Fair price for used Big Muddy

1. mooma
    mooma
    Hello! i would love some advice regarding a purchase of:
    Big Muddy Mandolin Co. M-2 Mandolin Excellent Condition In Case (looks like a gig bag, not a hard case, in photo)

It is at a pawn shop, and they are asking $450 for it. I've never even been to a pawn shop---is it okay to dicker on price?? If so, what would YOU offer?

I've been reading all of the wonderful reviews, here, about the Big Muddy, and am hoping the instrument hasn't been sold by the time I get there tomorrow.

I'd appreciate ANY help or advice!

Thank you!
    Mooma
  2. Japhy
    Japhy
    My new Big Muddy M11W should arrive today. I got it brand new for about $130 more. In my experience one usually can't get much of a deal at a pawn shop. I wouldn't hesitate to argue the price a bit. See if they'll throw in a hard case or something. I bought a junker just to learn chords and scales on while I shopped for my new one. It had a tag for $100 on it. I actually laughed out loud at it and offered him $35 and he took it. I bet he still made $20 on it! Good luck!
  3. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Used price should be about $375 (high), most used ones here on the classifieds go for $325-$350. Case or gig bag doesn't really affect the price. Offer $375, if they don't go for it call Mike Dulak @ Big Muddy and see what he'll charge to make one for you. It's been my experience that the prices on his web site aren't set in stone .
  4. mooma
    mooma
    OH, thank you, SO very much for taking the time to respond! Dave, I wish I'd seen yours before I left.
    Anyway, I ended up getting it----It is in excellent shape! Got it for $375---came with gig bag and cool leather strap.
    I absolutely LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOW I get what you all were talking about---what a pretty sound it makes!!!!!!!! It is much easier to sing with than my other mandolin...it had more of a tinny sound.
    I feel so blessed to own it.
  5. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    We few, we fortunate few. Not all can appreciate the simple beauty and the lovely sound...
  6. Japhy
    Japhy
    Congrats Mooma! Now take a pic and upload your new avatar. I received my new Big Muddy yesterday. Like a kid on Christmas morning I was!
  7. mooma
    mooma
    Haha! It's a regular Big Muddy love-fest, here! Awesome! I'll try and figure out how to upload photos......
  8. multidon
    multidon
    To answer the question about pawn shops, most do expect you to dicker as you fortunately found out. I got my M-2 used in almost mint shape with a hard case for 400, so you payed about right.
  9. mooma
    mooma
    Whew! thanks for that----makes me feel even more blessed!
  10. 8ch(pl)
    8ch(pl)
    I always say about $350. that seems to be what they go for despite the model. I bought my M-4 in 2000 for $355 and my M-1 a couple of years ago for $300. You did well.