Should I buy it?

1. MandoPlayer
    MandoPlayer
    Hi! I've heard lots of good things about Big Muddy/Mid-Missouri mandolins and I'm thinking of getting one. There is a M-11 in the classifieds. I contacted the seller who lives about 75-100 miles from me and said the price would be reduced if I picked it up since it wouldn't have to be shipped. The price would be $500 and would include a case.

I was told it's new and in mint condition. The seller has too many mandolins and wants to thin the herd.

I don't really need another mandolin (I have a KM-254), but I've heard that a MId-Mo is easy and fun to play.

So should I get it? I appreciate your advice!
  2. BillC-PA
    BillC-PA
    I would have purchased that one if I had a way to see it before purchase. At $500 you are getting a great deal as that list for more than $800. Here's a youtube video of one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmLZAKayERM
    I believe it is a 'wide' model which will be 1 1/4 at the nut. Not sure if that makes a difference to you or not.
  3. MandoPlayer
    MandoPlayer
    Bill, I went ahead and bought the Big Muddy today. The seller told me she only bought it a couple of months ago. It has a really nice case too. I have been playing it since I brought it home and I've enjoyed playing it. It certainly sounds different from my Kentucky KM-254 and I can see how the Big Muddy would be more suitable for Celtic music. It doesn't sound as "woody" or deep as my Kentucky, but then again it has a round hole instead of the F-holes like the Kentucky. I think the more I play it, the more I'll get used to the different sound of it.
  4. Martin Jonas
    Martin Jonas
    Congratulations on your new mandolin! One thing to keep in mind when comparing it to your Kentucky is that the M-11 is a very unusual mandolin even in the Big Muddy range. It's all-mahogany and one of very very few currently made mandolins with a non-spruce/cedar top. The tone is more mellow and warm (and probably quieter) than a spruce-topped Mid-Mo. Owners of the M-11 tend to be quite enamored with the tone.

I have the big brother of yours, the only all-mahogany octave mandolin that Mike has ever made, and it's a wonderful instrument. I'm sure you'll have a lot of joy with yours, once you have explored its characteristics and best to apply it.

Martin
  5. billkilpatrick
    didn't you do well! - congratulations. when i pared down my collection (it had to happen) i gave my M-0 to someone who formerly played a bowl-back. she was delighted - "much closer to the sound i had in mind," she said.
  6. bratsche
    bratsche
    Well, if Martin has the big brother to yours, I guess I have the big sister to yours! Or something. I've never particularly thought of it as a female, but who knows? I have an all-mahogany M11-M mandola that is signed by Mike Dulak. I'm not sure if he's ever made another like it or not, but this is definitely a rarity in any case, because he's never advertised such an instrument on his site. It's one of my MidMo/BigMuddy family which now numbers 3 (I used to have an M-11 mandolin, which I regrettably sold.)

Congratulations. and welcome to the club.

bratsche