picks

1. JeffD
    JeffD
    So I am not going to promote blue chips or decry them either. In line with the themes of this group I am thinking about the tendency to care over much what picks other mandolin players use, and especially what picks the super stars use.

Someone mentioned in one of the BC threads something about everyone agreeing on a pick. It struck me as surprising, but perhaps not so much in hindsight. Is there a (perhaps less than conscious) tendency to want to conform in pick use. Or to pointedly not conform (which is equally silly).

When I see a thread about "what is your favorite pick" I have the urge to say, "why on earth would you care?" But instead I am of the "try 'em out and choose what you find best" type comment.

I can't even agree with myself on what pick to use. I switch picks for different tunes, different venues, different mandolins.
  2. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    I think that PPP (Perfect Pick Pursuit) goes right in hand with MAS. Everybody is in search of that elusive "Sound". "If I just had a '24 Loar, If I just had a BC pick,I'd sound just like....insert name of favorite mandolin player."I know when I hear that Thile, or Bush, or Grisman, use whatever gear, it makes me want to check it out.Hey, I'm new to mandos, so I'm still looking. It just takes a while to realize that you have to go with what feels, looks, sounds best for YOU. I know this goes against collective thought, but I'm just a rebel that way!