2dBAB |d3ed4 |
    "D"D2F2A4 |BAF2A2AB | "G"d2f2edB2|"A"A3BA4Ê :|
    |:"G"g2ga gfeg |"D"f2fg fe d2 | "A"efed cABc | "D"dcdef4 |
    "G"g3fg4|"D"f2fgfed2|"A"efed cAB2|1A3BA4 :|2A2G2F2E2|]

Here is a link to a page of Old Time Fiddle tunes, that has a link to notation for Little Liza Jane.

For what it's worth, here's a link to guitar chords and lyrics for Little Liza Jane (Vince Gill) and if you click a link on that page, you can hear Vince doing it.
  2. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Bear in mind that there are two Liza Jane's. One is a song and the other is a fiddle tune (different tunes). I assume we're working on the fiddle tune.
  3. Jeffrey Sawyer
    Jeffrey Sawyer
    Cool I got it with tabs and will start right away this is my first SAW!!!

Jeffrey
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Welcome Jeffrey. Looking forward to your version.
    Martin, here's a banjo tune of the week forum grappling with the same "Which Liza Jane will we play?" question.
    http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/174580
    To date, I know two fiddle tunes going by her name, each have fun words. My bet is, I'll know a few more by the end of this week. Say what you want about Hellen of Troy, but it was Liza Jane who launched a thousand OT tunes.
  5. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    "Say what you want about Hellen of Troy, but it was Liza Jane who launched a thousand OT tunes."

LOL!
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    I learned Liza Jane (key of A) from the Portland Collection. Goodbye Liza Jane (a different tune) is in the Fiddler Fakebook, and Big Liza Jane (yet another different tune and in the key of D) is also in the Portland Collection... Little Liza Jane (Fiddler's Fakebook) matches Liza Jane in the Portland Collection... Let's do 'em all...
  7. Eddie Sheehy
    Here's Liza Jane/Little Liza Jane (2nd tune)... and I start on the B part...

8. Eddie Sheehy
    (Little) Liza Jane - played on a Vega Cylinder Back mandolin model 203

9. Eddie Sheehy
    Big Liza Jane - played on a Vega Cylinder Back mandolin model 205

10. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Eddie, nice job. You really nail those sixteenth notes in Little Liza. I'm having trouble with those. My pickin' hand is too slow, so I'm trying to hammer on/pull off and not quite getting it.

Sorry that crowd was so rude to you, what with all that clapping interrupting you. ;o)
  11. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Two great ones Eddie! Ever since you posted that first one a few weeks ago I've been working on that clean, rythmic style you have. It really sounds good, especially in that dance setting. I hadn't heard Big Liza before, and what a cool mandolin.

Here's another Little Liza Jane...

12. jordandvm
    jordandvm
    Great renditions Eddie and Marcelyn! What a treat to hear you sing too! You look like you're having a blast! And nice chord chops too! Looks like you played your Newell too!
    I did a first on this one.....only one take! That's a first for me! Oh, there's some mistakes, but not the usual breakdowns so I'd have to start all over again.
    Played with my Newell A style mandolin.

Jim
  13. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for the great and varied demonstrations, Eddie, Marcy, and Jim.

Marcy, great to hear you sing.
    And there won't be an upload collision this time. I haven't even started practicing this tune yet.
  14. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, Jim, back to back Newells this week, what a great sound. Love all those old time slides and embellishments in your version.

Manfred, quit slacking, I'm already onto my second Liza.
  15. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Great work Marcy and Jim! Here's mine, Eliza Jane and Little Liza Jane combined. I realized I had a mustard stain on my shorts only after recording. Sigh. Had the Chicago Dog at Sonic this afternoon. It was worth it.

16. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Good work from all, nice to see Eddie in action there. At least this gives me an excuse to repost an old video - Goodbye Liza Jane, this is, the old Bob Wills classic
  17. Mike Floorstand
    Mike Floorstand
    There is a version of this on Martin Simpson's new album http://www.amazon.co.uk/Purpose-Grac.../dp/B0056ZWYRG

Cheers
  18. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Whoa! Thanks for showing us how it's done David! That was great.
  19. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I had no idea there were so many Liza Jane tunes. Marcelyn, I remembered your version as soon as I heard it. Great playing and singing. Eddie, never heard the Big Liza Jane. Love the sound of those cylinder backs. OS, never heard that one either--great playing. Jim, that's the version I know but play in D instead of A. Martin, great job combining the 2 tunes. The tune of the week is off to a stellar start!
  20. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Send in the drones!!!

21. David Hansen
    David Hansen
    Don you were supposed to wait for me to post, I was supposed to be the warm up act and you were supposed to be the headliner especially with that post! Yikes! I originally opted for drones but switched to back up band because I was having a hard time with the rhythm of the B part.

22. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    David, you're being way too modest. Love the slides in the B part, and the overall feel and bounce you put into the tune. I always look forward to hearing your versions of the tunes.
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Wow, everyone is awesome on this one. Love those mandolins Eddie! My version is close to Marcelyn's and was inspired by the great blues mandolin player, Carl Martin. However, when I got finished recording it, it had morphed into an Old Timey / Bluegrass song. Go figure!

24. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Great job everybody. How many mandolins do you have anyway Eddie?? LOL Dave and Don.......you're hard acts to follow! I've played Liza Jane in D for quite awhile. Here it is recently on the mandola, a few years back on the mandolin, and then how it should sound!

25. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    So many brilliant performances: I decided to try a different style. This version is from Flutetunes- key of d played on an old Russian thing.

26. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    And here is the Nigel Gatherer version on a Stagg.

27. Toycona
    Toycona
    Great job, all. Michael, that Gibson gives it the "straight from the mountains" sound. Or is it the vocals? Maybe banjo percolating in the background. I'm going to pass on this one and take a stab at "Pig Ankle Rag." With a name like that, I think I owe it to myself to learn it.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Woah, this week's thread is so fun. David, Don, and Sean, you guys really do amazing things with that tune. You each have such a great style to make it your own too.
    Michael, that was great! Love the banjo backup and vocals.
    Duncan, really impressive rhythm in the B part of your version.

Here's yet another. This one's called Poor Miss Liza Jane. I found it while combing Youtube for Liza Jane tunes this week. Apparently, it's been recorded by Doc Watson among others.

29. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    I think you're right Sean. John R. does play it the way it should be. On what many believe to be the finest of all the Loars. I love watching him play. He makes it look so easy. Of course you all make it look easy also. Great job on all the Lisa's. the Loar is nice but I wouldn't mind playing a Heiden, or Gil, or Sobell, or Vega Cylinderback, or esspecially Micheals old Gibby.
    Marcelyn. Your singing brings a smile to my face.
    Gary
  30. laura809
    laura809
    Thanks to everyone for all the great submissions. This version is Little Liza Jane from the Mandolin Picker's Fakebook. It seems like a totally different song than the Lil' Liza jane found in my Parking Lot Picker's fakebook, which is similar to the one Marcelyn did a nice vocal version of early in the week. I am trying to work on straightening out my wrist on my right hand while I play, but as soon as I start concentrating on the song, I fall right back in the usual position. Does anyone have any advice on posture and right hand technique?
  31. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nicely played Laura! I'm not positive but I think you're holding the mandolin like a guitar... try getting a strap and adjust to various lengths on the strap until you find a position where your wrist just has to straighten out. The wrist seems fine otherwise!

Marcelyn, the Doc Watson version of this song is my favorite. Yours is a close second.

Gary, I used my Gibson F2 on this instrumental version of Liza Jane. I apologize for the poor camera angle that cuts off my left hand half way through -- good close up of my right hand however!

32. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nicely played Michael, but the music doesn't kick in until well after the pickin' begins! I really like the pick up notes on the phrases in the A part. Groovy little jump up the neck too! That F2 sounds great.
  33. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    All those variations are awesome, Michael! I love this instrumental Liza--glad you gave us your take on it too.
  34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Martin, glad you liked it. The music I left out was just some run on mandolin from the previous take -- didn't allow enough space between takes I guess.

Thanks Marcy! (Here's some more variations cause it never comes out the same twice in a row..) It bothered me that the left hand in the last video was cropped, so I made another one -- this time a bluegrass version! (That's a Kentucky KM600 mandolin being played.)

35. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    Great stuff, Michael, I believe you know this tune inside and out, forward and backward. I enjoyed your versions too, Shaun, especially the dola. Enjoyed maudlin's playing and Marcelyn's playing and wonderful voice.

Great to see you posting, Laura. You might look up peter martin on youtube for his videos on the proper ergonomics for holding and playing the mandolin. It's excellent material that I recommend very highly.

Edit: Here's the one for holding the mandolin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okfQEnCeB9E There's also videos by him on right and left hand technique.
  36. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Laura. I liked your version very mucch. It was very sweet and flowed nicely. Check out the 'instructional videos'. I like Mike Marshall's the best.
    While searching for the video's I ran into the dreaded 'Pretty Polly' and had to give her a bump. Nothing beats a good murder ballad.
    Gary
  37. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Yes, that instructional video was really helpful to me as well. Your tone and smooth picking sound great, Laura. Keep posting regularly and it's amazing how quickly you'll see improvement.

That's wild how different those two versions are from one another, Michael. You've definitely got the old time and bluegrass sounds nailed. I'm thinking on CD volume 3, one would make a great reprise.

I couldn't let this week go by without learning the fiddle tune everyone sounds so awesome on.

38. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Marcy, that one was fine, fine, fine -- finer than a frog's hair split three times.
  39. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice as usual Marcelyn.
    There was a version of Lisa Jane taught at Sore Fingers. Does anyone have a copy of that?
  40. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks Gary and Michael. That made my night, because I'm sure last week I could only split a frog's hair two ways--if that.
  41. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    We seem to have a lot of great versions of this, so here's one more from me - this is inspired by a recording I have of the Greencards doing Little Liza Jane in A. Sorry my video production skills aren't what they were - I'm out of practice and have all new software, so the video is just something vague to watch while the tune is playing. I'll get it figured out next time..

42. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Gnarlatious! Love your mandolin style OS.
  43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    OSsome! Loved it, David.
  44. laura809
    laura809
    Thanks for all the links and suggestions on posture. I am hoping that if I improve my posture I will eventually be able to develop more speed in my playing.

I decided to try to learn Goodbye Liza Jane too, since there are so many Liza Jane songs to choose from. It's still a little rough, but here is what I have so far.
  45. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Very nice playing. Your posture looks real relaxed and efficient in the video. This is one of the key elements to be able to play FAST!
  46. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I happened to already have a video of us playing this tune so I thought I would post it. My wife had just taken up guitar when we made this in June of last year. She plays for our Old Time Band now (and ain't too shabby).
  47. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    So many versions, such good playing. And a very hard act to follow.
    I had problems with all the different versions and was glad I finally found this one:

48. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Those double stops sounded tricky, Manfred. I'm going to work on figuring that out tomorrow. I love the sustain on your mandolin.

Really fun version from you guys too, Steve. If that's your wife just taking up guitar, I'll bet she's pretty amazing a year later.
  49. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    OS, great to see you posting again. That's the stuff.

Cool version with the doublestops, Manfred. Your mandolin sounds wonderful.

Laura, you look much more comfortable and relaxed in your new video.

Steve, love it.
  50. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Here's the one just called "Liza Jane". I learned this from Mike Marshall, who said he learned it from Scott Nygaard, just like John Reischman in his video - although they play it differently nonetheless - as do I.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast