Joe Foley Bouzouki

1. fredrogers
    fredrogers
    Hello Guys,

I play the Bouzouki and have done for many years. I play a bouzouki made by Joe Foley (Dublin Luthier). I also have a Cittern and Mandola made by Joe. All Left handed.

Theyare the finest Instruments I have ever played.

FredRogers
  2. bouzoukiboy
    bouzoukiboy
    Hi Fredrogers.
    nice to hear from another "Bouzouki Brother". I played Eoin O'Neills older Foley ...years ago at a session in Ennis and was quite impressed. I found it quite similar in feel...to my Abnett. A good buddy of mine has an arsenal of zouks,mandos, banjos...etc. Among them is a Foley Citten that I have tried and really liked. I am not used to that extra course and it would take me a while to be comfortable with it...for sure.
    I had Stefan Sobell built me an OM ...which I kept for about 3 years..but actually did not care for the sound of(call me crazy). Anyway I sold it...for what I had originally paid for it( It would be worth 3 times that...today) and commissioned Peter Abnett to build me a bouzouki...which I am extremely pleased with. I have had a number of mandos mandolas OMS also over the years...usually built for me by luthiers...which is an expensive prospect....(or is it a disease??)
    As far as you bouzouki goes....Are you unison or Octave strings...what is your perferred tuning and musical style (type)..Thanks BB
  3. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    Hi Fred,

Post a picture or two or even better post a recording on youtube, telling us about your instrument and a tune to demonstrate its and your prowess.

Cheers

Nic
  4. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I now own a Joe Foley bouzouki thanks to that lovely and amazing nature's gentleman, Joe Foley, who I hope to visit one day in Ireland. It has a 25.5" scale length, down from his usual 26.5". Look forward to playing it.
  5. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I have received my Joe Foley and it is beyond my expectations in terms of workmanship, traditional looks, and the sound itself. Will keep you posted.