Gratitude...

1. Markkunkel
    Markkunkel
    Hi, folks.

Jeanette and I watched a film the other night, Surviving Progress, that left me with the impression that I am going a bit too heavily in the world. We already eat minimally and well, do what we can to save energy at home, compost and garden and all that, and I ride my bicycle in lieu of a car whenever possible. But I looked at all the instrument cases...the upshot is that since then I've sold three guitars and have an octave mando up for sale, and if feels like a very good thing to streamline.

I'm telling you this because I was playing #17 last night and thought what a nice reminder it is of living simply yet beautifully. I know, some magical machine working as an extension of Marty's head and heart was his hands for some of the build, but the end result belies these origins: it's simply, beautiful, built with a minimum of waste and excess and a maximum of function and elegance. I'm planning to keep it as long as I am playing.

Early in the film various people are asked to consider and tender a definition of "progress," and they take their time. Part of my definition this morning, I think, would be, "coming to love what we have."

Thanks, Marty.

Mark
  2. Tom Haywood
    Tom Haywood
    Where is the "Like" button when you need it? Mark, I like your observation.
  3. Michael Bridges
    Michael Bridges
    Part of my definition this morning, I think, would be, "coming to love what we have."
    Nicely put, Mark. If more people (yours truly included) could maintain that attitude, this ol' world would be a lot less stressed-out, and more at peace.