Wip

1. Altar
    Altar
    Post progress on your current project, as well as pics.
  2. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Just getting started finishing. I used shellac as an initial sealer on the wood and am now using Tru-Oil as a varnish. Depending on how it looks after a few more coats, I may end up french polishing on top of the Tru-Oil. I have also replaced the black plastic buttons on the tuners with walnut buttons I made following Peter Coombe's example http://www.petercoombe.com/Tuners.htm Not sure how to post pictures here as it seems we can only link to pics from URL. Anyone know how to do this?
  3. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    I don't think it's possible unless you link to an external image URL.
  4. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Like this:
  5. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    I just made a photo album of the entire build process so far on my profile page so you should just be able to click on my name and find the pictures there to see them. Seems like that is the easiest way to do it. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try something else.
  6. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    I just made a photo album of the entire build process on my profile page so you should just be able to click on my name and find the pictures there to see them. Seems like that is the easiest way to do it. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try something else.
  7. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Yep got them. Some great pics there. I'm doing some X bracinging tomorrow. Last year it took me 10 hours to fit the X.
    How did the dovetail go? I think I'll make one of those jigs.
  8. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Dovetail went pretty well. I made a fixture to hold the neck at the desired angle on the bandsaw (around 5 degrees I think). I did have some small gaps on the outer portion where the neck fits to the ribs but not bad overall. That is a difficult spot to carve afterwards because of the curvature. I cut the dovetail slightly large so that it would not fit and then used chisels to compound the joint and achieved a nice tight fit that I had to firmly press into place. The X did take a bit of work but I think the result was acceptable. I traced the curvature of the top on the brace using a compass and then cut that on the bandsaw. Once that was done, I only had minimal sanding to get the brace fitted. The little clamps I made to hold the brace, while primitive, did work quite nicely. I roughly followed the instructions found here: http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/...onebarfit.html
  9. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Yeah that's the same way I did it except I used a washer and a pencil the chalk fitted the braces.
    I've seen a few people use that dovetail jig. Wil Hirsch recommends using a 3mm (1/16 inch) bandsaw blade to cut that curve.
  10. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    No sorry it was Jim Hilburn.
  11. John Kelly
    John Kelly
    Some lovely work there, Aaron.
  12. Altar
    Altar

13. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Nice Jag! I like the touch with the Ventures LP... somebody taught you right.
  14. Altar
    Altar
    Thanks! I tend to take a lot of pics with 60's surf and instro paraphernalia. It always just looks right with guitar parts.

The jag is a '65/'66, although a mutt of sorts. I can't afford to use all vintage parts, but the neck, body, wiring, plates, and tuners are all vintage. The tailpiece will be straight off of a '65 AV jag, and the pickups custom wound. Nitro paints, doubtful relic.
  15. AaronVW
    AaronVW
    Cool project! I'll be interested to see how it looks when it's all finished up.
  16. Altar
    Altar
    Thanks! I still haven't got a color.