Jacobson mandolin advice

1. bigbendhiker
    bigbendhiker
    So I'm ready to purchase one of Marty's mandolins. I emailed him with my thoughts and a few questions. I sent it a little after 10pm his time and he responded with a very detailed answer. I think his reply came about 4 minutes later.
    The three that I am choosing from are #'s 15, 16, and 20. Marty said that several of you in this group had played all of them and that it would be a good idea to get your opinions. I just started playing a few months ago so playability is important to me. I'm mostly playing familiar tunes and hymns now, but once my skills improve I will start playing some bluegrass too. I will mostly be playing for my personal enjoyment, but don't want to be limited in the future by my choice.
    So of the 3 I have listed what are your thoughts? I won't tell you what Marty suggested until later. I'm at work now typing this on my phone. If you have any questions for me just ask.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. Tom Haywood
    Tom Haywood
    See my post in the video thread for this group, posted about 2 minutes before yours.
  3. bigbendhiker
    bigbendhiker
    Ok, thanks. From what I've read previously I gather that the one that sounded louder upon playback was #16?
  4. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Yep, that was #16. I have that recording, hope to post it this evening.
  5. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    I've put in a fair bit of time on those 3 instruments, and they are each very different, although they do share a family resemblance in terms both of sound and playability. I also own #21. It does seem that #16 is noticeably quieter than the other mandolins in this batch, and it has to be strung with Thomastik Mittels. But when you just play it on its own it sounds fabulous, plenty of bass, and in many ways a darker tone than the other two offer. But when I was playing it and Tom struck up his guitar, the sound seemed a lot smaller. It definitely is quieter, but it does sound great and it is amazingly easy to play.

#15 could be ideal for your needs, it has quite a robust low end and probably has the most bluegrassy flavor of this batch. Although the holes are oval, their positioning and bracing make it the equivalent of an f hole. It's a lot of fun to play. Marty has the action nice and low right now, and it seems to handle that well.

#20 is an oval hole, and has a different feel because of that. When I first played it I wasn't so crazy about it, but then when I watched the videos back from last week I was amazed at how great it sounded. Since then Marty has tweaked the setup on it, and when I picked it up and played it on Saturday, I wished I could have taken it home as well as #21. Even though it is an oval hole, you could comfortably take this to a bluegrass jam. It has a really nicely balanced tone. It's the one I would pick, but not everyone has the same tastes as me.

As a beginner, you would not be making a mistake to buy any of these 3, and you'll have many happy hours sounding really good and playing really easy whichever one you go with.
  6. Marty Jacobson
    Marty Jacobson
    Here's #16 with Greek 'zook and mandolin backup.... nice playing by Tom and David.

7. bigbendhiker
    bigbendhiker
    #16 comes through nicely in this recording with the other 2 instruments. Thanks for posting!

David, thanks for your comments regarding each individual instrument. That's exactly what I'm looking for and it's very helpful.

This statement about sums it up, "As a beginner, you would not be making a mistake to buy any of these 3, and you'll have many happy hours sounding really good and playing really easy whichever one you go with". This is also why it's so difficult to pick just one.

I think I'm leaning towards #15. It sounds like it's the most versatile and would suit me best no matter where I end up going musically and especially if I want to play a variety of music. Not that the other two wouldn't work either. I think it will be a while before my skill is to the point where it would really matter a lot which one I choose. In other words it sounds as if any one of the 3 would be great to practice with and improve my playing.

They all look awesome, but they each have a different look. I would be proud to own any one (or all) of them. I think I slightly prefer the deep rich cognac color of #15 with the cool looking malachite inlays versus the natural finish of the other two. But it's really close. I like the pumpkin top of #16 and the natural polish on the back shows off the maple really well. #20 to me has a really classy sophisticated look with the contrast between the natural finish and the deep rich browns.

I think it's amazing what Marty comes up with. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.
  8. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    It's true, the worst thing about Marty's mandolins is that you can only have one.
  9. Pete Jenner
    Pete Jenner
    Why?
  10. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Well, I suppose you could have as many as you like as long as you've got the cash - I don't think Marty's actually rationing them... yet.
  11. bigbendhiker
    bigbendhiker
    Update.
    I spoke with Marty on the phone this morning and discussed the 3 mandolins that I was considering. When I initially expressed an interest in purchasing one he replied with an explanation of each one's strengths and what he thought they would be best suited for. Marty recommended #15 as an easy to play mandolin with great sound throughout it's range and it would give me plenty of room to grow as my ability improves. It should serve me well for a long time (which will make my wife very happy.)
    So, I am excited to say that I have purchased the Jacobson Nautilus #15 and it should arrive sometime next week. Needless to say I can't wait for it to arrive.
    Thanks to those of you that gave advice and to all of you that have played, recorded, and posted videos of the various mandolins.
  12. OldSausage
    OldSausage
    Congratulations, that's one cool mando!
  13. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Nice choice! You're gonna be a happy picker for a long time.Congrats
  14. Steve-o
    Steve-o
    Excellent choice bigbendhiker. #15 is a real beauty with a nice vibe. I'm a sucker for birdseye maple too. Congrats.
  15. dusty miller
    dusty miller
    Congratulations bigbendhiker, I bet it can't come fast enough.Have fun, the way those posted videos sounded you got yourself a great instrument.