Weber Design Change

1. Matt
    Matt
    Hi All, Question, I own a great 2001 Bridger A model. I know that somewhere in the subsequent years that changes were made to the appearance of more recent model Bridgers. Does anyone know when this transition occurred? Thanks for your responses!
  2. Bob Clark
    Bob Clark
    Hi Matt,

I don't know the answer to your question, but I know who does. The great folks at Sound to Earth (Weber) are more than willing to discuss mandolins over the phone. If you have not yet had the pleasure, give them a call. They are the experts on these instruments and are also really nice people (an unbeatable combination).

Best wishes, Bob
  3. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    Bruce changed the Bridger A mandolin from an integrated fingerboard to an extension block (celtic carving stayed the same) year before last.
  4. Matt
    Matt
    Hi again, Thank you for the replies. Nice expert information. Brings to mind another question. I also own a '07 Bridger F model and noticed the item is no longer listed. Is the replacement the Vintage F and if so what changes were made? I see the use of old woods, anything else? Thanks in advance!
  5. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    The CVF has the regular/traditional F Style carving and extension block but the 'old timey' look that remains popular- and as the old wood supply is getting lower felt this was a good model to make it standard while it lasts. The Bridger F has the same celtic carving as the Bridger A and has been built with the integrated fingerboard (we would build it with ext. block if somebody ordered it that way). Bruce discontinued the Bridger F simply because we were not getting very many orders and he was streamlining the lines in 2010- however we will build one if somebody orders it. I will go into my little speech now : ) The Bridger Octaves and Mandocellos are very well loved (esp by studio musicians), however I am always surprised that the more mandolin-heavy dealers do not often carry the Bridger Mandolins- or even the octave for that matter. It seems to me that a store that has a full line of all different brands of 'regular' mandolins would want to carry a totally different instrument that appeals to many different musicians who play many different genres of music- they have a wide tone range with a lot of volume. I guess I could say the same about stores not carrying many mandolas, etc. too though, right? But, most music stores are pretty small and can only stock so many mandos...
  6. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    I should add that Mandolin Brothers, Staten Island NY has carried them for many years.
  7. Matt
    Matt
    Thanks again for the information. I like the versatile sound of either Bridger model especially for Mandolin Blues!
  8. MONami
    MONami
    More on the Bridger A...I see some older models with a "D" hole, but on Weber's site it shows an oval.
    So, are there options, and what is the sonic difference between the two hole shapes?
  9. Mary Weber
    Mary Weber
    You caught us. After the model change there was some confusion in the shop on which was now 'standard' on the Bridger A Mandolin- D Hole or Oval Hole. We customize so much that sometimes such things get...elusive. The instrument we caught a picture of for the website had an oval hole, and many order them this way even though the larger Bridgers still have the D hole as standard, so...we'll just say it was fate.
    Bruce came up with the D hole design for broader projection and rounder sound which couldn't be captured in just making the oval hole larger. As I mentioned many people like the sound and looks of the oval hole, however.