New (and happy) MW 0 Owner

1. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Purchased a new MW 0 from Dusty Strings a few days ago. It boiled down to either it or the all mahogany one. I went this route because well I guess I liked it a bit better. I have two more expensive mandos, but this one is just plain fun to play. I think (correct me if I'm wrong in this), but isn't that what its all about-having fun? Anyway not a bluegrass instrument but great for folky stuff and picking out OT tunes.
  2. billkilpatrick
    well done - long life to you both. i've got 2 of mike's mandolins (m-0 and m-4.) if i don't play them for a while, they always sound so good when i do. also, i think they look just right - really clean lines, beautifully proportioned - great instruments.
  3. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Hey Mike, welcome to the group and what just might be the best kept secret in the mando world...
    I was at a festival a couple of years ago, playing my Big Muddy and this older gentleman (I know that he's an accomplished mandolin player) walks up to me and starts asking about my mandolin. Now, I know that he owns at least 1 Ellis and a Brock so I tell him about Mike, made in America etc. and I hand him the mandolin so that he can teach it a few tunes . He sat there and played scales up and down the neck and a few tunes and looked up at me and said, "this thing is just fun to play" followed by "how much did you pay for it?". He sat there for about an hour, playing and giving me tips. When he finally handed it back he said "hang on to that one, I've spent an awful lot of money trying to find a mandolin that plays that easily and sounds that good"...

Dave
  4. billkilpatrick
    ha! - great story, dave
  5. Mike Scott
    Mike Scott
    Two + weeks in and it just puts a smile on my face when I play it. Bought it for travel when I am on my consulting gigs and it is perfect for that nice and light and not overbearingly loud when played in the motel room. You're right about the "best kept secret" thing. I never would have guessed!
  6. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
  7. Dave Weiss
    Dave Weiss
    Well, my Eastman will be on it's way to it's new home shortly. A nice mando, just not for me... Anyway I've contacted Mike about making me a MW-0 with a cedar top. Stay tuned...

>>>===> Dave