Old Beech Leaves

1. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Thought I would share this one with the group. There isn't a lot of reference material to be found on it, but man is it ever fun to play.
  2. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Good one guys. What a fun tune. Steve, can you tell me the fingering for that kick off?
  3. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nice little ditty Steve. Don't suppose you have ABC for it?
  4. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Unfortunately I don't, Martin or I would definitely share. I don't know much about music theory, sadly. Always meant to get around to learning that sort of thing, but have just never committed to it. One of these days....

Marcelyn, did you mean the taters? I was using a G doublestop, E string 3rd fret and A string fifth fret.
  5. Barefoot Bud
    Barefoot Bud
    Sounds great, Steve!
  6. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    Thanks, I knew that sounded a little different from the way I'd started off songs in G, basically just the double stop one string down. The variety will be fun.
  7. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great stuff as always Steve!
  8. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    That's a real cool tune, Steve and Dawn. Sounds like it's got some crookedness...5 beats instead of four for the last of the A part, right? The Snake is sounded great!
  9. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    Thanks everyone, this one just stuck in my ear all morning. One of those times when I wished I had a mandolin at the office. Rob, I think it is square, it might just be my lingering too long. The Haints have a video out on YouTube of it and she surely does a beautiful job on fiddle on it. Speaking of, I picked up Pharis and Jason Romero's duo disc out on band camp and it is ridiculous good. Very soulful singing and picking--makes me green with envy. Just throwing that out there for the interested.
  10. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Well, it sounds good with the "linger," Steve! Is that Jason Romero the banjo maker? He used to live in these parts, I take it.
  11. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    That's the same guy, Rob. He picks banjo for the Haints but mostly plays a steel National on that duo disc, but really has a way with it.
  12. mikeyes
    mikeyes
    The Haints play a lot of variations to this tune (as they should), here are a few in ABC form.

X: 57
    T:Old Beech Leaves
    M:C|
    L:1/8
    Q:200
    S:Transcribed from The Haints
    R:reel
    Z:
    K:G
    ||: GABd g2g2 | fgag fd3 | edef gage | dedc B G3|
    | GABd g2g2 | fgag fd3 | edef gedc | BGAc B G3:||
    ||: D3G B2B2 | ABAG A E3 | GFGA Bcde | dcBA B G3 |
    | D3G B2B2 | ABAG A E3 | GABc d2 de | dcBA B G3:||

13. Steve Cantrell
    Steve Cantrell
    I liked this one specifically since she is using more of the bow and has less of a Canadian fiddle ring to it. It has more of the long-bow, smooth Missouri/Ozark style of fiddling involved, which for my money beats any of the hybrid Kentucky/North Carolina sounds that have become so common-place as to almost characterize Old Time fiddling as a genre. Makes a sweet sound.
  14. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Steve, That's so funny I remember seeing him when he used to play with the local old time band, Striped Pig String Band. I didn't know his name though, so it's nice to put the face to the name. Looks like he makes some ridiculously nice banjos these days!
  15. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Ok so this one was actually requested of me!

Someone was saying they’d had enough of the snow, wanted more greenery.
    Well here it is.
    It’s the first 400 metres of my occasional running route with a view of the hills up to the left, PLUS, a short clip of the path through the beech forest later on up in those hills.

16. Ginny Aitchison
    Ginny Aitchison
    This, I think is one of my favourites that you have done. Thanks Simon. I saw a path with a fork to the left or the right...which one did you take?
  17. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    I turn left there, it climbs quite steeply for about 400 feet to one of the little peaks. Right takes you around and down a bit for about a mile to a pass in the hills. The sun was setting so I had to get to the peak quickly.
  18. Bad Habbits
    Bad Habbits
    Great tune Simon - and really nice tone. Also lovely scenery there, I especially like the Beech forest - is that the current conditions there? Here in Ohio the trees are just starting to bud.
    Thanks for posting.
  19. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Nice one, Simon. Keep them coming. See the capo has reached the 7th fret now!
  20. Frithjof
    Frithjof
    Brisk pace, Simon! I guess you could run for hours with this song in your mind’s ear. Nice running track through the beech forest.
    I observed in your recording that the old beech leaves gathered only on one side of the path…
  21. Simon DS
    Simon DS
    Thanks fellow SAW groupies!
    I’m cookin’!
    Apples, apples and apples...
    Yes the trees are as they were three days ago, nice now, though in a short while the forest floor will be quite dark. The weather now is amazing! Little air pollution and deep, dark blue skies and 24 Centigrade tomorrow.
    Yes the capo keeps getting higher, you guys make me laugh! I was thinking of a design for a capo at the 12th fret, and how that would sound -pretty darn cool! Ha, ha.
    With the capo at the seventh though, in the key of G, I play all notes one string towards the sky, so it has the same fingering as a mando, but different sound. I like the high tension bounce on the pick that I would get it if it was a mandolin.
    And Frithjof, that’s the down hill side for the leaves? Because the rain water washes down hill? The only other idea I had is that there’s a cold katabatic breeze in the evenings, maybe that would produce some sort of differential effect?