Deep Elum Blues

1. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Haven't recorded a "blues" tune in a while. Here's our version of the "Deep Elem Blues". We call ourselves the Saw Mountain String Band and exchange our recorded tracks via the internet. That's me playing the mandolin, guitars and singing the lead. Marcy does the vocal harmony and fiddle. Her husband, Jeff, played the upright bass. (I've never actually met Marcy or Jeff except via the internet...)

2. ald
    ald
    Dear Michael,

Well done. I am curious. How do manage to record with the others if you never me them? Do you do it over the Internet? If so, how and using what equipment?
  3. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Hi ald,
    We all exchange e-mails and make a tentative arrangement with instruments and who will play what. I recorded the backup guitar with an intro, the slide guitar and lead vocal leaving room for Marcy and her husband to do their tracks. I mixed the tracks in Cubase and sent them a high quality mp3 mix which they use to record their individual tracks. Marcy recorded her fiddle and vocal on separate tracks and Jeff recorded his stand up bass, also on a separate track. They first inserted the mp3 in their recording software, Adobe Audition, and then recorded until they've got what they want. Their individual tracks are then sent back to me as separate .wav files via a file sharing website. I insert their recorded tracks into the original Cubase file and mix to get a finished result. Sometimes we have to re-record something but usually not too often. We all decide when the mix is right! (Using trial mp3s). Then I usually make a slide show and post the finished video on YouTube. I use a Mac with Cubase Le 4 and Marcy and Jeff use a Windows machine with Adobe Audition. That's the shortened version of what happens... usually takes 1-2 weeks from start to finish.
  4. ald
    ald
    Thanks a lot for the comprehensive information, Michael
  5. ald
    ald
    What file-sharing site do you use, if you don't mind me asking?
  6. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    ald: It's the free version of MediaFire -- reliable and gets the job done.
  7. bluesmandolinman
    bluesmandolinman
    very nice Michael
    glad to see you back posting your videos.
    i liked everyone so far !
    thanks for your time
    René
  8. ald
    ald
    Thanks for the information.
  9. Amandalyn
    Amandalyn
    That's great Michael, the way you recorded it was quite an endeavor! I've always wondered about the origins of this song....heard it called Elm, Elum, so is that referring to an Elm Tree or Elumentary?
  10. Michael Pastucha
    Michael Pastucha
    Amandalyn: here's a short documentary about the area named in the song. Deep Elum was apparently a district in Dallas, Texas.

http://youtu.be/i-10Bj4A6Ms
  11. bmac
    bmac
    Wonderful. Thanks for the documentary video as well. Hadn't seen that one.
  12. bluesmandolinman
    bluesmandolinman
    "If you go down to Deep Elum you better put your money in your socks...
    cause the women in Deep Elum will have them "on the rocks"
  13. Frankdolin
    Frankdolin
    That was some great blues!!! SAW rules !!! More PLEASE!!!!