Proudlock's Fancy

1. WillFly
    WillFly
    A great tune from the pen of Scottish fiddler James Hill (c.1811-1853) who spent most of his playing life in Newcastle-upon-Tyne area and Gateshead - playing in pubs. He was a superlative exponent of the Newcastle-style hornpipe and wrote much of his stuff in Bb! I got the dots for "Proudlock's Fancy" from a Northumberland piper's tune book - written out in G - and transposed it into D for the tenor guitar. Whatever key's chosen, the little finger has to work overtime... I set myself the task of playing it three times through, and at a fairly cracking pace - and eventually got it down. If anyone wants the abc, just let me know what key you'd like it in...

2. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    A very carefree and friendly tune. The face at the end was priceless.

I don't know why I didn't notice this before: do you play downstrokes only? If yes, that speed is unbelievable.
  3. WillFly
    WillFly
    I don't always play continuous downstrokes - depends on the tune and the intention. Where I want a continuous forced attack and plenty of volume - like on this tune - I tend to use downstrokes. Probably a left-over from my rock'n roll days!
  4. Grommet
    Grommet
    Another gem Will! Keep 'em comming. That tenor sounds awesome.

Scott