The Laird of Drumblair

1. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    This is a strathspey, about which form there has been discussion on the forum recently, by the great James Scott Skinner. I am playing it here on octave mando and tenor guitar and the accompaniment is on bouzouki.

Here is the abc:

X:1
    T: Laird Of Drumblair, The
    M: 4/4
    L: 1/8
    R: strathspey
    K: Amaj
    (3EFG|:A2c>A E>Ac>e|a2g>a f>ae>c|(3def (3efg (3aed (3cBA|(3Bcd (3cBA (3G FE (3dcB|
    A2c>A E>Ac>e|a2g>a f>ae>c|(3def (3efg (3aed (3cBA|1 (3GFE (3dcB A2 (3EFG:|
    [2 (3GFE (3dcB A2 (3efg|:a2e>a c>aA>a|(3cBA e>A a>ec>e|b2f>b d>bB>f|
    (3dcB f>B b>fd>f|a2e>a c>aA>a|(3cBA e>A a>ec>e|(3def (3efg (3aed (3cBA|
    [1 (3GFE (3dcB A2 (3efg:|2 (3GFE (3dcB A2||

2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a catchy tune, John. I haven't tried to play it yet, but it sounds to me like it really gets the fingers moving. Wonderful playing.
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    I *like* it! Cool Scotish "snaps." I need to work on some strathspeys. I love hornpipes and they're very similar. Great execution.
  4. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    John - Thanks for sharing this toe tapper and thanks for the lesson on melodic triplet runs. I am currently working on “Pretty Maggie Morrissey,” (Hornpipe, O’Neill’s 1707) a tune that I thought had a lot of triplets. I can see that I need to slow down and practice toward a smooth flow like you demonstrated. Thanks for the lesson. The checks in the mail.
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I like the moment the TG joins in - both instruments together produce a very distinguished elegance (I picture Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers).