Pava #1

1. Russ Jordan
    Russ Jordan
    I snagged Pava #1 from Fiddle and Fret (formerly Bishop Violin Shop) near Asheville NC last March. Shop owner Danny Bishop is an Ellis dealer who brought the Pava back from IBMA last fall. It sold pretty quick, and later the owner traded it back in for a guitar or something. Since the photos were taken, I have added a James tailpiece, an ebony abbreviated pickguard, and an abalone truss rod cover.

Initially the neck took a little getting used, as it is a rounded "C" shape, and my other mandolins are v necked. Now that I am used to it, I like the neck shape.

As you have read elsewhere, fit and finish are excellent, playablility is great, and tone is wonderful. It may not be as loud as my F5, but is getting louder as time goes on. Tone is very nicely balanced across all strings. I think these mandolins are a great value. There are new models coming out, which you may read about at The Mandolin Store and Elderly.
  2. Sid Simpson
    Sid Simpson
    I'm on the other end of the current production, having acquired #26 from the Mandolin Store a couple of weeks ago. I echo what you said above. Sweet, responsive, and even in tone and volume up and across the fret board. It's a beautiful instrument and I am looking forward to hearing how it changes over time.