Introduction

1. DataNick
    DataNick
    This social group is intended to facilitate networking, support, and information relative to those of african heritage who play the mandolin. Membership is not intended to be exclusive of any particular ethniicity; all are welcome! My primary goal in establishing this group is to provide a forum for networking within the greater mandolin playing community. As a black man who plays the mandolin, so far I've always been THE raisin in the oatmeal at jams, events, etc. After reading/referencing Rich Delgrosso's site and other sources of information, I was suprised to learn that blacks have played the mandolin in blues and other genres in the past, and certainly today as well, Dr. Richard Brown being a prime example! I want to emphasize that this group is not intended to be exclusionary, but rather a resource for sharing our experiences in our journey to the wonderful instrument that we all love, the mandolin.

So if you've got a story, a question, an anedote, a social question, networking concern, or what ever, feel free to join and/or post. I look forward to the input of the greater mandolin cafe community!
  2. Dr H
    Dr H
    Hi DataNick,

Just cruising around the site, and stumbled on your little social group here. Most of these groups seem pretty quiet; I'm not sure a lot of people realize they're here. I've been a Cafe member for two years, and I only learned the difference between "forums" and "social groups" yesterday.

Anyhow, as to being the "raisin in the oatmeal," I may know a little of how that feels. I'm primarily a guitarist and for several years I was the only whitebread in a reggae band. (Or, as the guys in the band put it, "the baldhead = no dreads, mon")

Good luck with your group.
  3. DataNick
    DataNick
    Dr. H,

Thanks again! and stay in touch!
  4. Dr H
    Dr H
    So, I did a little web research, and connected with two of the references you mention:

http://www.mandolinblues.com/story.html
    http://www.reunionbluegrass.com/theband.html

And also this, which really intrigues me because “Louie Bluie” apparently also played ragtime:

http://www.fretboardjournal.com/feat...ts-louie-bluie

Gotta order a copy of this DVD...
  5. Ayo
    Ayo
    I am new to Mandolin Cafe. I too stumbled across your social group DataNick. I had to say I was fascinated by the LOUIE BLUIE story and wanted to say thanks to Dr H for highlighting it. I have been watching it on youtube and finding it a fascinating slice of music history as well as a great way to find out about key Black players. I am very new to mandolin (3 months) but I come to it as a violin player. Both instruments seem to share a rarity of Black players as I too am often the only Black person playing in the classical ensembles (orchestras) I find myself in!
  6. Steampacket
    Steampacket
    Just saw this group exists today. I bought a mandolin on the 1st of May this year from a couple that play oldtimey music. It's a Kentucky 630 F-model they bought in Nashville, 2011. I'm very pleased with it. It cost around 700 USD when new, it's a good entry model, good enough for me as a beginner. It has that throaty, woody sound and is nicely finished. I'll use it to learn to play old timey tunes. I live in southern Sweden and there are a number of people playing oldtimey around here and in Denmark. My girlfriend and I are deep into hardcore Irish traditional music and have played and travelled to Ireland each summer for a number of years now. She plays the fiddle and I play the uilleann pipes and timber flute. But we're both interested in giving old-time music a go. I played the guitar for over 30 years in blues and rock bands, but have always had an interest in folk music and country blues. I was finger picking all through the 1970's and '80s, Robert Johnson, Son House, Blind Willie McTell etc. English folk music too of course, I'm English, so I was influenced by Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, John Martyn, Martin Carthy etc. Still have my guitars but it's years since I've played them as the pipes and flute take up my time musically. Still we're hoping to learn some old-timey tunes and join in some jams. There aren't many musicians of African descent playing Irish trad., but I just play what I like and it's never been a problem. Some mandolin players I like are Yank Rachell, Ry Cooder, Sierra Hull, Sarah Jarosz, Chris Thiele, Sanja Vrancic
  7. BJ O'Day
    BJ O'Day
    I don't fit the description for the group, (more like the marshmallow in the oatmeal). I joined to post a reference to a very good documentary called "This Ain't No Mouse Music" It is about a man and his drive to record many types of American folk music. He is responsible for "saving" many artists and their work that would not have been preserved otherwise. It's available on Netflix. I really enjoyed it.

BJ
  8. DataNick
    DataNick
    Steampacket,

Thanks for posting wonderful Introduction. BJO, thank you for the reference.!

Keep the contributions coming!