hello all

1. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    Hello, new to the Tenor and the group, so thought a quick introduction was in order. Lawrence from Belfast, been besotted with the Tenor since several members of the SAW group have been posting videos with there's, i'm particularly taken with the Fletchers but they're a bit beyond my budget, so have commissioned one from local instrument builder and fellow Antrim man Alan Mayers ,21" scale, sika top, cherry back and sides, floating bridge and planetary tuners, works out a lot cheaper than shipping one over from the States, should have it around November, in the mean time i picked up a cheap Ozark,a great value wee instrument, stuck a bone nut and saddle on it and tuned GDAE, really enjoying playing it, nice for learning new tunes as playing slowly sounds so good.

http://www.alanmayers.com/

a snap of one of Alans Tenors, mine will be smaller bodied.

tailpiece we have in mind,

might just top it of off with a vega style headstock, star in all

hows does that sound ?

ATB
    Lawrence
  2. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Hi Lawrence and welcome, though our paths cross in other groups here, I have noticed! The tenor is indeed great fun to play and a change from the double courses - no need to worry that you are hitting both strings all the time!
    I have one of my octaves over in your part of the world, a fellow from Ballymoney, David Getty, has one I built for him and we keep in fairly regular touch via e-mail.
    Looking forward to hearing your instrument when it is ready, and yes, the Ozarks are grand wee instruments.
    By the way, what is that great-looking tailpiece in your photo? Is it a custom from Alan, or what?
  3. gortnamona
    gortnamona
    Thanks John. aye the tailpiece is a custom job from Alan, again mine would be a smaller version, i think it should look great on the tenor. always enjoy your video's John and am envious of the skill it takes to make an instrument

atb
    Lawrence
  4. Ed Goist
    Ed Goist
    Welcome to the group Lawrence!
    Congratulations on the Mayers Tenor! I look forward to seeing it when it's completed this Fall.
  5. Tyler Jackson
    Tyler Jackson
    Cool!! I like it