Working with Marty on a new instrument

1. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    I ran across Marty and his website when I joined Mandolin Cafe and started trying to educate myself about how to get a first mandolin. After flailing around for weeks looking at classifieds here, checking eBay obsessively, talking with sellers (some more helpful than others), I noticed Marty's posts here and saw that he was a maker and decided to check out his site. I was immediately drawn to his sense of design, which is highly refined. These are mandolins like no other. I then contacted him and started a conversation. When I found that purchasing one of these beauties wouldn't set me back any more than a mediocre "vintage" Gibson, and much less than most custom builders, I was ready to get started!

"But how do you start with someone like me--a complete newb?" was my question. The standard advice is to look for an instrument that has the sound that you desire. But in my case, I had no idea. (Probably the only thing I really knew was that I did NOT want an "F" style instrument--just not my cup of tea, at least visually.)

Marty suggestion was perfect: get the "Tone Poems" CD (David Grisman and Tony Rice playing a series of tunes on highly-prized vintage guitars and mandolins), and then listen carefully to two sets of tunes (which he provided). After that to let him know which ones "got me going." Also: no cheating by reading the CD's liner notes/booklet which have pix and notes about the various instruments being used.

I got the CD and spent several hours listening to his lists, going back and forth comparing the tracks on the two lists. It was a great exercise. I then listened to the whole album and going back and forth some more.

When I finished I reported back that if I had to choose one of the instruments it would be the one played on "I Am A Pilgrim." That one seemed to me to have a tremendously "alive" sound with a lot of really nicely balanced overtones. It also had a fantastic dynamic range--which David Grisman demonstrated ably. I was quite proud of myself when I learned that I had picked out "Crusher," Grisman's 1923 Loar F-5.

But, I also liked the completely different sounds on other cuts like "Good Old Mountain Dew," (Gibson A2Z-1924), "Banks of the Ohio," (Epiphone Strand, 1937) and "I Don't Want Your Mandolins, Mister," (the one and only A-5 Loar) and some others. I really liked the round, thunky, but still very musical sounds from those kinds of instruments.

(Note: after a lot of further listening I can see that the A-5 Loar is really something special, but I didn't recognize it during the "blind" testing--which a good reason for doing it blind. It would be hard not to be influenced by that instrument's rep!)

Additionally I had already let Marty know that I *really* like the sound of David Mold's Silverangel A-style, F-hole. I think that instrument is really special too. David is "OldSausage" here and has links to his many YouTube vids here. I love the sound of his mandolin and I also think he's an excellent player.

Marty informed me that my prognosis wasn't great--that eventually I would probably want a couple of different mandolins. But he is going to keep all that feedback in mind and has some ideas about how to approach getting a sound that I'm going to like in one of his new batch of instruments.

Most people here are probably somewhat familiar with Marty, but a visit to his website will give you a good idea of what he's up to on his quest to produce "...affordable instruments with great tone & playability." I'm really looking forward to seeing what he comes up with! If you don't know about him, check his site out.
  2. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Wow! have to say I am envious.From what I saw and heard at Marty's shop the other night, I know you'll be ecstatic with the finished product when you finally get to play it. I went into our little get-together with several ideas firmly in mind about my next, "step-up" mando, primarily that I absolutely wanted a scroll, and I definitely would have to go with a pacrim, commercially produced instrument. After seeing and hearing all the ear candy there, not so sure about either anymore! That Sweet Little 19, with the "Nouveau" F holes, really hit a nerve with me. If family situations weren't what they are right now, it might have come home! It's gonna take me a while to get there (the piggy bank is working overtime right now), but when I get there, Marty is currently the #1 contender in my mind. Can't wait til you get yours, and we all get a chance to see and hear it!
  3. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Every time I've seen him, Marty's been poking at my Silver Angel, trying to figure it out for you. His current batch don't sound like it, nor do they sound like Crusher, but they do sound great. I'd love to hear David Grisman play one of these.
  4. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Heh, I think David would like the quirkiness of #21. I think I would be too embarrassed to be in the room, though. I brought my #14 to show Tim O'Brien at Eddie's Attic, but chickened out. Not sure why, he's about as laid back and approachable as musicians get.
  5. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    AW man. That's the sort of thing I'd do Marty. You've got to get out and sell yourself . It's not easy or nice I know but it's got to be done. Once people know about your mandolins, they will sell themselves. I showed mine to one of Australia's best fiddle players tonight (luckily he lives in Blackheath and was doing a gig in the next town). Also I've know his girlfriend for about twenty years. ...but I was still nervous about showing him my mandolin. Then I thought "you only live once". Got myself an invite to their place for some jamming ( I don't think they realise how badly I play).
  6. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    If I remember, #21 was the light-top dual-hole that David (OldSausage) was playing late in the evening. It does have a voice all it's own, doesn't it? I agree with Pete,Marty. Don't be shy about trying to let well-known folks in on your instruments. I think both you and they will be pleasantly surprised. Hey, we Atl folks know you won't be our secret for too long!
  7. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    There are a couple of the latest batch (if not any of them) that I'd probably be very happy with ;-). I really like the sound of #16 a lot, even though it's a completely different sound than the Silverangel.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I think that's absolutely true, Stephen. Having had more of a chance to play it the other day, it is a very fine sounding instrument indeed, and I think the ease with which it plays would be a big advantage too.
  9. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    I had a good talk with Marty yesterday and we nailed down the specs on my new mandolin.

I really liked the appearance of the two "Bow-Tie" models (#'s 20 and 21) in the last batch, so we changed the sides (and neck) to African mahogany and back to maple. Fingerboard remains ebony, but with the same inlay as David's #21. Ebony headstock overlay.

Top is going to be a beautiful piece of Alaskan yellow cedar for which we have high hopes.

We played around with the idea of using a tinted top, but that cedar is just gorgeous as-is. Very slight yellow hue that just fits perfectly with the ebony fingerboard and the "simple" vine inlay. Yum.

It's good to have it nailed down and now I can just look forward to seeing it transition from the imagination into "reality."

STP
  10. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Sounds like it's going to be REALLY nice!
  11. bigbendhiker
    bigbendhiker
    Can't wait to see that one. I'm sure you're having a tough time waiting.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Sounds really interesting, Stephen, I'd love to see how that one turns out. I hope I get a chance to try it out before Marty ships it.
  13. Stephen Porter
    Stephen Porter
    David,

After I saw #21 up close, I elected to go with something visually similar. It will be an interesting comparison for sure. Cedar/spruce; Noveau F/ovals; deeper body. You are designated official tester....I can't wait to hear it! I'm sure Marty will have more mando testing parties. Besides being a lot of fun, the videos produced are excellent marketing tools.
  14. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    This batch is starting to take shape, and I can't wait to start cutting sound ports and refining graduations next week.
  15. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Oh the anticipation,like a kid waiting for christmas.The fretboard (and every thing else) looked phenomenal on #15.
  16. weir
    weir
    Hi...new to the forum and this group, however, I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of #20 Blacktie #1, which should be here anytime now... Marty has been nothing short of gracious and answered all my questions concerning this beautiful piece... Will update everyone when I receive it... tom.
  17. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Oh, you're a lucky man, Tom!
  18. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Welcome Tom. Looks like Christmas is coming to many of us at once. I should receive #18 tomorrow. Marty sent me pics today that are just stunning. If he doesn't beat me to it, I'll post them on the forum later this weekend. I'll also trade impressions with y'all after #18 arrives... that is if I'm not too distracted.
  19. weir
    weir
    Thanks David... and thanks for your many songs on each one of marty's mandolins that helped me to pick #20... I've been playing for many hours now... #20 is exceptional to say the least... And the pictures don't do it justice...I was able to sit down with a friend of mine who has a Collings MT oval hole, and he commented on how sweet and responsive the sound was from #20... Of course to my ears #20 sounded much better than his Collings, and another benefit is the #20 does'nt look like every other mandolin out there... Fit and finish incredible... plays like butter...(just like Marty said it would..)Steve-O, I hope this adds to your excitement... Alas, it's off to hours into the night of new mandolin enjoyment... A big thanks to Marty for an amazing instrument... tom.
  20. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Tom, I'm glad it's working out for you. I guess it's too late for me to ask for it back, then?
  21. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Congratulations Tom, and for you tomorrow Steve. I think I'll pitch a tent out by the mailbox when mine is set to arrive (kidding of course) but you know what I mean, very excited.Looking foward to your picks.....Kris
  22. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    I'm just now catching my breath after taking delivery on #18 and playing it until my fingers hurt. You can catch my initial review here. I see Marty's current avatar is #18, and understandably so. He should be very proud of his creation. As I said before, he hit a home run with this one!
    Cheers,
    Steve
  23. weir
    weir
    Sorry Marty, can't have it back... it's already been approved by the wife... Seriously, it is a fine work of art and sings in the hands...
  24. weir
    weir
    In case anyone is interested I have to unfortunately put up the black tie #20 mandolin for sale as I have a financial situation because of a family event. I have spoken to Marty to let him know that it will be up in the classifieds and he was very supportive. I am also including an oblong featherweight arched case with it.... thanks, tom.
  25. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Sorry to hear that Tom, shouldn't be for sale for long. I saw 2 for sale and wanted one, went and had lunch came back and both were gone. I'm getting 24 or i'd jump on it. Hope everything works out for you.

Kris