Black & White Rag (In Progress)

1. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    I'm about 20% of the way through learning the Black & White Rag (George Botsford, 1908) in a duo arrangement by Deborah Greenblatt. I uploaded a recording of the part I've got so far. Now on to the variations that make up the rest of the song!

http://soundcloud.com/brent-hutto/blackwhiterag

P.S. I will admit to one "cheat" on this recording. Near the end there's a spot where I had to snip about 2-1/2 beats worth of dead space out of the part that in the left channel. I normally try to record things as an honest rendering of how I played it but got impatient this time around, sorry.
  2. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    That's an attractive arrangement and very well played Brent. The version I have seen has three sections and the last two are pretty difficult so I look forward to hearing the rest of the piece.
  3. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    This piece was popularised in the fifties by Winifred Attwell. The first and third sections are in the key of G and the second in the key of C. The third section is very difficult so I had to record it separately on a Gremlin.

4. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Well done, both. Ragtime is so evocative as a musical form. Loved the appearance of Winifred Atwell in your clip, M.
  5. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Loved your B part, MM. What a happy bit of music, a real toe-tapper.