Kudos to All

1. Don Grieser
    Don Grieser
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't spend much time on the rest of the messageboard these days. There it's mostly talk; here it's mostly playing. I'm really enjoying all the tunes everyone posts--I'm hearing tunes every day that I've never heard before. And it's great to see everyone participating no matter where you are on your mando journey. Kudos to all!

I can't keep up but I'm learning a lot of new tunes or at least making a list of tunes I want to learn from all the tunes posted here.

And Barbara, you're doing a great job keeping it all going.
  2. Barbara Shultz
    Barbara Shultz
    Don, I was thinking about posting a very similar sentiment! I've got a big stack of tunes I've printed out that I want to learn, and I really feel like we are getting to know one another, almost like we're sitting around and playing together! I want this to be a place where the beginner just starting out, and the seasoned professional musicians, all join in and contribute! We all have so much to learn from one another! Keep 'em coming!
  3. Eddie Sheehy
    Ditto
  4. Tracy Ballinger
    Tracy Ballinger
    I am very much enjoying this group for all the reasons stated previously. It helps so much to see and hear, rather than just reading and trying to apply. And I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to think that everyone on the Cafe can play like Mike Compton and I'm just light-years behind, so it's helpful to me to know that I'm not the only one who is still improving. Thanks so much, Barb (and everyone else)!
  5. Bertram Henze
    Bertram Henze
    This group got me spending 30 Euros for a better video converter to make my videos move more fluently - which is a lot for an old miser like me. This, if nothing else, shows what it means to me.
    So much fun. As far as I remember Bill Kilpatrick started the basic idea with his Whiskey-before-Breakfast challenge, and Barb took it to a next organized level. Now we do not just have a virtual session/jam, we have a global 24/7 festival going on and no sign of anybody leaving... Reminds me of that flying party in "Life, the Universe and Everything", let's hope there are no Krikkit robots on the way. Who's got the silver bail?

Bertram
  6. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Also, I was thinking that having all these different versions of these old tunes on Youtube will make a great resource for those learning in the future.
  7. Daci
    Daci
    Yeah,it's really interesting to see how differently some of these old tunes are played.
  8. Mike Romkey
    Mike Romkey
    I'm digging this the most. I already knew "Road to Lisdoonvarna," but beyond that, every one of these tunes has fallen into the "I wish I knew that" category. It's been wonderful to see all the different approaches and skill levels. If this keeps going for a year, there will be a whole lot of folks of varying skill levels who will share have a common tune vocabulary ... and be a lot better players for the time they put in. Who wouldn't like to show up at a jam or a friend's house and know their way around 50 often-played mandolin tunes? That will be quite an asset to have. Onward!
  9. SweetTea
    SweetTea
    This message board is the best!! I have learned so much about my playing that I didn't know. This was the first time I recorded myself playing and it has taught me to really "listen" to my own playing. The first thing I noticed was how harsh my picking had become. I play in a really friendly jam session on Saturday mornings and I guess my picking has become really harsh sounding in my attempt to play louder when I am leading songs. Now I am trying to find a better balance between volume and good tone. Also the help I have received as been just like taking private lessons for free! I travel al ot so it is difficult for me to take regular lessons. But this site has worked very well from the very good feedback that I have been given. The musical playing on this site makes it a great value. I think this type of content could help other message boards like the FFcP session. I have thought about playing some of the scales and uploading them to get the ball running. I would hope that I would get the same type of feedback that I get from this group. By the way if you see something that I can improve please let me know. I really want the feedback.
  10. billkilpatrick
    i agree - this has been the perfect entree to real music ... actual playing as opposed to chat.

mind you - the board is good for a giggle or two and i wouldn't want to abandon that.