El Condor Pasa

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    I've recently come across an anonymous mandolin orchestra arrangement for El Condor Pasa, written in 1913 by the Peruvian composer Daniel Alomia Robles (based on Andean folk themes), but known mainly through the 1970 Simon & Garfunkel recording (a US Top Ten hit).

I've adapted the first mandolin part from that arrangement for solo playing -- it's a fun tune on mandolin!

Martin
  2. Eddie Sheehy
    That sounds like something the LAMO might be interested in Martin...
  3. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I like that Martin.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Jim/Eddie -- thanks. Eddie: I have the PDF on my office PC but I'll send it over on Monday.

Martin
  5. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    I'd appreciate it too Martin. Thanks
  6. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Jim -- no problem, just send me a PM with your email address. I don't want to post it publically as there is still copyright on the tune. I think it will be public domain next year: the composer, Daniel Alomia Robles, died in 1942 so the 70-year period from the death of the composer expires in 2012.

Martin
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Revisiting this tune more than a decade later, using a different arrangement.

My instrumental arrangement of this Peruvian tune is based on a setting by the "Orquesta de Pulso y Púa", from their wonderful free archive at:

https://jidumicodi.jimdofree.com/

(Thanks to Eoin for posting the link in the Classical forum last week).

Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar

https://youtu.be/m_MZLNh8ohA

Martin
  8. John W.
    John W.
    I liked that, Martin…another tune you’ve inspired me to add to my list…
  9. Christian DP
    Christian DP
    I especially like the places where the orchestra stops to come in again four beats later; nice recording Martin.
  10. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Beautiful version, Martin!
  11. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Fine playing as usual Martin. These are some great tunes and songs.