deciding between 2 mandolins

1. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    I have tried playing before but couldn't find a teacher. Now with youtube that isn't a problem. The Mandolins I am deciding are pretty inexpensive but that where my budget lies. ok so one is a Rogue Black On amazon.com RM-100 A style the other says it is a Sunburst color in A style with F holes. which I don't understand. Please help if you can.
    Kizmit
  2. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit these A and F refer to different styles of mandolin. These mandolins produce different sounds. A for softer genres like classical and jazz and folk, and F style (florentine) for genres llike bluegrass. Good luck
  3. RDRussell
    RDRussell
    Hi Kizmit. I just bought a Rogue A style mandolin from a local guitar player. Online in the USA I saw several deals for around a hundred dollars. But here in Windsor Ontario Canada and I paid $50 cash and another $50 at the guitar shop to have the action lowered along with new strings and a set up for a left handed player. I like the Rogue now and get compliments on how it looks. I do intend to buy a mandolin with better action in the next couple weeks. I bought the plywood Rogue to see if I could get my fingers working on a fretboard. I have a lot of music background as a piano player already. It helps to try several instruments and talk to musicians when you make decisions about what to buy. The first mandolin player I met said learn Handsome Molly first so that is top of my list along with Whiskey Before Breakfast and then Stoney Creek. Good luck.
  4. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kismet, and others - I really hope you find your mandolin. I share so many of your feelings and can empathise. It is hard for me to believe that my mando is with me for almost two months. Really feels as if we have walked miles together. I await your mando with you - with equal anticipation!
  5. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    I notice the strings that it comes with are very thin. I would like to put different ones on what would you recommend
  6. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    I am wanting the mandolin to produce a smooth tone without the tin-e affect does anyone know how I can get this
  7. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kismet
    I would then imagine that you want a more acoustic sound? If so, you probably are not meaning to play bluegrass or rock/ Right? Well, like you i prefer the sweeter lower tones. You would need to consider the strings, I think that is the cheaper alternative to follow for change in sound. I was told by a music store owner selling mandos that the heavier strings, or somewhat thicker ones will produce a "darker" sound. So not too bright or tinny.
    Have you already got your mandolin? If not, you may want to consider a steyl and oval hole mandolins. They are more inclined to produce a softer smoother sound. I hope this helps.

Good luck

Vanilla
  8. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    I haven't purchased my mandolin yet. I am still trying to decide whether to buy it from Musicians friend or Amazon.com. they are both the same price. I just read a review that came from Amazon that said there were scratches on the mandolin when they received it.That was only one review out of a lot though.
  9. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmet I hope you are having some twinges of anticipation over that mandolin arriving. Scratches? That's probably not OK for a new one. However perhaps you need to have a few more reviews to read? If you still wish to change the sound I would consider changes to the strings. Though I say that with caution. Apparently us newbies must steer clear of too thick or heavy strings. So perhaps some lighter strings are better suited. Was told d'addario 77 was ok for newbies like us? Well my mando is vintage, so I took what strings I got. Just like you I prefer the darker less bright or tinny tones. Sweet us honey and soft as velvet - that is what my tone must be like.
  10. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    hi vanilla today i have been listening to the difference between the rogue with the oval hole and the rogue mandolin with the f holes. there's not a lot of difference in the sound, just in the price. the oval is 20.00 more. far as i know doesn't come in black like i originally wanted. that's not really that important to me. I am making my purchase on the first of Feb. I am looking into those strings you mentioned. will they work on both kinds of mandolins?
  11. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmet It interests me that you do not hear much difference. I notice you mention the rogue. Also interesting that oval hole is higher in price. Normally it is the f-hole or also sometimes known as F (Florentine style) mandolins that are more choppy in sound. the a style, pear shaped body with an oval hole normally makes a difference. The strings should work on both mandos, however, I would look into their construction. Our more cost effective mandolins are often not of solid wood and I would cheque that with your music store where you are buying from. My mandolin does not have a tinny or too choppy sound as it is an acoustic mandolin. If I am hearing you correctly you are wanting something sweeter and softer, more to the acoustic leaning?

Do ask the shop personnel who are selling you the rogue. I would ask them about the affect of the string tension of the strings on a mandolin that is perhaps not a solid wood mandolin. That will ensure that strings and the tension do not contribute to any other trouble. I must say I was fortunate, my Crafter, though cheaper, is part moulded out of fibre glass for the back, the top of Ingelman spruce. Be sure to learn all about the construction of the mandolin. We have no rogues in South Africa, so I have never seen them. We have Savannahs, Johnson, and if you are lucky, your store owner knows of a vintage gibson, or another person is selling an Aria bowl back or tater bug as it is known in the USBest of luck

Lately playing
    Omnichord and Crafter m70E Acoustic mandolin
  12. RDRussell
    RDRussell
    Hello all
    I had my first lesson on my Rogue A style this week. After watching many videos and reading several books and blogs, the first lesson was a revelation. With my teacher Mike I tried several different ways to hold the mandolin, several different types of picks and finally he slowly helped me start to strum. My first attempts before taking a lesson sounded very tinny - (with new strings and a good set up from the guitar shop). Just holding the pick properly and strumming at a proper angle made a world of difference. I have a lot to work on before my second lesson. A good teacher is important. It is fun.
  13. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi there RD

So glad we are all sharing our experiences on this forum. That's what I intended. There are, sadly no good teachers for mandolin in SA, anyhow not here where I live and work. Agreed. I experimented with picks yesterday. Even with strumming with the fingers. It makes a world of difference at what angle the pick strikes the strings; also the kind of pick used. I bought two picks yesterday after my rather thin and softer, more flexible Dunlop. Found that the thicker more rigid picks seemed to produce a louder sound.

Kizmet, as for the tinny sound, I would also consider the pick, the angle and the way the pick strikes the strings. So RD certainly agree. My mando sounds less tinny by the day. However, I also think it is acoustic, electro so it is, even though unplugged, still a softer sound.

As for you all who read the diary pieces, just to say that I find huge fun with improvising. I am now going to go and practice scales and work on e minor and e major.

Lately playing omnichord and Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    "There is no time like the present to be picky."
  14. RDRussell
    RDRussell
    Hi to all
    About being "picky"
    Last week the first musician I asked about picks said use a small flexible pick for mandolin and helped me pick out several. Two days later at my first lesson, Mike, my teacher gave me several to try and we decided on a large stiff plectrum. With him showing me how to strum and pick, my Rogue mandolin immediately sounded ten times less tinny.
    Advice on the small flexible pick came from a guitar player. Mike, my teacher, is primarily a banjo player (big pick). In the end, what is most important is holding it not too tightly and getting the angle right on up and downstrokes.
    My Rogue is sounding better all the time. And I am playing 2 octaves of the G major scale and singing the names of the notes as I go along to go slow and steady.
  15. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi RD Russel
    So glad for you. I am also finding picks and the way they are used to make a difference. I have also done some finger strumming -- guitar style. However, I got my first strumming blister on my right thumb so better stick with the pick for a while.
    I am also playing the G major scale in two octaves - really working on my sound. I know a few chords already and I am going to have a mandolin cafe store in our town at a hobbies fair on 16 March. By then I hope to know the basic chords and have a tentative jam with someone on piano. Simple old time songs - it is going to be fun!
    Let us all keep strumming and picking!
  16. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    HI Vanilla and RD, I have found yet another mandolin to choose from tomorrow is the day I am making my final decision. the new one is on ebay. it doesn't list what brand it is, but it's white with gold trim. It is new never been used. I have been looking at different picks and having not played in a long time it is difficult to know which ones to buy. I found some mandolin picks on amazon for 14.95. they look pretty thick.
  17. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmet

Pleased to hear about your mandolin search. The white and gold sounds wonderful. Interested in the brand. More for the sake of curiosity. Not really brand conscious, can't afford to be. <big smile>
    I have found the more rigid the pick of choice, the more powerful the sound. Soft picks, perhaps more floppy seem to sound softer.
    Good luck with that new mandolin tomorrow!

Vanilla
  18. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi Vanilla, the mandolin I bought today was the black Rogue on Musiciansfriend.com I also ordered the new strings to go with it. The D'addario exp77 . I haven't found an inexpensive pick yet. Musiciansfriend says it will take 4-6 days to receive my mandolin.
    I chose the Rogue for my first mandolin because it is inexpensive and it came from a reputable dealer. not to mention it looks good also.
  19. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

Pleased for you. At last. Now we can share your anticipation over the next 6 days - I can empathise. There are so few decent mandolins in SA, or rather ones I am likely to choose in close proximity to where I live that it took quite some time to find that elusive mando.

Do keep us posted!
  20. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    HI Vanilla, I called the local music store the other day and was asking him if he had any Mandolin picks. he wasn't aware that they made picks for the Mandolin. So he called his supplier and ordered me some by Dunlop. they should be here in a couple days.
  21. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

Well, the pick you are getting sound great. I think the thicker the pick the more suitable it is for things electric guitar, That is what I think, as you probably will need something more rigid if one wishes to make a loud noise and therefore the pick attack requires power? Well those perhaps my thoughts, an expert may say not so.

I am sure you cannot wait for the mando and pick to arrive!
  22. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi Vanilla, I realized after talking with the man at the music store on the phone yesterday. that he mentioned he was ordering felt picks so i looked them up and was completely shocked. so I am going to call him back and tell him I am not interested in felt picks. I looked it up and they are made for bass guitar. there was a man on youtube demonstrating a gel pick it looked pretty cool. I'd like to find one of those. it sounded nice.
  23. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

Felt picks? Now that is interesting - always wondered what base guitarists used to get that definitive but deeper sound.
  24. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi Vanilla, I just tracked my Mandolin and it is suppose to be here by the end of the day tomorrow. I can't wait to take my picture with it and post it on here. My neighbor and I were talking today and he was playing his guitar and Banjo. It was fun to hear him play because he is a beginner just like me and he doesn't always go by the book on things. He likes to make things up as he goes along.
  25. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

Wonderful! My heart beats in empathetic anticipation - I am sure you are going to love every moment of the mando. There is such joy to the instrument. I myself am going to try and learn two chords for jazz this evening and work with A and E minor.

Take care and I think we will now be counting the hours to mm (mandolin mania)
  26. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    I too have ordered a Rogue, im very excited to see its quality. But sadly itll be stripped for parts... so i may enjoy the mandolin givin to me by my grandfather. But maybe ill keep the rogue as a back up, or give it too somebody so they may jam with me.
  27. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi mandollellyn

Welcome to this forum. Here it is all about diaries and experiences to share. So I am pleased to see your post as I started to think my attempt at people relating their mando experience and feelings and thoughts was a rather one sided affair. Your grandfather's mandolin? Wow! That must be so special. Do share more.

Regards and happy strumming

Vanillamandolin
  28. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    Ive lived in Illinois for about 11 years, and 5 days ago i moved to Arkansas. My family lives here and its been a good 8 years since i last visited. I build guitars as a hobby and upon visiting my grandfather down here he noticed my hobby, and him being very musical aswell gave one of his many mandolins and thought id enjoy restoring it to a playable condition since he will never do it. So now i have an Epiphone BG-50 that im rebuilding so i may enjoy it, ive been so anxious to play a mando for about three months now and im at the verge of playing it, just waiting for parts to come in the mail.
  29. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    Ive lived in Illinois for about 11 years, and 5 days ago i moved to Arkansas. My family lives here and its been a good 8 years since i last visited. I build guitars as a hobby and upon visiting my grandfather down here he noticed my hobby, and him being very musical aswell gave one of his many mandolins and thought id enjoy restoring it to a playable condition since he will never do it. So now i have an Epiphone BG-50 that im rebuilding so i may enjoy it, ive been so anxious to play a mando for about three months now and im at the verge of playing it, just waiting for parts to come in the mail.
  30. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
  31. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    And im also not sure why it posted that so much lol
  32. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi Vanilla, I practiced with the help of youtube today. I haven't found one video that I like to stay with though. I haven't found that one person who goes real slow and explains where to place your fingers to make the notes. I had fun though finding groups and playing along with them like the punch brothers. oh could you help me with changing my profile picture I don't know how.
  33. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit and Mandoleeland - now I think I got it right mandoleeland

Firstly, Kizmit, I agree. The one good person I found that no one seems to mention is a lady who explains tremolos and how to do them rather well. The link as given on newbies forum. A second one is a fellow at a website musicmoose.org. He has given what I think a slow and well taught lesson in cross picking. Some good books is also one by Pete Martin on music theory. Posting title here shortly.
    Had to explain scales to my husband last night. Gosh, was that a story. He could not understand why some notes were sharp and others flat, why d major has two sharps, why f sharp was f sharp why e flat was e flat. Sheesh, that was a business.

But at last I got through to him. Then I did some cross picking and played a song I love: "Wonderful life" by Colin Veancomb. Had such fun - despite that more work is needed.

Kizmit, about the teachers I find a little of each helps. Do try the site musicmoose.org.
    Mandolleland - I hope you find the parts for your mando and play soon - I understand the mixture of excitement, anticipation and even frustration. Wonderful to have one of your grandfather's mandos. What a link - what a part of him and what a piece of his legacy!
  34. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    Wwell i recieved my rogue today, i was actually stunned at how well the quality is on only a $50 mandolin. I know instruments and i would definatly reccomend this to any player, wether it be a beginer or a veteran looking for a beater to carry around with em. Sadly the tailpiece holes dont match my epiphones and niether do the tuners... but i thought ahead and ordered a set of ping tuners that fit the epiphone perfectly! Ill be jamming on this rogue until i get nice pieces for the epi. And until then ill be pleased because this rogue was way nicer than expected.
  35. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    hi mandoleeland, I'm glad you like your Rogue. I love mine for a first time mandolin. With the new strings it sounds pretty nice. I need a tuner which I plan to buy soon from amazon. It is made by Snark. It clips right on the end of the mandolin. Happy playing
  36. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    Thanks Kizmat. Ive had a snark for a little over a year now and ill never go back to another tuner.
  37. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Mandoleeland
    So pleased you like your rogue. Kizmit, the same for you. As for tuning, I have perfect pitch and have managed to keep my mando well tuned. much like the both of you I love my Crafter for a first time mandolin. Will be saving for a Gibson that is sold by a dealer I am happy to deal with.

Happy strumming and picking!

Playing Omnichord and Crafter M70E Accoustic mandolin
  38. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    Well i have just about every two finger chord memorized aswell as a scale in G. The hardest thing for me is the whole down up down up style picking... aswell as the cross picking
  39. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    I know your sentiment. Do try musicmoose.org. They do give a wonderful lesson in cross picking. The down is quite important for setting things in motion. I am still quite a novice, but every day it is going better and better.

Still working on those two finger chords. YOu have probably seen a list of survival chords with two and three fingers?

I am doing much better now. Now it's just to hold two strings down simultaneously without touching others.

So let's hope for the best.

Best and happy strumming

Vanilla

Playing omnichord and Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
  40. Kizmit
    Kizmit
    Hi Vanilla I finally tried musicmoose.org on youtube and found a good teacher I think. tomorrow I will know for sure when I try him out when I practice. Today I practiced with a teacher on youtube trying to play marry had a little lamb. it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I need a strap for my mandolin so i'm not trying to hold it up with my left hand and play at the same time.
  41. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Kizmit

Glad you found help at musicmoose

In the beginning things could look a bit more difficult on the mandolin, however, you will see it all falls into place.

I myself need a good teacher for a fine lefthand technique. Also working on sound and muscle memory for each fret, especially when playing chords.

Keep pickin' and strumming.

Vanillamandolin
  42. mandoleeland
    mandoleeland
    Well, i set the epiphone up, and wow does it sound better than the rogue. I thought the rogue sounded good in my opinion but boy was i wrong... and i believe the epiphones laminent aswell so if it sounds this good i cant even imagine a full wood body one. Kizmat when you upgrade from your rogue or atleast try something different from it you will be majorly surprised.
  43. Pasha Alden
    Pasha Alden
    Hi Mandoleeland

Pleased you find the epiphone to be great. I myself am going to have a second mandolin, but saving for it with the hard earned 13th check to pay for it. I will then alternate between the two mandolins. Finding good mandolins in SA is tricky as this is not mandolin country - but perhaps I have already said that?

Happy strumming

Vanilla
  44. RDRussell
    RDRussell
    Hi Kizmit
    Congrats on getting a mandolin. I have a Rogue also and am enjoying learning. The Web is great but a couple of lessons at the start make an incredible difference. Then just enjoy it every day.