J.S. Bach, Invention #1 in C major (BWV 772)

1. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Here's an attempt at one of Bach's two-part inventions with the right-hand part performed on the mandolin and the left-hand part on (digital) piano.

http://soundcloud.com/brent-hutto/ba...n-1-in-c-major

In preparing this version I was trying for a marcato or even staccato articulation, especially on the eighth notes. I think a certain bit of that is expected when performing these Inventions and Sinfonias on keyboard instruments so my teacher suggested trying to get some of that into my mandolin version.

I don't know if that is an idea that just didn't work out or if it's my choppy execution that doomed it but after listening to the recording I'd be happier using a more legato approach on my next try. The sixteenth notes, throughout, are not especially connected but far from staccato and I think just a hint of separation on the eighth notes to match would be best.

The digital piano sound comes from my new Roland MIDI keyboard (48 keys) and the Garritan "Authorized Steinway" standalone piano software. I did not capture this as a MIDI file but rather recorded a WAV file of the piano part with the Garritan software, imported it into Reaper and then played the mandolin track while listening to the piano in headphones.
  2. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Brent.
  3. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Interesting - that midi piano really sounds like my late father's real Steinway. This piece once more shows that the Baroque was an altogether mandolin-friendly age.
    Well-played, and it could do with some more reverb (which can't be a technical problem in the presence of a perfectly fake Steinway ) - Baroque always sounds better played in a church.
  4. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I'd have to hear the legato approach you're invisioning, but to me, that one sounded smooth and just right for that style. Very nice.
  5. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Thanks, everyone. I'm really enjoying these keyboard works. Just wish I could handle all of the interesting ones...oh who am I kidding, they're all interesting.

Invention #1 with Reverb

Bertram,

As you wish. Here's some digital convolution reverb added to the track. I originally tried it with an "impulse" file from an actual large church but it was just overwhelming, reminded me of organ music at the Canterbury Cathedral (worth a visit if you're ever in England by the way). So I picked one that's a little more restrained. For some reason the reverb just loves the mandolin and tends to bring it to the fore, I had to add about 4dB of piano to restore the balance.
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    Brent, that's exactly what I had in mind
    I have been to Canterbury cathedral, and yes, it is worth more than one visit
  7. Toycona
    Toycona
    Brent, That's so great!! One of things I love most about SAW is that people like you are constantly reaching higher. Very cool!!!
  8. Tavy
    Tavy
    I really liked that - I think the combination of mandolin and keyboard go very well together. Being picky, I think you could be a bit more legato on the mandolin: it's a staccato enough instrument as it is, so unless you're doing a "bom bom" at the end of hornpipe, legato is usually the way to go
  9. Werner Jaekel
    Werner Jaekel
    Brent,

Also nice : Quantz has written some nice menuetts . 3 of them are transscibed for the mando and available on the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Joachim_Quantz

I thought that might interest you
  10. Brent Hutto
    Brent Hutto
    Ja'hé,

I can recall hearing a few Quantz pieces played on classical guitar but am not all that familiar with his work. Thanks for the suggestion.

Marcelyn and Tavy,

So mixed reactions to the articulation question. For my part I'd say "mixed" is how I feel about it. Later this week my teacher will have listened to the recording and I expect to discuss it further.

I'm just starting on the Invention #2 in C-minor (ye gods, all those flats make me crazy!!!) and it seems to me definitely needing a connected or legato approach. So if I can get my fingers working on that one I'll record both the piano and mandolin parts with more like my normal articulation.

Toycona,

Thanks for that, truly.