new Eastman 505

1. mtm
    mtm
    hey all... I've been playing for ~6mo and I'm happy enough with my new 505 that I joined the Eastman group ! Had it less than a week. I have pics posted in the "General Mandolin" forum. Here's a restatement of an anecdote about Eastman quality that I wrote in that post:

Interestingly, with respect to Eastman quality, I found myself with a guitar-player friend at the local Music-Go-Round (they sell used equipment) a couple of months ago (before I'd considered a mando upgrade), and there were no acoustic guitars that caught his eye, but I mentioned there was an Eastman and that the Eastman mandolins had a good reputation with the mandolin players, so he gave it a play. After 10 minutes, he said "I'm buying it". I told him to not be so impulsive, and at least sleep on it ... he bought it the next morning and likes it very much.

Ok, so a couple of questions about the 505... first, through a couple of bone-head moves, I snapped the first E string. I got a couple of packs of J74s, and just replaced the one string. Strings are so new, no need to change them all out, right?

Second, there is a post here about the difficulty in getting a strap under the strings at the headstock. It's tight, but I just pushed my strap through. Will that be ok or should I look for something thinner?

Alrighty ... I look forward to the day when I can do the 505 justice...