March Of The Cameron Men

1. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    This is a Scottish pipe tune -- the signature tune of Clan Cameron -- for which there are loads of big-sound noisy pipe band recordings on Youtube (for example here by the Queen's Own Highlanders). I've come across the ABC of the tune at (of course) Nigel Gatherer's site and found it's a real fun tune on mandolin. Doesn't sound quite as frightening, too. Nigel says it was written by one Mary M Campbell.

X:087
    T:The March of the Cameron Men
    C:Words and Melody by Mary M Campbell
    B:Two Hundred and Twenty Popular Scottish Songs
    Z:Nigel Gatherer
    M:6/8
    L:1/8
    K:D
    F>G|A>FA d>Af|f>ed d>cB|A>GF FED|E3-E2 F/G/|A>FA d>Af|e>dc d>cB|
    A>FD E>FE|D4 || F>G|A2 D D2 D|EDE FDB|A>GF FED|E3-E2 A,|
    D>DD AAA|dAF D2 A/A/|d>cd e>de|f3-f2 d/c/|B3-B2 c/d/|A3-A2 d/c/|
    d>AF E>FE|D3-D2|]

Martin
  2. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    The Mccalmans did a fantastic version on their LP "Burn the Witch" from 1978. I love that song, I saw them live that year in Holland when I was A kid. Hamish Bayne (now concertinamaker) played the mandolin. Brilliant performance. You play it with a different timing, but I like the way you make it sound. Nice mandolin that Mid-Mo....
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Martin, a well-played version which reminded me of this lovely tune. As a wee boy many years ago I knew it well as my maternal granny was a Cameron of Locheil, born and brought up in Sheilbridge, Acharacle, and she used to sing this to me. You got me quite nostalgic and I just had to get a version done.

I have used my tenor guitar and mandolin and the photos were taken on Saturday up at Arrochar on Loch Long, showing one of our best-known mountains, Ben Arthur (known locally as The Cobbler!)

4. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    http://members.home.nl/h.luurtsema/G...eron%20Men.mp3

I hope the McCalmans won't mind I put a link to their mp3 here. Enjoy!
  5. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    John. Is it your fine instruments or your nice playing that makes such lovely music.
    I think both.
    Gary
  6. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This is a stirring song indeed, thanks for unearthing it Martin. Thanks for the McCalmans mp3, luurtie, I also have seen them in concert and their voices just blow you away - in fact we did a cover version of another one of their songs once.
    There is everything of its spirit in your rendition John, and your pictures remind me of the perfectly understandable Scottish passion of prolonged marches over mountains; I once had no problem of doing 15 miles a day myself (with the right shoes, that is), maybe I try it out next summer when I plan to visit Scotland again.
  7. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Thanks for the comments, and thanks for that lovely tenor guitar/mandolin recording, John: I particularly like those hammer-ons that you've thrown in; they're very effective. Thanks also to luurtie for the McCalmans version, which I had not heard before. You're right, the rhythm is slightly different when played as a song, but I do really like it as an instrumental as it's a really interesting tune. Fun to play, too.

Martin