Capo use for Bouzouki

1. bouzoukiboy
    bouzoukiboy
    I am wondering how many of us use a capo (regularly) ...when we fly thru tune sets, in different keys.....at a session. I still use it very little ..The fact that I use mostly GDAD tuning...pretty much gives me a "moveable chord" when using a capo. I have experimented with a Kyser type capo, but am not good at moving it quickly, while in the middle of a set of tunes. I remember seeing some of my fav zouk players using those old cloth covered elastic band types........ just sitting it over the nut, when not in use, then quickly skiding it up to the desided fret for the key change. I found this whas really "hit or miss" and I would often end up with buzzing strings after sliding the capo. It is also very difficult to use a capo if you use "Octave strings" on your lower courses, as the thicker string takes the capo weight and the thinner string does not get fully depressed.
    Do you use a capo regularly on Bouzouki.? If so... to what success....and What type do you use ?

Thanks BB
  2. Nick Gellie
    Nick Gellie
    I am not a session person. Where I live it is hard to find a session - more likely to be bluegrass interestingly.

However, I use a capo to get a different chordal sound. I play Paul Brady's tune 'Over the wall' with my bouzouki capoed at the second fret. I think if I am playing in odd keys, other than C, G, D, an A, I would capo.
  3. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    I use a capo from time to time with the bouzouki, usually to get keys I do not usually play in, as when accompanying a singer. I favour the Shubb capos over other types and find it is easily fitted and removed; I have never been keen on the Kayser types as they require a lot of squeezing and I think they can put the instrument out of tune if you are not careful.
  4. Eddie Sheehy
    I use a QuickDraw capo on my Dio Dinos - it just slides along with no loosen/tighten required and it 'parks' on or above the nut easily.

http://www.quickdrawcapo.com/index.html
  5. bouzoukiboy
    bouzoukiboy
    I think I will order one up,(quick draw)this week. They are only in the 20 dollar range...and they make one specifically for zouk. Thanksfor the tip...I will let you all know how I get on with it..Dale
  6. Kyle Baker
    Kyle Baker
    I am a slave to my capo sadly. It's the only way to keep my droney playing style in GDAD. I use a kyser, but have a quick draw which I didn't like, and a planet waves that has a tension screw. My old kyser is still my favorite. In a session, I just drop out until I get the capo repositioned and jump back in. Though, I don't session much these days.
  7. bouzoukiboy
    bouzoukiboy
    Hi Kyle..I am presently using a Kyser too. I don' t find that it always works well..especially if you try to move it quickly during a set of tunes...but I guess that might be the case when trYing to move any capo at a fast speed. Your are right about GDAD and a capo..sounds wonderful up the neck with that great drone! Cheers Dale