Week #5 ~ Over the Waterfall ~ REVISTED

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    You need a firewire cable to download video from a camcorder to iMovie. USB will not do the job. I'm not sure about your camcorder but your camcorder should have a firewire output. (It's a funny little rectangular shaped connection on the camera...different than the USB output camera connection, I believe.) Yeah, the card reader will work, too.
  2. Susanne
    Susanne
    Thanks Joe! But I do not need a firewire! The card reader works just fine
  3. Joe Nobiling
    Joe Nobiling
    Play on, Lassie! Lookin' forward to your future postings!
  4. KyleBerry
    KyleBerry
    Messing around with this tune today on guitar. Just started playing guitar about two weeks ago.

5. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Resophonic-noodle-version:

6. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    A Resophonic Tenor! WHAAAATT!? That was KILLA'! Nice!
  7. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, wonderful stuff Michael. I didn't even know such a thing existed, and now I want one...
  8. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ooohhhh I like!
  9. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Thanks all together for your kindness. Iīm glad that you like it.
    This is one of my favorite instruments. Though itīs somewhat special itīs also very versatile. And it saves me from playing the banjo at the irish sessions.
    I really like this tune and it seems to have very positive vibes, because people are always intrigued by it when we play it at the sessions.
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Hi Michael, can you tell me what's the scale length on your tenor guitar, and who's the maker?
  11. Michael Wolf
    Michael Wolf
    Yes, of course. Itīs a 23" sclae length and it was made by Patrick Arbuthnot from Norfolk in England. He doesnīt have a website. But thereīs a dealer in Norwich who has some of his instruments on his site from time to time: vintageguitar.co.uk
    Patrick is a very friendly person and makes some of the best resos that I know of. Our own Dan Beimborn from this site here is playing two of his instruments and once sold his National in favor for the Chanticleer. There was a thread about them: Chanticleer Tenors
    There you can also see one of the tenors built by Andreas Köpke who ordered some bodies from Patrick after seeing mine and then made the necks by himself. This one is owned by the bodhran player of my band. Thatīs fun because we can make reso-tenor-duetts (what we donīt do very often out of consideration for the other group members).
  12. KeithMcIsaac
    KeithMcIsaac
    Nice playing and a nifty instrument Michael.
  13. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    That's great, thanks for the info Michael.
  14. Tony Avitua
    Tony Avitua
    Well, I finally decided to try videotaping myself and sharing with you. It was a really tough thing to do, since I just started learning to play my mandolin in December 2009. I am not breaking any speed records, but I am focusing on playing as cleanly as I can. I figure speed will come with time. Here goes...

15. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Great job Tony, good steady rhythm and no flying fingers, looks like you are doing things the right way.
  16. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    That's the way to go, Tony. VERY clean indeed, and great sounding instrument, too.
  17. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Speed will come. As long as you learn to play a tune, cleanly, with the right rhythm, you'll find that one day you'll think, I wonder if I can play this faster, and try, and viola... you can!
  18. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Viola?
  19. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Ok, Voila!
  20. Eddie Sheehy
    Mandola!
  21. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    LOL! Viola! ROFL!! Oh, that got my funny bone.
  22. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Still trying to catch up.
    I am practicing the Mississippi Waltz, but in between I practiced and recorded this pretty tune to get some change.

23. Rob Fowler
    Rob Fowler
    Sounds great, Manfred! Nice and solid!
  24. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    You've really nailed it, Manfred. Lots of fun ornamentation. I'm going to start working on this one.
  25. jamann
    jamann
    Manfred, I agree with Marcelyn. You really nailed it. I enjoyed that. Thanks!
  26. Manfred Hacker
    Manfred Hacker
    Thanks for your kind words, Marcelyn, Rob and John.
  27. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Yes, nice work Manfred, you always find interesting arrangements.
  28. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I listened through week 5's entire thread as it made its way back to the top. Hats off to the familiar faces who've stuck with learning a song a week all the way to now.

I'm still working on a break incorporating the tab Manfred graciously passed along, but for now, twice through in two octaves was about my limit. Here's what I've got so far for Over the Waterfall played on a Gibson A.

29. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I listened through week 5's entire thread as it made its way back to the top this week. Hats off to the familiar faces who've stuck with learning a song a week all the way to now.

I'm still working on a break incorporating the tab Manfred graciously passed along, but for now, twice through in two octaves was about my limit. Here's what I've got so far for Over the Waterfall played on a Gibson A.

30. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Marcelyn, you're really starting to pick very well indeed, and I love the way you played that. So now it is time for you to heed the words of the great Mike:

31. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    I like that guy! The internet is definitely saving me a few bucks when it comes to mandolin lessons. Now I'll get down to watching this a few dozen times until it sinks in.
  32. harrywhohaa
    harrywhohaa
    Marcelyn, That had a great feel to it, really listenable

OS, some very good tips their from Mr Marshall. Sometimes the angle up of the Mandolin doesn't work well for me though, it gives me a diagonal rather than perpendicular attack on the strings (I notice though this is not the case for MM) which means not so great tone and more difficult string transitions. Thanks for the link
  33. JimRichter
    JimRichter
    Thought I'd put this here. A version of Over the Waterfall I recorded a couple years ago (?).

34. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Love that tune. Here's my effort just the way I practice it. One time slow, then a medium tempo, then...O'er the Waterfall...

35. sgarrity
    sgarrity
    Here's this one on the mandola

36. Susanne
    Susanne
    That's a lovely version and lovely clean picking!!! I need to practice some mandolin when I finish my thesis. I really want that smooth clean tone!!!!

I have recorded this tune before but it's gone now after my messing about with You Tube channels so here's a new one. Rather sloppy in my opinion but I can always excuse myself by saying that it's done at 8 am after 10 hours of hard work at a hospital ward that all of a sudden turned into a dementia unit

37. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Both lovely versions. I really like this tune. Susi, was it a patient or YOU showing signs of dementia?

Here's a version I posted on YT almost two years ago. I'd only been playing a few months. This is on my first mando ~ an $85 Rogue A I got to see whether I might be able to play mando. Backing chords are on mountain dulcimer. I guess I should probably re-record this one now.

38. Susanne
    Susanne
    Martin, that's lovely!! You make me think of my mountain dulcimer that got lost in a bohemian friend's life...(she is too disorganized to remember to bring it when we are supposed to meet) I hope to get it back.. eventually.
    LOL, that's say it like this. Only a minority of our 28 patients last night did NOT have dementia!!!
  39. Jim Baker
    Jim Baker
    X:1
    T:Over the Waterfall
    C:Traditional - Beginner version
    L:1/8
    Q:420
    M:4/4
    K:D
    z6 de |: "D"f2 a2 gf ec | de dB A2 de | fa gf eg fe | cd [fd][fd] [f2d2] de | f2 a2 (3fgf eg | \
    fe dB A2 AB | "C"[e2=c2] [e2c2] [ec]B AF |1 G2 [BG][BG] [B2G2] de :|2 G2 GG G2 FG | \
    |: "D"AF DF BG DG | AB AG FE DF | A2 dB "A"cd ec | "D"dA FA D2 FG | A2 D2 "C"(3ABA GB | \
    "D"AB AG FE D[AE] | [A2F2] [A2F2] [AE][AD] [D2B,2] |1 [DG,]"D"[DA,] [DA,][DB,] [D2A,2] FG :|2 [A2D2A,2] [ADA,][ADB,] [A4D4A,4] | \
    z8 | \
    W:Created with TablEdit http://www.tabledit.com/
  40. Ryan Zerby
    Ryan Zerby

Learned by ear from Dave Hansen's version.
  41. cjprince
    cjprince
    Nice job, Ryan. I heard this tune for the first time about a week ago and decided I wanted to learn it - and look! It pops up to the top of the SOTW board. It must be a sign.
  42. cjprince
    cjprince
    Ok - I've been working on this for about a week, so it's still a little shaky. Not quite up to the tempo I want, but I'm fairly happy with it so far.

43. Marcelyn
    Marcelyn
    That's a great version CJ. It sounded really nice with all the double stops and drones.
  44. Martin Whitehead
    Martin Whitehead
    Nicely done CJ. That's a fun tune to play, isn't it? You've done a nice job arranging it with the double stops 'n' such. Sounds good.
  45. cjprince
    cjprince
    Thanks, guys! I've been trying to figure out ways to fill out the sound when I'm playing & this tune lent itself really well to using the double stops, etc.
  46. Susanne
    Susanne
    Playing around with this tune again. Not a big difference from the last time I recorded it, just that I haven't played for a long time and wanted to record something simple. But, I still messed up a bit, lol. The start is really bad. Hope you all are well.

47. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Well, I never thought of this as a simple tune, for me anyway. Very sweet version, nicely played, and I love how you made your boo boo look like so much fun. What kind of mandolin is that ... electric?
  48. Loretta Callahan
    Loretta Callahan
    Please forgive me. I didn't mean to offend .... just couldn't see it very well; saw the red ... nice sound so figured you might at least have a pickup or something.
  49. Susanne
    Susanne
    I'm sorry if I expressed myself badly (not native English speaker)(and for the rest of you, the comment is deleted). I definitely wasn't offended. I know it's an unusual colour, and I didn't plan to get that colour, but I'm glad it turned out reddish, it's much nicer that way than the brown that I expected!
  50. peterangell
    peterangell
    My version for y'all
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast