Week #137 ~ The Frost is All Over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    This week's winner is an Irish Trad jig, The Frost is All Over.

Here it is on thesession.org

Here is the ABC from that site:

X: 1
    T: Frost Is All Over, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    ~d3 edc|dAF GFE|DFA dFA|Bcd efg|
    fed edc|dAF GFE|DFA dFA|B2c d3:|
    |:~f3 ~a3|~g3 bag|f2a afd|1 ~g3 efg|
    fef afd|~g3 bag|fga efg|fdc d3:|
    2 ~g3 e2g|fga efg|fdB AFA|Bcd ece|fd/e/f gfe||

Here is a link to a slightly different transcription.

And another slightly different transcription
  2. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    I think I'll sit this one out due to an inability to play jigs, but look forward to seeing others doing this and hopefully it'll inspire me to work more on them.
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    There's a line missing in that ABC at the end...

Here's the Planxty version:

4. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Eddie, they just forgot to add the "|2" in the second ending of the B part.

X: 1
    T: Frost Is All Over, The
    M: 6/8
    L: 1/8
    R: jig
    K: Dmaj
    ~d3 edc|dAF GFE|DFA dFA|Bcd efg|
    fed edc|dAF GFE|DFA dFA|B2c d3:|
    |:~f3 ~a3|~g3 bag|f2a afd|1 ~g3 efg|
    fef afd|~g3 bag|fga efg|fdc d3:|
    |2 ~g3 e2g|fga efg|fdB AFA|Bcd ece|fd/e/f gfe||
  5. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    How do you guys play the Tilde ~ sign over the 3 eigths notes in the above ABC version? Tremolo or five-note roll?
  6. Eddie Sheehy
    I play a quarter note and a triplet or a triplet and a quarter note or two triplets, or a slur/triplet, or...
  7. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks, Eddie, for sharing some of the tools in your arsenal
    Just wondered whether the Tilde had a fixed meaning in IT.
  8. Eddie Sheehy
    As far as I can see it appears to recommend a Triplet for a quarter-note and a note followed or preceded by a triplet for a dotted quarter note (for which I sometimes play a double-triplet or a slur into a triplet)... that's the best I know how to explain it...
  9. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Here we go:

10. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Fortuitous choice this week, Barbara, as we had a good but brief snowfall here just before our big Scottish Hurricane! Did a quick recording and a run round the garden to get some pictures to suit the title.

Richard, this one is for you with my best wishes in the coming weeks.

11. Eddie Sheehy
    I guess you guys just dropped the Second ending of the B part and it hasn't suffered for it... I'm going for a by-ear interpretation of the Planxty version.
  12. Mike O'Connell
    Mike O'Connell
    Manfred, John - Very nice indeed. Manfred, you are putting a lot notes in a very short space of time. I don't how you do it, but it sounds great. John, your pictures are super. Makes you want to toss another log on the fire. Thanks to both of you for setting the standard. (I shouldn't tell you this - This afternoon I put the Christmas lights along the eaves of our house. No hat, no gloves, short sleeve t-shirt. Temps in the mid 60's.)
  13. Eddie Sheehy
    BTW, the title isn't describing frost all over the place but rather the end of the frost season: the praties (potatoes) are dug and the frost is all over (finished, gone)... also known as Slan le Sioc (goodbye frost). Great tunes lads and cool pix John (pun intended)...
  14. Eddie Sheehy
    Nice one David. This is what I hear from the Planxty recording...

15. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    great versions lads - I must try to record a version if I get a free moment next week.
  16. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    I thought The Frost is all Over and Kitty Lie Over were the same tune...
  17. Eddie Sheehy
    The Praties are Dug and the Frost is All Over, Kitty Lie Over Close to the Wall... you could also call it What Would You Do If The Kettle Boiled Over? Think CUNLA vs The Frieze Britches... It's probably just as well that most ITM tunes don't have lyrics - they sure have enough titles already... Still it's a great oul' toetapper...
  18. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    of all the times for my new computer to NOT have a webcam... I gotta get one! I've been rocking this tune for a while now :D
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Kyle, you need to remedy that situation (no camera)... how about your cell phone?
  20. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I can record just audio... that's about it, and it being too close to christmas I'm afraid to buy myself a camera in case someone else has already thought of doing that for me. My cell phone is old... highly unlikely it can get any decent kind of video at all.

And as for the argument about what tune is what...
    The lyrics go:
    What would you do if the kettle boiled over,
    what would you do, just fill it again,
    what would you do if the cat ate the clover,
    what would you do just set it again.

The praties are dug and the frost is all over,
    kitty lie over close to the wall,
    how would you like to be married to a soldier,
    kitty lie over close to the wall.

So, the lyrics have kitty lie over and frost is all over in the same verse.. wierd no?
    And check this out... 2 different tunes that are like the first part in the way planxty plays it, or even Danu plays it this way on their latest album.
    The Kilfenora http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/948
    Young Tim Murphey http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/4322

That's all I've got to say about that
  21. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    i had intended to try and record the well known set with this jig sandwiched between the hare in the corn and gander in the pratie field but after a few failed attempts had to content myself with this short effort from a sunny but frosty Belfast morning. will have another crack at the set later.

22. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    So many great versions from all! Interesting how the interpretation of the tune and even its history can be open to so many slight variations. Eddie, as far as the ending goes, I was working from my copy of O'Neill's 1001 Tunes and there the last bar of the B part has the Segno sign taking you back to the start of the A part. Thanks too for the link to that Planxty performance.
  23. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    The frost is all over (mostly) and it's the rainy season here in Southern California. My wife said that this is such a happy tune and I agree. I just makes you want to get up and dance. I've played it on a Kentucky KM600 mandolin with backup from a Simon & Patrick guitar tuned DADGAD. This version is based on the fiddle of Rose Murphy from her album entitled Milltown Lass.

24. Hendrik Luurtsema
    Hendrik Luurtsema
    Nice work michael.
  25. billkilpatrick
    eddie - re: the planxty video - any idea what that "thing" is on the fiddle's strings below the bridge (0:14 - 0:28)?
  26. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Superb offering again, Michael. Love the final video clip of the wee boy with the leaves!
    Bill, as a non-fiddler I am hazarding a guess that the item on the fiddle is either some sort of mute (but seems only to be on the A and D strings) or maybe a very small condenser mic? Correct answers on a postcard, please, to....
  27. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    billkilpatrick: it looks like a some sort of mute for the A and D strings. It could be homemade... it's hard to tell from the video.
  28. Chris Hasty
    Chris Hasty
    Bill, It's a mute. When you want to use it you just slide it up onto the bridge and it mutes all the strings by dampening the bridge. It is a fairly common old design. I have an old German fiddle (which I can't play) that has the exact same mute on it. It makes by terrible playing much quieter.
  29. laura809
    laura809
    Here is my basic version, combined with Praries are Dug. I got the notation from www.traditionalmusic.co.uk and made up my own chords for accompaniment. I didn't attempt the triplets that many of you have thrown in, but I have certainly enjoyed hearing them. John, I enjoyed the snowy images in your video. Eddie, I am curious what the instrument you are playing is. I noticed it last week too. Michael, I enjoyed how you brought your own unique voice to this tune.
  30. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Good tune for a cold week here in Colorado. Don't know what I will do with myself now that I have recorded this and it's only Wednesday; guess I'll go out for a ski with the wife and pup!
  31. neil argonaut
    neil argonaut
    Been enjoying all the versions here so much I ended up just going ahead and trying it;

32. Jill McAuley
    Jill McAuley
    nice one Neil, well played!
  33. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another three super versions, Laura, Aaron and Neil.
  34. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    Great work, y'all! Infectious little tune!
  35. maudlin mandolin
    maudlin mandolin
    Finally got around to doing this one.

36. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    Not sure why I'm getting these popping sounds in some of my videos...
    Anywho, I play it the planxty way... My B part isnt what everyone else is doing, but this is how I've always known it.

37. GKWilson
    GKWilson
    Very nice Kyle. Glad you back and posting.
    Love to listen to your great sound and style.
    Gary
  38. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    thanks, happy to be back, and the wife and kids have left me to some peace and quiet
  39. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Another two fine efforts there, mm and Kyle. Great sound from that instrument, Kyle.
  40. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Ok, playing catchup in this group and couldn't help adding to this SAW with my (abridged) take on the Hare in the corn, Frost is all over, Gander in the pratie hole set. I usually play each through x2 in an AABB.

Still having video problems where it gets a bit jerky and loses sync, but it's the best I can do at the minute.

41. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Just over 6 months later with my new mandolin on the 'Cafe' and I thought I would rerecord this set of tunes to see how I am progressing. Still lots of mistakes, but I think my right hand technique is more relaxed.

42. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great, Peddyr, a really big improvement and your tone has really grown as you've eased up with the right hand. What's up with Mr Left Hand Pinky - is there a problem with that finger?
  43. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    Thansk OS. That left hand pinky is lazy and weak...especially when a b note is required....

Are you going to make me use it? I have survived without if for this long

If I must use it any hints and tips are appreciated.
  44. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    I use my pinky on very rare occasions only (on playing an OM, mind you), so I am not the one who says you can't do without. If Donald Duck can live with 3 fingers, why shouldn't we. Plus, in case of a bandsaw accident, we don't have to re-learn everything
  45. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, I'm not going to make anyone do anything, but you know, consider that if you were planning to spend a lot of time running, would you start by deciding not to use one of your legs? I know of some great players who only play with three fingers, but I don't know of any who don't regret it.

The advantages are that you'll be able to play faster, with more ease and fluidity in open positions, and you'll also be able to master up-the-neck positions with much less trouble and without a lot of position-shifting that will limit what you'll be able to play.

There are a couple of approaches to getting it working. One is to practice a lot of tunes you already know well with three fingers, and to play them without the index finger, forcing you to work the pink. This is also helpful should you ever have the bandsaw accident Bertram describes, but it takes out the wrong finger.

The other is to do sets of exercises where you just work on playing pairs of notes with each of the other fingers - index and pinky, middle and pinky, ring and pinky, and using all of the possible fret-spacing combinations. If you keep the exercises musical sounding, they will be that much more fun - I can do a demo if needed. You seem to learn very fast, I doubt if it would take you more than a couple of months to get the point where you start using it regularly in tunes. You really play very well, and ultimately this will make it easier and much more enjoyable.

Of course, the fact that you already play well may make it frustrating at first, but as my mother-in-law likes to say, suck it up!
  46. justkaron
    justkaron
    I would love to see a demonstration of exercises to learn to use the pinky! As a newbie it would be great to have this.

IF you work a demo up...perhaps you could post it over in NewbieLand also?
    OR...I could copy the video and take it over there for our group.
  47. peddyrmac
    peddyrmac
    OS, your mother in law is badass!

I will promise to start trying to flex that pinky, but I can't promise to start any flagrant use of it in many tunes. Maybe I will try to incorporate it into some new tunes. That will be easier than relearning perhaps!

The pinky is much easier on the tenor by the way...
  48. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, don't worry Peddyr, I promise neither I nor my mother-in-law will be policing your videos.

Karon, I'm always a little reluctant to post anything that looks like an instruction video, just because I'm no expert or teacher so I don't really know what I'm doing, plus it goes on YouTube so you never know what people will make of it and I don't think my technique is really exemplary, I have all sorts of problems that I'm still working on. But anyway, here are some very basic pinkie exercises, I'm sure you can figure out some more once you've seen them. The idea is just to play fragments of scales on each string that use the pinkie.

The first exercise is just running the scale up and down - I do a major and minor version just to make it interesting and to work on the two different gaps there can be between the third and fourth finger.

The second exercise uses the pinkie in conjunction with all of the different fingers in all of the different positions that can occur in a real playing situation.

Both of the exercises can be tricky - you can see I haven't done the second in a while and I'm faltering a bit. They can also be very hard on your fingers, so really do them in moderation, just a few repeats a day. Absolutely do not sit and run them over and over again for more than 5 or 10 minutes. If either of them are too much of a stretch, play them a few frets higher up the neck.

While you're doing them, the main thing you should think about is the stresses on ALL of the fingers. Making the pinkie work is really about making the other fingers co-operate with the pinkie too. Try to make these as easy as possible to do, press as lightly as you possibly can to fret the note. At the same time, try to make it all sound as even and clean as possible. Play as slowly as you need to to make it clean and easy. Do not try to build up speed on these. If it hurts at all stop immediately and do something else. People who haven't done much pinkie work will find them both challenging, and the second one probably very difficult, so don't feel bad if it doesn't come easy. Softly softly catchee monkey.

I hope you've read all the small print, here's the video:

49. justkaron
    justkaron
    Thanks so much David! I'll get on those tomorrow morning....being a morning person I'll need to approach this when I have my mojo. LOL. I'm sure the second one is beyond me at this point. I'll find out about the first one.
    I DID read the small print.

(early next morning)...of course I can't do these exercies yet. I'll keep workin' on it though. Sorry to highjack the thread with this. Truly! Thanks again, David.
  50. dustyamps
    dustyamps
    The Frost Is All Over from O'Neill's Dance Music of Ireland
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast